ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #3826
pfb
Riding, not skiing.
 
pfb's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Boulder|Denver|Winter Park
Oddometer: 5,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Why are you guessing that? EarthRoamer is not "new" around these parts. Most of us are very familiar with them. Most of us looked at their photo gallery.......8 or 9 years ago when we first started hearing about them.
Last time I heard any Earthroamer buzz, it was about their Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2009. I didn't know they had emerged out of bankruptcy...

But it does look like the original designer bought the molds and name rights, likely leaving *lots* of debt, commitments to investors, vendor bills, customer deposits and of course any warranty claims behind in early 2010.

I visited their factory several years ago. While they are certainly cool, they just didn't seem anywhere near cool enough to justify their astronomically high pricing. I'd much rather have some sort of converted Mog than spend $300,000+ for what basically is a Ford Super Duty with a custom camper.
__________________
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
950 Adventure 950 Super Enduro 450 XC-W Six Days
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #3827
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion
 
Inane Cathode's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Arvada, CO
Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Last time I heard any Earthroamer buzz, it was about their Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2009. I didn't know they had emerged out of bankruptcy...

But it does look like the original designer bought the molds and name rights, likely leaving *lots* of debt, commitments to investors, vendor bills, customer deposits and of course any warranty claims behind in early 2010.

I visited their factory several years ago. While they are certainly cool, they just didn't seem anywhere near cool enough to justify their astronomically high pricing. I'd much rather have some sort of converted Mog than spend $300,000+ for what basically is a Ford Super Duty with a custom camper.
I never understood how people that make stuff like that 'the oh-thats-cool' type stuff get away with astronomical prices (even though they may be justified). Now i know that they dont, sometimes :)
__________________
_______
Pokey The Wunderbus
The VEEP Project



Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #3828
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
You went "meh" to a 4 banger VW or Toyota and suggested a 350 performance V8.....but a 7.3 turbo diesel is a leap?
Did I say leap?
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #3829
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
I never understood how people that make stuff like that 'the oh-thats-cool' type stuff get away with astronomical prices (even though they may be justified). Now i know that they dont, sometimes :)
If anyone can build it cheaper, they should definitely get into the market.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #3830
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart
 
TinkerinWstuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Northern Front Range
Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Last time I heard any Earthroamer buzz, it was about their Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2009. I didn't know they had emerged out of bankruptcy...

But it does look like the original designer bought the molds and name rights, likely leaving *lots* of debt, commitments to investors, vendor bills, customer deposits and of course any warranty claims behind in early 2010.

I visited their factory several years ago. While they are certainly cool, they just didn't seem anywhere near cool enough to justify their astronomically high pricing. I'd much rather have some sort of converted Mog than spend $300,000+ for what basically is a Ford Super Duty with a custom camper.
I know they used to be somewhere down near Louisville? I was by the building after they'd already pretty much shut down. Now they are in a small building on the east side of I25 and just a stones throw south of CR52

I haven't seen their equipment but I can only imagine - the reason they probably HAVE to charge such high prices is likely due to the fact they haven't invested in equipment that can produce product efficiently.

Becomes a chicken and egg scenario. Can't afford the right equipment to produce product affordably until you sell product - can't sell enough product affordably until you have the right equipment.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #3831
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
I know they used to be somewhere down near Louisville? I was by the building after they'd already pretty much shut down. Now they are in a small building on the east side of I25 and just a stones throw south of CR52

http://maps.google.com/maps?near=Dac...h&z=12&iwloc=A
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #3832
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion
 
Inane Cathode's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Arvada, CO
Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
If anyone can build it cheaper, they should definitely get into the market.
What market? The super ultimate offroad camper truck reminds me of the 'perfect bikes' dreamed up in other forum sections that meets our needs as adv riders well, but virtually noone else. Seriously, how big of a market is there, really, for THAT kind of camper?
__________________
_______
Pokey The Wunderbus
The VEEP Project



Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 AM   #3833
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion
 
Inane Cathode's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Arvada, CO
Oddometer: 4,601
Harness time!
Pow!


Bang!


Zoom!


Got about 12 pounds trimmed out (about a pound in tape and plastic loom stuff too
__________________
_______
Pokey The Wunderbus
The VEEP Project



Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #3834
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,665
looks like a 1950's telephone switchboard




Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #3835
KLXplode
Desert Hunter
 
KLXplode's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Arvada , Co
Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
looks like a pain in the ass
fixed
__________________
Formerly known as ridehard_ridefast

The Collection:
-1985 Bronco II: Top chopped off. Off road lights/bumper. 2 12" subs. 5 Speed manual

-1993 Kawasaki KLX650R(Green Goblin). Trying to plate

"Trials is an amazing sport. You can get hurt really really bad without even leaving the campsite!


"Its not how fast your going, its about how fast your fast comes to a stop"
KLXplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #3836
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
What market? The super ultimate offroad camper truck reminds me of the 'perfect bikes' dreamed up in other forum sections that meets our needs as adv riders well, but virtually noone else. Seriously, how big of a market is there, really, for THAT kind of camper?
A market small or large still is a market.


EarthRoamer is not selling a set of components but rather a system. That system is what people purchase.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #3837
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion
 
Inane Cathode's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Arvada, CO
Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXplode View Post
fixed
Pain in my joints, actually. Sitting cross legged and hunched over for three hours makes you sore o_o
Almost done, though, as far as trimming goes, then i have to power it and ground it :)
__________________
_______
Pokey The Wunderbus
The VEEP Project



Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #3838
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion
 
Inane Cathode's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Arvada, CO
Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
A market small or large still is a market.


EarthRoamer is not selling a set of components but rather a system. That system is what people purchase.
Cool, but if a market consists of four people it doesnt matter what the system is, lol.
__________________
_______
Pokey The Wunderbus
The VEEP Project



Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #3839
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
Cool, but if a market consists of four people it doesnt matter what the system is, lol.

You know, the dislike in this thread for a Colorado company that creates something I doubt anyone this forum can create is staggering.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #3840
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus
 
Cowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Elizabeth, Colorado
Oddometer: 3,281
Wow. Interesting turn of events this morning. It seems our friend DMSfab may have a pending date with a jail cell.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...=945501&page=6

Also interesting to note that he has been offering all over the internet to haul stuff for people on his trip to Reno. I wonder how much of that stuff would wind up disappearing in the "hauling" process?
__________________

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014