ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #8371
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
My question to everyone is what sort of air pumps do you have, do you use CO2 cartridges, or should I just install a port and use my electric pump?
Install a port to use the electric pump and carry a mountain bike pump as well. IMHO
Old 06-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #8372
oio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
My gosh, you are right. It is the same bike. My picture of it was taken in Packwood, WA just south of Mt. Rainier. More power to him!! And with that confederate flag on the box, he must be from the deep South. But since you can see the plate, who knows.
I spent some time talking to the kid who owned the bike. He was homeless and he lived off his bike. He also seemed to me to be of limited intellectual capacity. But, he had excellent street smarts and was very good-natured. He must be a true survivor.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #8373
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
It's been five years since I commuted to work on a bike. Five years later, I choose the DR350 for Parker to Broomfield work. Wow, was it hot.

Yes, the stitch is hot but it crashes really well. A lot better than jeans only. After seeing the photo, I do realize now why people were kind of staring at me.

MeterPig screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 02:06 PM
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #8374
crjdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Cager dodgin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
It's been five years since I commuted to work on a bike. Five years later, I choose the DR350 for Parker to Broomfield work. Wow, was it hot.

Yes, the stitch is hot but it crashes really well. A lot better than jeans only. After seeing the photo, I do realize now why people were kind of starting at me.

Wow Meterpig, kinda glad we were on different commute times after seeing that getup. Ha ha, jk. I only got cut off once on the way in to Thornton today and she gave ME the finger! Silly cagers.
crjdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #8375
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,814
Quote:
Yesterday we went riding up to Taylor Park, Tincup, Alpine Tunnel and Pitkin. And in the process, I got two flats, and Jjustj got one on his truck coming to fetch the bike. Despite that, we had a great day of riding.

My question to everyone is what sort of air pumps do you have, do you use CO2 cartridges, or should I just install a port and use my electric pump?
I carry on of these small stop'n'go setups on the 950 Anne:

On the 500 I carry some CO2 cartridges and small mountain bike "masturbation" pump

Geek screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 01:43 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #8376
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjdirt View Post
Wow Meterpig, kinda glad we were on different commute times after seeing that getup. Ha ha, jk. I only got cut off once on the way in to Thornton today and she gave ME the finger! Silly cagers.
I think my supersuit gives them pause.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #8377
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by oio View Post
I spent some time talking to the kid who owned the bike. He was homeless and he lived off his bike. He also seemed to me to be of limited intellectual capacity. But, he had excellent street smarts and was very good-natured. He must be a true survivor.
Thanks for the info. I tried to find the guy to talk to him about his bike. We were going into a Packwood restuarant and he was gassing up next door, so didn't catch him. Looks like his bike has survived without a scratch. I saw the bike last summer or summer before last and will keep my eye out for him in western Washington and see if I can spot him again.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #8378
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

On the 500 I carry some CO2 cartridges and small mountain bike "masturbation" pump

I have a foot pump that was $10 from O/Reilly's that I carry and works good. When packing is tight I carry only a long stroke bicycle pump. I find changing a tire with either pump is quite easy and see no need for electrics or CO2 on my DR650.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #8379
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Yesterday we went riding up to Taylor Park, Tincup, Alpine Tunnel and Pitkin. And in the process, I got two flats, and Jjustj got one on his truck coming to fetch the bike. Despite that, we had a great day of riding.

I am a strong fan on the Moose Bib Foam inserts. They are kinda a pain the first couple of tire changes, but once you get the process down its not much harder than changing a tire with a tube. I have seen people change both front and rear tires in under 10 minutes while using the Moose Bibs.

Knowing that you can hit any square obstacle on the trail without concern of a pinch flat is priceless in my book. Not having to carry tire tools on a ride is also a plus for me too.
602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #8380
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

Hahahaha! Funny you should refer to it as the masturbation pump. I was thinking that very thing. We were on the Pitkin side of Cumberland Pass when the two flats happened. We stuck a 21" tube in an 18" tire, got most of the bead seated, locked down the rimlock really tight, and then had the tire "unbead" about a mile down the road. It took three of us to get it inflated. I dunno if it had a crease in the tube or what. But at that point, it became easier for J to just go get the truck. I imagine he had a great time flying back to where we had parked at Taylor Park.

I was blown away at how rude the ATV drivers were. Flying by, raising huge clouds of dust, and no one stopping to offer help. And then clotting up the trail and not letting anyone by. Asswipes.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #8381
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
I have a foot pump that was $10 from O/Reilly's that I carry and works good. When packing is tight I carry only a long stroke bicycle pump. I find changing a tire with either pump is quite easy and see no need for electrics or CO2 on my DR650.
I carried a pump until I tried CO2. I can carry four or five cartridges and the inflator for the size and weight of a pump and it is just so much faster and easier, for me anyway.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #8382
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,934
Quote:
I was blown away at how rude the ATV drivers were. Flying by, raising huge clouds of dust, and no one stopping to offer help.
"Retard Chariots".
Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #8383
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
It's been five years since I commuted to work on a bike. Five years later, I choose the DR350 for Parker to Broomfield work.
Mr. Pig, I gotta be honest, I must be a hick, Denver scares the shit out of me in a car, I'm not sure I could ride a bike in that traffic. My moto commute is 7 miles and on a normal day I don't see another vehicle for the first 5. I have about a mile of 70 mph gravel (not a chance of a cop), then about 4 miles of 65 mph asphalt (slight chance of coppage) then the last 2 miles are in what I call Alamosa, our traffic is a little less serious than yours
Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #8384
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
Mr. Pig, I gotta be honest, I must be a hick, Denver scares the shit out of me in a car, I'm not sure I could ride a bike in that traffic. My moto commute is 7 miles and on a normal day I don't see another vehicle for the first 5. I have about a mile of 70 mph gravel (not a chance of a cop), then about 4 miles of 65 mph asphalt (slight chance of coppage) then the last 2 miles are in what I call Alamosa, our traffic is a little less serious than yours
Yes it is sketchy. The heat was the biggest issue. For the most part other drivers kept their distance and I cruised in after rush hour. I won't be doing it again for a while.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #8385
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
I carried a pump until I tried CO2. I can carry four or five cartridges and the inflator for the size and weight of a pump and it is just so much faster and easier, for me anyway.
My attempts to use CO2 after a flat was disappointing to say the least. I think it was just a cheap device, but had to break out to pump to get the pressure right.