ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #4306
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,635
Don't buy a new computer that does not have a fire wire port and expect your video camera to work. And then try and find a fire wire to USB adapter.

Marc
Old 02-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #4307
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
In other news, KTM drops price of the 2011 1190 RC8 R

Most uncomfortable bike... eva!

After 20 minutes I was happy to get off of it. If you didn't have a speedlimit it'd be fine because you need to be going 90+mph before the wind lifts your weight off of your wrists.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #4308
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
If you didn't have a speedlimit it'd be fine because you need to be going 90+mph before the wind lifts your weight off of your wrists.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #4309
gfountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrascout View Post
Any don't miss recommendations for Summit Co area this weekend?
I had planned to go skiing with a group of friends in CO this coming weekend. Two weeks ago learned I had a broken foot. So I figure I should lay off the skiing this weekend. So I will be cooking for the group and then looking for other activities to keep me busy.

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations.
If you just want to take it easy the Siverthorne rec center is open to the public for a small fee. A great facility.

'05 R1200RT, '06 WR450F, '11 990 Adventure

AMA, BMWMOA, BMWMCC, COHVCO
gfountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #4310
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,687
I was messing around with Google earth and decided to look at the motocross track out east called Watkins. When I centered up the track I noticed out in the fields towards the right there is an airplane. This track is south of the airport so they fly overhead all the time, but they way Google captured it it looks like it's sitting the the field.

Thought it was cool.
Carry on.

View Larger Map
Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #4311
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Most uncomfortable bike... eva!

After 20 minutes I was happy to get off of it. If you didn't have a speedlimit it'd be fine because you need to be going 90+mph before the wind lifts your weight off of your wrists.
I had the same experience on a K1200S a couple of years ago. Turns out it wasn't the bike, it was me. Primary weight support should be lower back and legs, not on the wrists.

For me - the culprit was a weak lower back, caused by too much time in front of a computer, i.e. the classic computer guy posture.

I recently added full body exercises to my workout routine (dead lifts and squats)and I've already noticed the difference in my posture. I suspect the next time I hop on a sport bike, wrist pain won't be such an issue.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #4312
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,389
this county will be packed holiday weekend... however

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrascout View Post
Any don't miss recommendations for Summit Co area this weekend?
I had planned to go skiing with a group of friends in CO this coming weekend. Two weeks ago learned I had a broken foot. So I figure I should lay off the skiing this weekend. So I will be cooking for the group and then looking for other activities to keep me busy.

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations.
theres tubing at Keystone. snow coaster thing at breckenridge.. Tubing hill in frisco.... dogsled rides.... snow mobile rentals... sunday brunch at the Stube near top of northpeak ...ice fishing... hmm nope cant think o anything....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #4313
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
I had the same experience on a K1200S a couple of years ago. Turns out it wasn't the bike, it was me. Primary weight support should be lower back and legs, not on the wrists.

I recently added full body exercises to my workout routine (dead lifts and squats)and I've already noticed the difference in my posture. I suspect the next time I hop on a sport bike, wrist pain won't be such an issue.
I under stand primary weight support. Unlike the K1200S - true race bikes don't take comfort into account and these bars are LOW to let you get to the positions you need when draggin an elbow.

I used to do ironbutt events on a GSXR1000. I've ridden 1700 miles in 23hours 46 minutes on a gsxr1000. I've done 3000 miles in 3 days on a GSXR1000. I've done countless 1300 mile days on a gsxrs, R1s, hayabusas, and CBRs (distance from my place to parents place).

Because of all this, I don't wanna admit I'm getting old and you are completely correct.

The RC8's bars are lower than my GSXRs, CBRs, or R1s bars ever were, (though i raced an R6 with stupid-low clip-ons which were worse) meaning that more speed is required before you hit the comfort zone (body surfing on air)... if you can hit a comfortable position at all - the bike is made for racing aerodynamics.. not riding in traffic. My GSXR got comfortable about 80mph. I tried running higher bars on it but then the problem reversed - going faster meant that you spent more energy hanging on due to wind drag. Modern sportbikes have zero wind protection so its all about balancing your body mass at whatever speed you are cruising.

On the RC8 I found I could sit completely comfortable in a racing tuck... but that's impractical on the road.

Craig thought the ergonomics weren't that bad

I'm going to the gym an extra session this week now because you made me sad

Geek screwed with this post 02-16-2011 at 11:19 AM
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #4314
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,893
You should join me tonight for my weekly 5K social run with discounted pints afterward. Good group of folks. Free pasta and salad after the run.

Arrive at 6:15, run starts at 6:30.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #4315
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,404
Solution: RC8 with ape-hangers!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #4316
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,404
I'm not a hybrid fan. I consider them eco-status-symbols. Not a lot of bang, quite a lot of buck. Not to mention the battery disposal issues and the fact that 80% of the time somebody is clogging up the left lane, it's a Prius!

...but I just saw I hybrid that I would love to have...

480HP out of the flat six, plus two 80HP electric boost motors. No batteries, energy stored in a flywheel (I wonder if having a big-ass gyroscope in your car allows you to balance on one wheel, and I could use the rear wing as a workbench then not driving 200 MPH)

Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #4317
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfogger View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the helmet cameras that were used weighed something like 9 pounds, and they actually strapped a brick to the other side of the rider's helmet to help balance them out....
I wore a setup like that once briefly, just in a shop. Camera on one side, counterweight on the other. Pretty scary! Move your head to one side and there is so much mass that it just wants to keep going. Would NOT want to have worn that in actual use. I wonder how many people suffered neck injuries using those.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #4318
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
I wore a setup like that once briefly, just in a shop. Camera on one side, counterweight on the other. Pretty scary! Move your head to one side and there is so much mass that it just wants to keep going. Would NOT want to have worn that in actual use. I wonder how many people suffered neck injuries using those.
I remember a really long time in basic training in the Army. We had to start marching 2-10 miles per day to toughen us up. I was in really good shape as I was just 18. No issues with the hiking at all. But, we had to wear the helmets with helmet liners. The liners were sort of like a construction hard hat. The metal helmet fit over that. It didn't feel like it weighed more than 1-2 pounds and may have been less. But after hiking around all day with that damn thing on I felt like a bobble head. The first week of this was merciless and I think everyone felt their neck was going to break. But by week 2 I guess my neck muscles adapted and by week 3 it was a non issue.

Don't underestimate what even a small extra amount of weight on your head can do to your neck. Your helmet is streamlined. Cameras not so much.

T.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #4319
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
I'm not a hybrid fan. I consider them eco-status-symbols. Not a lot of bang, quite a lot of buck. Not to mention the battery disposal issues and the fact that 80% of the time somebody is clogging up the left lane, it's a Prius!

...but I just saw I hybrid that I would love to have...

480HP out of the flat six, plus two 80HP electric boost motors. No batteries, energy stored in a flywheel (I wonder if having a big-ass gyroscope in your car allows you to balance on one wheel, and I could use the rear wing as a workbench then not driving 200 MPH)

\

Or you could buy Slash's '66 Stingray for about $100,000
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...son-corvette/1

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #4320
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
You should join me tonight for my weekly 5K social run with discounted pints afterward. Good group of folks. Free pasta and salad after the run.

Arrive at 6:15, run starts at 6:30.
Thanks for the offer. Right now we are doing Kickboxing Mon & Wed and Bootcamp Tues & Thur. 6pm each night (assuming I can finish work in time). Then we snowboard or mountain bike on the weekends depending on weather.
Unfortunately work & life & such has been interfering with this schedule way to much the past month and a half and all the gains I was making are going backwards

I've never been a runner (always had problems with shin splints) but I've always wanted to become one so I think I need to just push through the pain and make it happen.