ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #12181
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
We've been in our house about 12 yrs now... watched it being built from a bare lot. Had the backyard landscaped and in the mix of trees we had a few aspen put in, knowing full well that at 6,100 ft they wouldn't live much more than 10-12 yrs.

Time to pull them out of the ground and plant something different.
Jeanne made a few phone calls to get some estimates - thought I might check here and see if anyone has a recommendation on someone whose work they like.
I'd be willing to give you an estimate. Pm if you're interested still.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #12182
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
So I'm at the grocery store with Zac.(my 9 year old son)

Zac: can you buy a habanero?
Jim: why?
Zac: so I can see if I can eat one.
Jim:(being a good parent) yeah I guess.

We get home and Zac tells me to film him eating it.

Jim: Zac I really don't think this is a good idea.
Zac: What are you a wimp dad.
Jim: ok Zac, but I think you should eat it like a peperocini. Just chomp the whole thing, chew it up and swallow it.
The whole family is in the room watching this.
Zac puts the habenaro in his mouth bites off half chews it up and swallows it.
We are all watching him.
Zac: its not hot.
That lasts about a minute
Zac:(yelling) get me ice cream fast! Get me ice cream fast!
Jim: is it hot?
Then I got him some ice cream.
Zac's doesn't feel great now.
Having, in years past, exercised similarly poor judgment to poor Zac, I can tell you with utmost confidence that milk is the answer, and plenty of it.

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #12183
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
. . . The front of the trailer has a clear plastic nose cone which is broken and needs repair or replacing. Tanjor is out of business. Any thoughts?

The cone attaches by way of simple screw type fasteners. It can be easily removed for repair.
These folks are still in business, and I'll bet they can hook you up. Their fairings are flexible enough that I'm sure you could make one fit, even if the dimensions were just close. I have one if you want to buzz down to Elizabeth and check it out. Mine is nowhere near the shape you would need, but you can get a sense for the materials. Some on this page look like the shape you need:

http://www.zzipper.com/Products/prod_x.php

And in the realm of repair, it looks like you could dismount that fairing, patch it with bondo where pieces are missing, and then stretch a couple layers of simple fiberglass over it, them sand and paint. There's no reason it needs to be clear, right?

Cowboy screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 10:59 PM
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #12184
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,344
Another option is to take the bubble front to a shop that does upholstery, like a moto seat replacement or boat cushions and have them make a canvas cover or something similar?
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #12185
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,579
It's like watering plants, right?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #12186
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradical View Post
So? Does he think he can eat one?
Next time, have him try a bhut jolokia pepper.......

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #12187
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
There is an hour show Alan does on the entire subject. It is as expected, really excellent, but here is an article on pepper effects: http://www.pbs.org/saf/1105/segments/1105-4.htm

Here is some vid from the shoo: http://youtu.be/Hd_mxyMAJJY

AMA / NCTR.net
“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” – Anon
LoneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #12188
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Old 06-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #12189
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
So I'm at the grocery store with Zac.(my 9 year old son)

Zac: can you buy a habanero?
Jim: why?
Zac: so I can see if I can eat one.
Jim:(being a good parent) yeah I guess.

We get home and Zac tells me to film him eating it.

Jim: Zac I really don't think this is a good idea.
Zac: What are you a wimp dad.
Jim: ok Zac, but I think you should eat it like a peperocini. Just chomp the whole thing, chew it up and swallow it.
The whole family is in the room watching this.
Zac puts the habenaro in his mouth bites off half chews it up and swallows it.
We are all watching him.
Zac: its not hot.
That lasts about a minute
Zac:(yelling) get me ice cream fast! Get me ice cream fast!
Jim: is it hot?
Then I got him some ice cream.
Zac's doesn't feel great now.
Did you hear the one about a kid that drank a whole bottle of soy sauce on a dare? Lucky to be alive. Not saying a 9 yro eating a habenaro will harm him, but you never know how an individual's body will react to such an immediate and strong stimulus as a habenaro. Glad he is OK.

Teen survives coma after drinking entire bottle of soy sauce

Bottles of iron fortified soy sauce on display in Beijing, China on July 13, 2007. (AP / Elizabeth Dalziel)

Angela Mulholland, CTVNews.ca
Published Sunday, June 9, 2013 7:41AM EDT

A teen who accepted a dare to drink from a bottle of soy sauce swallowed an entire litre of the stuff before slipping into a coma.
The incident, which took place in 2011, is described in detail in the latest issue of The Journal of Emergency Medicine.
Doctors who treated the teen say he arrived at hospital two hours after being dared by friends to drink a bottle of soy sauce. When he arrived at the emergency room, he was having seizures, foaming at the mouth and had slipped into a coma.

Published Sunday, June 9, 2013 7:41AM EDT

A teen who accepted a dare to drink from a bottle of soy sauce swallowed an entire litre of the stuff before slipping into a coma.
The incident, which took place in 2011, is described in detail in the latest issue of The Journal of Emergency Medicine.
Doctors who treated the teen say he arrived at hospital two hours after being dared by friends to drink a bottle of soy sauce. When he arrived at the emergency room, he was having seizures, foaming at the mouth and had slipped into a coma.
Related Stories

Related Links

The doctors report the soy sauce had caused a sudden sodium surge in the teen's blood, leading to an electrolyte imbalance called hypernatremia.
The condition causes the body to try to move water out of tissues into the blood in an effort to dilute the salt. In severe cases, like the one experienced by the teen, the brain leaches water, which can bring on seizures, coma and eventually death.
The quart of soy sauce the teen drank would have likely contained about 56,000 milligrams of sodium. To put that into perspective, Health Canada says the average Canadian takes in about 3,400 mg of sodium a day, although they recommend no more than 1,500 mg a day.
Doctors say they were able to save the teen by giving him a solution of water and dextrose through a nasal tube, filling him with six litres of the fluid over 30 minutes.
After about five hours, the teen's sodium levels had returned to normal, they report. He stayed in a coma for three days and when he awoke, tests showed he had suffered no brain damage.
The doctors say that at their peak, the sodium level in the teen's blood was 196 mmol/L To their knowledge, they write, that "is the highest documented level in an adult patient to survive an acute sodium ingestion without neurologic deficits."
The teen involved was not identified. But according to several media reports, a student at the University of Virginia was rushed to hospital in 2011 after drinking a bottle of soy sauce as part of a college fraternity hazing. It's not clear if the medical journal report describes the same teen.
The hazing incident led to a police and college investigation and prompted the closure of the fraternity for several months. The frat has since re-opened.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/teen-su...#ixzz2XiMlx727

Go Easy On The Soy Sauce, Bro, It Could Kill You

by Scott Hensley

Keep the soy sauce on your food, and use it in moderation.

Aaron Tam/AFP/Getty Images
First, let's spoil this tale right away by telling you the 19-year-old man in Virginia who downed a quart of soy sauce on a dare survived.
It's a happy ending of sorts. But the guy had a close call. And you definitely don't want to try it.
While there's been quite a debate lately about whether the , there's no question that a massive amount of salt ingested quickly can lead to death.
In fact, suicide by soy sauce is not unknown in Asia. A 2011 in the Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine describes the case of a 55-year-old woman diagnosed with depression. She died after drinking "a large quantity of shoyu (Japanese soy sauce)," doctors wrote.
Back in the early '90s, Mayo Clinic doctors on a 41-year-old man who died after swallowing a salty gargling solution. That case and a look at the medical literature up to that point led them to caution other doctors about using salty water to induce vomiting.
A salt dose ranging from 0.75 grams to 3 grams per kilogram of body weight can kill someone. A tablespoon of salt weighs about 15 grams, in case you're wondering.
If you're metrically challenged, just consider that the unnamed fellow in the published online by the Journal of Emergency Medicine, weighed about 160 pounds and probably consumed around 170 grams of salt by drinking a bottle of soy sauce. That works out to a little more than 2 grams of salt per kilogram in his case.
After downing the soy sauce, he ran into trouble pretty fast. Within two hours he was in the emergency room at a local hospital. He was grinding his teeth and didn't respond to pain or verbal commands. His arms were stiff and at his side.
Doctors were worried about seizures and put him on drugs to control them. They also ran a tube from his nose into his stomach and sucked out some "brown material with scant streaks of blood," the report says.
The patient was transferred to a bigger hospital, the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville, within four hours of the soy sauce guzzling.
His blood sodium level measured at the medical center was the highest ever seen in an adult who survived such intoxiciation without lasting neurological problems, the medical paper says.
But the doctors didn't know if that would be the case. They opted for rapid treatment with water containing dextrose, a sugar, to dilute the sodium and encourage urination. The guy got six liters of IV fluid in half an hour. The sodium concentration in his blood fell, and he produced more than four liters of urine in short order.
The doctors took an aggressive approach even though there was a risk the man might experience brain swelling and other neurological side effects. They didn't see any.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #12190
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Boss was showing me today a scar on his arm. He got it riding the summer luge in Steamboat. He said there is enough pollen on the course that they warn you if you crash and grind that pollen into your skin and you're allergic to pollen, it can put you into anaphylactic shock.... http://youtu.be/n5Zs2eQg49o

AMA / NCTR.net
“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” – Anon
LoneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #12191
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
The Howler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJones View Post
Boss was showing me today a scar on his arm. He got it riding the summer luge in Steamboat. He said there is enough pollen on the course that they warn you if you crash and grind that pollen into your skin and you're allergic to pollen, it can put you into anaphylactic shock.... http://youtu.be/n5Zs2eQg49o

This is funny! We were looking at it just this afternoon and remarking about how many people have come away from that ride needing band-aids or skin grafts! Never even considered going into shock from an allergic reaction.

The Howler ......... it's crippled more people than polio!

"Sign this release form please."

An old guy that used to live here always wanted to have someone build one of his contraptions. It was supposed to be a cradle that one would strap into and then ride down a pair of rails that were placed down a steep slope. It would mimic the speed, weightlessness, g forces, flight sensations, etc. of ski jumping. Sorta' cool idea, huh?

"Sign this release form please".
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #12192
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,344
Take a virtual ride down a mountainside on the world's scariest 'rollercoaster'

For some people the mere thought of skiing down a mountain is off-putting enough.
But this Austrian alpine-coaster offers what is perhaps the most frighteningly fast - and seemingly dangerous - downhill descent there is.
The single-pipe ride, which is located in Mieders, usually provides tourists with a slow, open trek down the mountainside.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ercoaster.html
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #12193
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,408
[QUOTE=AteamNM;21772620]Take a virtual ride down a mountainside on the world's scariest 'rollercoaster'

Well then you ought to try this.
0-120 in 6 secs
420 ft high
240 degree twist
Total ride about 18 seconds

Old 07-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #12194
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 515
[QUOTE=atokad;21773909]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Take a virtual ride down a mountainside on the world's scariest 'rollercoaster'

Well then you ought to try this.
0-120 in 6 secs
420 ft high
240 degree twist
Total ride about 18 seconds

I have, and got a concussion from the experience. Wicked fast.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #12195
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Burn bans? What stinkin burn bans...