ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #3916
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjarrod View Post
Someday I may carry my cell phone with me regularly. Right now I carry it maybe once a month or less (If I'm going to meet someone to ride on the side of the road or some similar situation.)

I have sent less than 10 e-mails in my lifetime. I check my e-mail every other month (maybe). I have a/c in my car. I think I used it once last year. (Though I do turn it on occasionally to keep it from dying, I normally drive with the windows open as often as possible. I spend more time on my computer during non-working hours than most people I know yet I've never sent a text message via phone. In fact I asked my provider to turn that feature off. I've never gone to facebook or twitter or any other social networking site. I figure if someone wants to get a hold of me, they can call (or stop by)and leave a message if I don't answer. I will call them back when I get it. (just like every single person in the world from around 1940something up until the 1980something)

Bottom line is ...live and do whatever you feel fits your life. Don't hassle others for their decisions. We're all beautiful and unique snowflakes.

P.S. What's this foot ball thing? (no television either)
Not that yer gonna listen, but 55mph + AC is more fuel efficient than winders open. Under that? Winders open = more fuel efficient.

Me? I have an HTC Aria. $.01 sale on Cyber Monday. I've dumbed it down enough so I can use it and its STILL smarter'n I am!

M
Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #3917
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,156
My phone is connected to the wall with a fookin' wire, just as doG intended.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #3918
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,035
Quote:
We're all beautiful and unique snowflakes.
Not according to fight club

nice norton
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #3919
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089

Quote:
Someday I may carry my cell phone with me regularly. Right now I carry it maybe once a month or less (If I'm going to meet someone to ride on the side of the road or some similar situation.)

I have sent less than 10 e-mails in my lifetime. I check my e-mail every other month (maybe). I have a/c in my car. I think I used it once last year. (Though I do turn it on occasionally to keep it from dying, I normally drive with the windows open as often as possible. I spend more time on my computer during non-working hours than most people I know yet I've never sent a text message via phone. In fact I asked my provider to turn that feature off. I've never gone to facebook or twitter or any other social networking site. I figure if someone wants to get a hold of me, they can call (or stop by)and leave a message if I don't answer. I will call them back when I get it. (just like every single person in the world from around 1940something up until the 1980something)

Bottom line is ...live and do whatever you feel fits your life. Don't hassle others for their decisions. We're all beautiful and unique snowflakes.

P.S. What's this foot ball thing? (no television either)
Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #3920
SRA
Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
In fact I asked my provider to turn that feature off. I've never gone to facebook or twitter or any other social networking site.

um... er.... ahHEM....

This is a social networking site?

Granted, the manly kind.....

ahHEM...

Technology is fantastic. I'm going to the Texas Gulf Coast to fish. I have not been to this area so I spent the evening on Google Maps actually LOOKING at detailed areas of the back bays. Detailed down to where I can see channels, reefs and stickups and on land both tracks of a two track. I'd have spent DAYS finding out the potable passages by hand. Now I have a roadmap in my GPS to lead me right through, no problem.

I'm old school, for sure. Stayed off data plans (cell phones for that matter) as long as I could. (they sucked for so long, tried it a few years back) Today, though both are affordable, useful and just fantastic. Me likes AC.

I'M IN BABY!!!!

The meek shall inherit the dirt.

Originally Posted by Klay
Climate science is not biased by political matters in any way.
SRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #3921
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Uhg, got a speeding ticket today
And a not-having-insurance ticket (i have insurance, just not the very latest card, cop said thats not a problem just bring it with me to court wtf?)
Never been to court before, he said i have to go cause of my previous tickets (again, wtf? one in the last year, if that). So, i'm not sure what to do. If i did break the law, i wouldnt expect leniency but im not exactly made out of money these days, do they work with you on stuff like that? I feel more embarrassed over it than anything, not really mad aside from philosophical disagreements on what cops should be doing.

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #3922
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
And a not-having-insurance ticket (i have insurance, just not the very latest card, cop said thats not a problem just bring it with me to court wtf?)
Never been to court before, he said i have to go cause of my previous tickets (again, wtf? one in the last year, if that). So, i'm not sure what to do. If i did break the law, i wouldnt expect leniency but im not exactly made out of money these days, do they work with you on stuff like that? I feel more embarrassed over it than anything, not really mad aside from philosophical disagreements on what cops should be doing.
I've been hit twice by uninsured drivers in the last 11 months. I'm out $1,000 +some rental fees +a big pain in the ass. I think they should stop people randomly and check for insurance. Hopefully getting a ticket will remind you to keep the most recent copy in your car.

That said, just take it down to the court and show it to them- it's no biggy.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #3923
MeterPig
Meh

you can plea down the ticket.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #3924
SRA
Why is the rum gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode View Post
The law doesn't require you to have proof of insurance when you are stopped. It requires you have insurance on that day. Show proof and there is no ticket. Even if you bought the insurance after you received the ticket(on the same day)

Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #3925
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,186
I haven't had a ticket in a while.....speeding on the Blackbird in '99 when I lived in Vegas.

Took online traffic school and it cleared the points and lessened the fine. I have no idea what you can still do in that regard these days, but worth checking.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #3926
SRA
Why is the rum gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
I think they should stop people randomly and check for insurance.
Come on, man. I understand your frustration, but you could have had uninsured motorists insurance? It's dirt cheap and every insurance company will try to sell it to you. You had to have elected not to have it.

Randomly stopping people for anything smacks against our fundemental freedom. You can't really be for that? What next? Random stops for drunk tests? Random stops for what? Insurance you are for, how about citizenship? Random stops for aliens? How about random stops for vehicle code violations? Emission checks? Tire wear patterns? Are your taillights exactly 46 inches apart?

It's unconstitutional to randomly stop people for stuff...

I know you are frustrated. Please, just don't loose site of the bigger picture.

Thanks! Had to vent!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #3927
SRA
Why is the rum gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I haven't had a ticket in a while.....speeding on the Blackbird in '99 when I lived in Vegas.

Took online traffic school and it cleared the points and lessened the fine. I have no idea what you can still do in that regard these days, but worth checking.

NICE!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #3928
MeterPig
Meh

It would be great if they made a gas powered version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

Old 01-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #3929
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRA View Post
Come on, man. I understand your frustration, but you could have had uninsured motorists insurance? It's dirt cheap and every insurance company will try to sell it to you. You had to have elected not to have it.

Randomly stopping people for anything smacks against our fundemental freedom. You can't really be for that? What next? Random stops for drunk tests? Random stops for what? Insurance you are for, how about citizenship? Random stops for aliens? How about random stops for vehicle code violations? Emission checks? Tire wear patterns? Are your taillights exactly 46 inches apart?

It's unconstitutional to randomly stop people for stuff...

I know you are frustrated. Please, just don't loose site of the bigger picture.

Thanks! Had to vent!
You are mistaken. Uninsured motorist coverage is for medical expenses which result from an uninsured motorist (or hit and run) injuring you.

Full/comprehensive coverage insurance covers the damage from an uninsured motorist hitting you, so long as you pay the deductable. It is not necessarily cheap. If I didn't have insurance, it would have cost me over six thousand to fix my car and my truck, not including a rental car. Instead, I paid my $500 deductable twice.

Keep in mind that I'm a student. My wife is a CNA at the hospital, and we work hard to keep student loans at a minimum. Those two accidents amount to more debt for me. Debt makes me unhappy. People who get away with hitting me without penalty or payment make me unhappy. Please tell me why they should be allowed to play bumper cars with a responsible driver if they can't afford to insure their car.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #3930
SRA
Why is the rum gone?

Quote:
You are mistaken. Uninsured motorist coverage is for medical expenses which result from an uninsured motorist (or hit and run) injuring you.

I'm not mistaken, as you showed. I said nothing about your deductible. From your post, it seems like you did have uninsured motorist coverage and it saved you a pile of money. You led me to believe you did not, when you were really talking about your deductible. Fine. You choose what your deductible is and you live with it. I'm sympathetic about your income level, but that has nothing to do with the constitution and the right it gives people like you and me.

Quote:
Please tell me why they should be allowed to play bumper cars with a responsible driver if they can't afford to insure their car.
I can not tell you why "they" should be "allowed" to play bumper cars. I said no such thing.

What I meant to help you understand, is that what you propose is a grave violation on your and my constitutional rights. You proposed there should be "random stops to check for insurance" Fine. Would it find violators? Sure. Would it help people like you? Probably not. People (maybe)who don't buy insurance will just pay the fine and not buy insurance.

Will it violate my constitutional right to be free from interference from the government without probable cause? Damn straight!

Will hundreds of thousands of law abiding people, or even millions of people be held up, inconvenienced and harassed against their constitutional rights for the few that get caught? Yes.

Random pull overs violate our basic constitutional right. That's all I'm sayin.