ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #3076
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
I have one of these things on the top of a propane bottle.

You have to leave a door open because the fumes are so bad.. and the door open cools the room faster than this thing heats it

Well that sucks. I was thinking of one of those for the time being at least. Maybe one of those "mr. heater" things?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #3077
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,631
It's ok... you can make do but it's not great. If I'm out in the garage for a few hours I'll have a sore throat afterward for it.

Definitely better than nothing though! I put a small oscillating fan behind it to blow the heat around.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #3078
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,569
I have a quartz space heater in my garage....and carpet on the floor.

I've spent so much time out there in the winter the last few years, with the XR builds and other bike tinkering, the carpet alone was a doGsend for my old bones.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #3079
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
I have a quartz space heater in my garage....and carpet on the floor.

I've spent so much time out there in the winter the last few years, with the XR builds and other bike tinkering, the carpet alone was a doGsend for my old bones.

I plan on insulating, and have at least a rug that I can put out there.

Last time I went to visit my parents in St. Louis, we went to a Home Depot or something, and they sold a wall-mounted heater that was vented to the outside, but you could attach to a propane bottle. I've never seen them here. Maybe next trip to MO...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #3080
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,274
You guys are making me love the simple woodstove in my garage. It's especially nice as a place to set tools you're using, so they are warm when you pick them up!

It came from a neighbor's equestrian arena, where they had it in a small side room, about 12 by 20' and it heated the room too much. In my 24x30 garage, it's perfect! Fuel costs are basically nothing. I feed it with junk mail, and I'm still burning the pile of off-cuts and pallet material left over from building our arena two years ago.

The best thing I ever did for my garage was to install a passive solar heater. It's just a clear plastic panel that sits in one of the garage door openings. If you open the door six inches, the sun shines on the dark metal door, and the heat rises through the opening in the top, cool air comes in the opening at the bottom. At night, simply close the door, and the heat stays inside. If you're working in the garage during the day, you can open the door all the way, and let the sun shine in onto the concrete (thermal mass) and you get the added benefit of beautiful daylight inside the garage. I can't count the days I've worked on some project right inside that clear panel, with the warm sun shining on me, in great light, and a winter wonderland outside that plastic.

The best part is that the whole thing cost only about $100 to build. It's portable, so in summer I move it around to the side of the garage, where it hangs out of the way, so then I can use both garage doors. If I only had one door, I'd have to hinge the solar panel, so I could open it to get in and out. As it is, I use the area in front of the "solar door" to park bikes, or for projects that don't need to go in and out often. I generally leave the solar panel in place all winter.

Another smaller passive solar air heater hangs on the south garage wall next to the door, and serves the same purpose.

Here are some pics and diagrams:

Cowboy screwed with this post 11-14-2010 at 12:37 PM
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #3081
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,884
I have a hot tub.

I can sit in it for hours thinking about my motorcycles.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #3082
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
I have one of these things on the top of a propane bottle.

You have to leave a door open because the fumes are so bad.. and the door open cools the room faster than this thing heats it

Careful using one of those propane heaters inside. I've got one that looks alot like the one above and it doesn't give off much fumes at all. Maybe yours is malfunctioning?

There have been lawsuits related to CO poisoning/death with Coleman propane heaters. You might consider buying a CO detector, just in case...
Old 11-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #3083
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Nice design Ted. Your garage is half the size of my house. And after the epic kitchen remodel, my narrow 1 car garage is now a 1/2 car garage.

*JEALOUSY*
Old 11-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #3084
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey!
Nice design Ted. Your garage is half the size of my house. And after the epic kitchen remodel, my narrow 1 car garage is now a 1/2 car garage.

*JEALOUSY*
My garage is half the size of my house, too!

I'll induce a little more jealousy:

I have yet another garage directly behind that one, though it's just a fabric-covered quonset style structure, with a dirt floor. It's good for keeping a few vehicles out of the weather, cheaply. It's one of these:

Old 11-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #3085
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
:
It's good for keeping a few vehicles out of the weather, cheaply. It's one of these:
Yeah but your "other" vehicles are all British and French and should be used to bad weather.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 11-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #3086
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Yeah but your "other" vehicles are all British and French and should be used to bad weather.
at least they're not two PT Cruisers
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #3087
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Quote:
My garage is half the size of my house, too!

I'll induce a little more jealousy:

I have yet another garage directly behind that one, though it's just a fabric-covered quonset style structure, with a dirt floor. It's good for keeping a few vehicles out of the weather, cheaply. It's one of these:

How did you manage to get that past the investment committee?

And for F's sake, TWO PT Cruisers. Fo' shame...
Old 11-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #3088
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey!
How did you manage to get that past the investment committee?
Easy! I promised to sell a motorcycle to help pay for it! (I never mentioned anything about refraining from buying another motorcycle afterward . . .)

. . . and those PT Cruisers are not mine. Just a stock pic from the manufacturer of the garages. Ben's mostly right: The thing is full of old British and Swedish and Italian cars. Nothing French, though.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #3089
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
. . . and those PT Cruisers are not mine. Just a stock pic from the manufacturer of the garages. Ben's mostly right: The thing is full of old British and Swedish and Italian cars. Nothing French, though.

Brain fart. I was thinking you had a Fiat 124 spyder or 2, and I had "F" for Fiat in my head, and typed French where I meant to type Italian.

"PT cruisers are not mine....stock photo...." Yep, that's what they all say.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 11-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #3090
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,449
my mr heater works well

has low oxy shut off. used it as heat in my enclosed trailer as i camped with small fresh air inlet. No problems. sometimes propane heaters will create condensation inside the area. Even in our drier climate.

I would opt for a double barrel stove if i had a shop... burn paper scrap wood etc
http://www.northlineexpress.com/item...e&kw=5VZ-BK50E

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote