ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #9916
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
No more twinkies for you!

Good job labor union ... you killed 18,500 jobs

(and just when pot got legalized so profits were going to soar! )

Hostess to Close

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...560842670.html
Sounds like a Union to me. They helped make the jobsite safer for millions of workers back in the day, but today its goin to far. My brother-in-law is helping rebuild the powergrid after SS Sandy in New Jersey. The local union workers were going into the camps and beating the shit out of non-union people in their sleep, even though millions of people still have no power. They are stealing their work and not holding out for a higher wage or paying union dues.

I like to get payed and promoted for how good or hard I work. Not how long I've been around(standing in the air-conditioned break room).
Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #9917
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,928
WANT!

Kendon 3 Rail Fold up Trailer

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #9918
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 466
Honda beats KTM and Kawasaki in the 45th annual Baja 1000.

Go Honda Go!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #9919
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,815
Where do you mount the spare?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #9920
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
Those fancy trailers never have flats.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #9921
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,819
Gee I wonder if this is a scam? Got this e-mail this morning for the Super Enduro Sale.

Thank you for the email, I wish to let you know that I'm satisfied with the price and I will appreciate more pictures. i work offshore, I am sorry I am not available to view due to the nature of my job, We are not allowed to make or receive calls frequently for security reasons but we have internet access and that is our major means of communication to the outside world. Therefore I want you to consider it sold by withdrawing the advert from Craigslist. Note that you will not be responsible for shipping and handling. My shipping company will come to your location for the pick up and as for the pick up i will need your address so i can forward it to the shipping company to calculate the cost of the pick up for me..I will send the money as a gift so you'll not be charged by PayPal, I will need you to provide the following information to facilitate the Payment

1.What is the condition?
2.Are you the Owner?
3.Your address for pick up?
4.Your Registered PayPal Name and Registered PayPal Email Address For Me To Proceed With The Payment?

Thank you for your time and Look forward to hearing back from you!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #9922
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,238
Yellow pig, total scam. I have been trying to sell my parents motor home and the same spam is overwhelming. Tell them to send you cash.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #9923
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,238
Yellow pig, total scam. I have been trying to sell my parents motor home and the same spam is overwhelming. Tell them to send you cash.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #9924
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieGS View Post
Go back in Google time and read the January 2012 article about their second BK filing in under 10 years, which also mentions a crippling corporate debt load, declining sales, and (pardon the pun) a high pricing model that could not accommodate an increase to cover rising costs. And fyi, Twinkies didn't drive their profits - if you didn't know, Hostess makes Wonder Bread - a has-been staple of middle America's pantry.

Labor only holds a portion of the responsibility. I'd say a failing business model of continuing to make crap that people finally realized they shouldn't be eating and eventually quit buying is more significant, but the whole story never makes the headlines, does it...
+1 Couldn't happen to a nicer company. Nothing Hostess ever made could really be considered food. When I'm the food dictator, there would be no prepared foods on the shelf...tuna helper, canned soups, frozen pies, etc. That would cure an incredibly overwhelming number of health problems.
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
PrairieRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #9925
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,834
Quote:
Go back in Google time and read the January 2012 article about their second BK filing in under 10 years, which also mentions a crippling corporate debt load, declining sales, and (pardon the pun) a high pricing model that could not accommodate an increase to cover rising costs. And fyi, Twinkies didn't drive their profits - if you didn't know, Hostess makes Wonder Bread - a has-been staple of middle America's pantry.

Labor only holds a portion of the responsibility. I'd say a failing business model of continuing to make crap that people finally realized they shouldn't be eating and eventually quit buying is more significant, but the whole story never makes the headlines, does it...
The "whole story" is that unions and their suicidal tendencies pick the absolute worst times to go on strike. "Oh, our employer has filed BK twice in 10 years, has a crippling debt load and declining sales and the nation is in the worst recession in 70 years?? Let's go on strike right now and ask for more concessions!!"

“Companies in bankruptcy don’t have any margin for error,” Chief Executive Officer Gregory F. Rayburn said today in an interview with Betty Liu on “In the Loop” on Bloomberg Television.

"While Hostess has fielded interest in pieces of the business, its labor contracts and pension obligations have deterred any bids for the whole company, he said. " But the whole story never makes it onto ADV does it?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...n-after-strike

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #9926
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
If there isn't a place to mount one I'd just pack it in my truck with my gear. No big deal really.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #9927
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieRider View Post
When I'm the food dictator
That right there is the problem, people that think they should be the dictator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieRider View Post
there would be no prepared foods on the shelf...tuna helper, canned soups, frozen pies, etc. That would cure an incredibly overwhelming number of health problems.
I really don't think tuna helper and canned soups are the problem. Eating too much of those or nothing but those could be. But herein lies the problem with Dictators, aka the government, deciding what is best for us. So eliminate ALL fast food restaurants too? Insanity.

Your statement about Hostess and it couldn't happen to a nicer company is totally insensitive to the 18,000 people that work there and their families and livelihoods.

Maybe the government should have bailed Hostess out with stimulus money so that the economy is not affected by all of the vendors, suppliers, employees, and others that will lose out from the company closing.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #9928
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
http://www.goiam.org/index.php/imail...ures-on-strike

Yep, labor is a particularly convenient scapegoat.
Interesting how "labor" is unable to run a business - If they could, they would. They will have every opportunity to buy "Hostess" if they choose.
wzd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #9929
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,834
Quote:
http://www.goiam.org/index.php/imail...ures-on-strike

Yep, labor is a particularly convenient scapegoat.
Oh I'm not arguing that it wasn't a poorly run (and possibly top heavy) company. I'm not defending their managment at all. What I am saying is that union leaders trulyhave suicidal tendencies and ask their members to strike at the worst possible times sometimes.

If I had a choice of losing my job completely in this economy or taking a cut to my pension contribution, I think I'd take the cut and keep my job. No matter how much the CEO was making. Do they really think they'll teach those greedy executives a lessson by losing their own jobs?

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #9930
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Apparently the Hostess Execs aren't very good at it, either. Taking on more debt to finance the manufacture and sale of a good in the end stages of its product life span, self-awarding bonuses and repeated BK/reorganization and whinging that nobody will buy their business when consumers have been shying away from their entire product line for the last 12 years tells me they didn't pay attention on supply-and demand-day in their first B-school Macro class.
General Motors - Chrysler

What the government will really want you to drive. It will lower health care costs because no accidents would be any more serious than a bruise or two.