ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #3931
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRA View Post
I'm not mistaken, as you showed. I said nothing about your deductible. From your post, it seems like you did have uninsured motorist coverage and it saved you a pile of money. You led me to believe you did not, when you were really talking about your deductible. Fine. You choose what your deductible is and you live with it. I'm sympathetic about your income level, but that has nothing to do with the constitution and the right it gives people like you and me.
No, it's important that we're using the same language so you don't expect your car to be repaired after being hit by someone when you're really holding medical coverage for any costs over what your personal health insurance covers.

http://www.dora.state.co.us/insuranc...tFAQ100107.pdf

Un/Under insured motorust insurance:
"If you are involved in a serious accident, and the negligent driver has low insurance limits, or does not carry insurance, bodily injury damages are not covered by your policy unless you have purchased this additional insurance."

Collision insurance covers all but totally intentional damage to your vehicle by collision. This is what I've been using to pay for the mistakes of others.

Mostly I was jjust ranting, but if you want to make a big deal out of it, how exactly are DUI stops constitutional, then?
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #3932
SRA
Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post

Mostly I was jjust ranting, but if you want to make a big deal out of it, how exactly are DUI stops constitutional, then?

Dude, I'm not making a big deal out of it. I just disagree with "random stops" to check for insurance. As I disagree with "random stops" to check for DUI.

You know that there are no "random DUI" stops? If the police stop anyone without probable cause, they have to stop every one. And they do. I'm not crazy about that, but that is the law.

No law enforcement agency has the authority to RANDOMLY STOP ANYONE for DUI, Insurance, residency status or STD check. Period.

That is my objection to your proposal. Can we agree on that? Or do you think the police should be able to randomly pull people over and check to see if they have insurance? If you do then we disagree. No big deal.

The meek shall inherit the dirt.

Originally Posted by Klay
Climate science is not biased by political matters in any way.
SRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #3933
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,925
Quote:
Dude, I'm not making a big deal out of it. I just disagree with "random stops" to check for insurance. As I disagree with "random stops" to check for DUI.

You know that there are no "random DUI" stops? If the police stop anyone without probable cause, they have to stop every one. And they do. I'm not crazy about that, but that is the law.

No law enforcement agency has the authority to RANDOMLY STOP ANYONE for DUI, Insurance, residency status or STD check. Period.

That is my objection to your proposal. Can we agree on that? Or do you think the police should be able to randomly pull people over and check to see if they have insurance? If you do then we disagree. No big deal.
Yes, I was talking about the mass stops.

It's like pulling teeth for me to get a plate because of the insurance laws and still people have no insurance. You think we ought to fix that at all?
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #3934
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
DUI checkpoints for $200 Alex.

Quote:

Old 01-13-2011, 04:52 AM   #3935
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,208
It's called the 4th amendment to the US Constitution -

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #3936
Tfogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
First, you are required to carry "evidence of insurance" in your vehicle (CRS 18-42-7, CRS 24-12-102, CRS 10-4-6), and failure to provide proof on reasonable demand to a police officer is cause for a summons to court. The court is under no obligation to dismiss the charge, although it is customary in most cases. Some municipalities (I know for sure Aurora )will still charge court costs, even if the charge is dismissed. (Was $31 in Aurora, plus about half a day of my time to deal with it). The short version is that the easy way to avoid this is to make sure you have a current proof of insurance with you when you drive. The same goes for driver's license, and a signed registration, as they will write nuisance tickets for this as well, if they are so inclined(CRS42-4-1701(3)(a))

Note:I'm not a lawyer(nor do I play one on TV), and the advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it. I also did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
www.tfogwheelsports.com
85 XT350,04 WR250,87 VFR700 (75k miles and counting),01 FZ1 (54K miles and RIP )
Tfogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #3937
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,346
who wants to chip in?

http://www.cbre.com/USA/US/CA/South+...k.htm?pageid=0
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #3938
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

OOH Pick me, How much could it be anyway.

Marc
Old 01-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #3939
MeterPig
Meh

I get pulled over about once every four months (headlight burns out as I drive home in the evening).

Even without insurance and registration (stupid me, it's on the counter at home) sometimes-I don't get popped for that.

I roll my windows down and turn on the interior light and throw the keys on the dash. My hands are in plain view and I ask permission to do everything.

Mostly don't want to be shot-but not getting popped for BS violations is a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfogger View Post
First, you are required to carry "evidence of insurance" in your vehicle (CRS 18-42-7, CRS 24-12-102, CRS 10-4-6), and failure to provide proof on reasonable demand to a police officer is cause for a summons to court. The court is under no obligation to dismiss the charge, although it is customary in most cases. Some municipalities (I know for sure Aurora )will still charge court costs, even if the charge is dismissed. (Was $31 in Aurora, plus about half a day of my time to deal with it). The short version is that the easy way to avoid this is to make sure you have a current proof of insurance with you when you drive. The same goes for driver's license, and a signed registration, as they will write nuisance tickets for this as well, if they are so inclined(CRS42-4-1701(3)(a))

Note:I'm not a lawyer(nor do I play one on TV), and the advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it. I also did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #3940
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
That would make some sweet track days.

Not hard to find at all. The oval track is easily visible from altitude.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...77162&t=h&z=14

MeterPig screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 03:22 PM
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #3941
MeterPig
Meh

Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #3942
SRA
Why is the rum gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
Yes, I was talking about the mass stops.

It's like pulling teeth for me to get a plate because of the insurance laws and still people have no insurance. You think we ought to fix that at all?
Oh. Ok. Maybe you shouldn't use the word "random" then.

I buy insurance on line, shop around get a good deal. There are even companies that shop for you. Beware of their interests. Then I go to the DMV and get a plate. I don't like doing it, but it's not a big hassle. Why is it like pulling teeth for you?

I am not in favor of the federal government mandating insurance. I'm also not in favor of the state government doing it either, but that is not a cut and dried issue like the federal government one.

Where government stays out of, the private sector will fill the need.

I speculate that this could be the case for insurance. If the insurance companies were footing the bill for uninsured motorists, they would be obligated to recover their cost. One way would be the judicial system. As it is today, they have little incentive to litigate. If they suffer substantial losses due to the uninsured maybe they would find other means to recover the cost. As it is today they can pass the cost on to you via higher rates. If those rates were too high for their customers, they would have to find other means or go out of business. Someone would fill the need.

I don't have a solution to the insurance problem. I do know that government is always less efficient than the private sector and usually ends up screwing things up and inflicting itself on my privacy.

If you want to have a big impact on uninsured motorists, start with illegal aliens. Anyone living outside the law is probably uninsured and as is the case with illegal aliens, there is little legal recourse. They disappear, assume another identity. Secure the borders and there will be far fewer uninsured motorists.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #3943
SRA
Why is the rum gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfogger View Post
First, you are required to carry "evidence of insurance" in your vehicle (CRS 18-42-7, CRS 24-12-102, CRS 10-4-6),
Ya, apologies for making you look that up. Obviously to someone who isn't drunk, (ehHEM) if it were not a law to have proof, a police officer could not write a citation. I misspoke. No, I was WRONG. And drunk.

I'm IN to pitch in on the Honda Proving grounds! That would be sweet. Although, closer to home I hear you can get the Colorado Springs Motor Speedway for cheap.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #3944
tatterhood
Sturdy Girl

Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:

If you want to have a big impact on uninsured motorists, start with illegal aliens. Anyone living outside the law is probably uninsured and as is the case with illegal aliens, there is little legal recourse. They disappear, assume another identity. Secure the borders and there will be far fewer uninsured motorists.

Neither of the uninsured motorists who hit us in the past 11 months were illegal immigrants. Both were irresponsible enough to get behind the wheel of their cars without insurance. It has nothing to do with their immigration status or place of birth.

Adventure is a state of mind...
tatterhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #3945
SRA
Why is the rum gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatterhood View Post
Neither of the uninsured motorists who hit us in the past 11 months were illegal immigrants. Both were irresponsible enough to get behind the wheel of their cars without insurance. It has nothing to do with their immigration status or place of birth.
Maybe not in your cases but it does in many. To say the likely hood of a person having insurance has nothing to do with the person being an illegal alien is an exaggeration, isn't it? A question, please tell me different?

It's hard to go after an illegal. It's not so hard to go after a legal citizen. It might be hard to get money from a dead beat, but the vast majority of legal citizens have insurance and/or something to loose. A reputation, job, standing in the community.

The vast majority of illegal aliens have little to loose. Their community thrives on sticking it to the US citizens like you and me. Their community operates outside the law and all they have to do is move, MAYBE, to avoid prosecution. Maybe if their crimes were bad enough they would have to assume yet another stolen identity. Big deal.

That said, the legal status of a person in this country has every thing to do with the likely hood that they will have automobile insurance. Do the math.

It's not so hard to go after a legal citizen. They probably have a job, family and friends. I'm saying many are illegal, but you should not have to spend the time and effort going after the either illegal or legal residents. That should be up to the people you are paying good money to insure you. As it is, with mandated insurance, the insurance companies have little financial gain by going after scawflaws and illegals. Since insurance is mandated, they have a big enough pool so they pass on the added expense to you. If the pool were not so big, i.e. not mandated, the insurance companies might not be able to pass on the expense to you and would have more incentive to go after the scawflaws and illegals or they would go out of business.

Just a theory floating... For now... My argument against mandated automobile insurance. Who knows, it's just a theory...