ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #12751
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
I thought the kidney stone was painful til I opened the bill from the ER. $800 an hour is their rate I guess. Holy shit. Who wants a great deal on a trials bike?

When I broke my collar bone in the middle of the maze district I rode past the NP entrance and my employees (my "federal family") to my vehicle campsite on Hans Flats, drank coffee, loaded my bike and drove to Castle Rock, waited until Monday morning and went to an urgent care facility, got a reference to see a orthopedic surgeon the following Wednesday, and scheduled surgery.

All in all it was a better way to go than an emergency room. I knew there was no point to going to an emergency room - I could never have afforded it.

I am sorry for your loss.
wzd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #12752
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
I thought the kidney stone was painful til I opened the bill from the ER. $800 an hour is their rate I guess. Holy shit. Who wants a great deal on a trials bike?
Damn, and of course I'm broke at the moment. I'll trade you hospital bills if it will make you feel any better

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #12753
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 449
In case a 4 wheel ultimate dual sport is more your thing

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...204815032.html

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #12754
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,977

Drink locally!
Old 10-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #12755
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,966
Missing the first snowfall in Boulder? So sad...

Scootering around a tropical island in my flipflops? Priceless.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #12756
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
Missing the first snowfall in Boulder? So sad...

Scootering around a tropical island in my flipflops? Priceless.

You badass squid you.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #12757
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

I have been contacted by "godaddy" to buy an internet domain I own (and use). They called today and I told them it was not for sale - mainly because I would never do business with a company named "godaddy".

But I am curious if 1.) anyone here has experience with pricing domain names and 2.) why would someone use an intermediary to buy a domain name - when they could just contact me directly (which is what I would do).

Old 10-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #12758
Krang
Rides with hippies

Oddometer: 397
Is your whois data even visible or is it obfuscated? If the latter, they may not be able to contact you directly.

I'm not sure how they play that game, but chances are if you don't have anything parked there godaddy shows a display page with something about selling that domain and if they offer & you agree godaddy gets %xx percent.

Is it something that a company is going to drag you into court over?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #12759
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
Is your whois data even visible or is it obfuscated? If the latter, they may not be able to contact you directly.

I'm not sure how they play that game, but chances are if you don't have anything parked there godaddy shows a display page with something about selling that domain and if they offer & you agree godaddy gets %xx percent.

Is it something that a company is going to drag you into court over?
My whois data is publicly available and correct.

I have never done business with godaddy (I use Yahoo Small business) and the website is undeveloped - but my business email uses the domain - I don't currently advertise, as I have historically generated enough business for my needs w/o advertising.

Re: Court - hard to say, anyone can sue for anything - but I have a legitimate and longstanding claim.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #12760
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzd1a View Post
My whois data is publicly available and correct.

I have never done business with godaddy (I use Yahoo Small business) and the website is undeveloped - but my business email uses the domain - I don't currently advertise, as I have historically generated enough business for my needs w/o advertising.

Re: Court - hard to say, anyone can sue for anything - but I have a legitimate and longstanding claim.
Godaddy is currently the largest domain registrar on the planet.

Buying a domain name can be intimidating for some if you don't know the process. It can be complicated, international, and there are scammers. I'd guess the interested party was likely using Godaddy's domain brokerage service: http://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-broker.aspx

I wouldn't be too concerned about a forced takeover through lawsuit as most the pros would have contacted you direct (or through their own company) via whois and then offered a lower cost escrow service like Sedo for the transaction. That said, the best defense to keeping someone from trying to legally land grab your domain is to have it in use (or own a registered trademark of the same name). I would at least put up very simple landing page though - maybe with just your company name and general contact info.

Pricing domains is highly subjective. Traffic, domain length, generic vs unique, etc. It's worth whatever you can get the other guy to pay.

PS - check your own landing page as well. It's possible that depending on how you have it parked with Yahoo, they could be showing ads on it, and one of those ads could have been from Godaddy, which may have lead an uneducated buyer to reach out to them.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR

thump_co screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 01:16 PM
thump_co is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #12761
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,817
A real annoying one Network Solutions pulled on me recently was to give me a "free domain".
Basically, they picked one of my domains and gave me the .biz version of it.
Of course it was automatically set to auto-renew a year from now on my credit card.

I called them up, told them that even though I've been using their system since 1994 and have had hundreds and hundreds of domains with them, that I'd be telling them to shove the entire thing up their ass and moving my business elsewhere if they ever tried such bullshit again. I asked them to put me on their "no bullshit marketing ideas" list and asked them to strongly consider firing the asshat who came up with the idea.

"Don't become fucking godaddy" was my last sentence before I hungup
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #12762
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
A real annoying one Network Solutions pulled on me recently was to give me a "free domain".
Basically, they picked one of my domains and gave me the .biz version of it.
Of course it was automatically set to auto-renew a year from now on my credit card.

I called them up, told them that even though I've been using their system since 1994 and have had hundreds and hundreds of domains with them, that I'd be telling them to shove the entire thing up their ass and moving my business elsewhere if they ever tried such bullshit again. I asked them to put me on their "no bullshit marketing ideas" list and asked them to strongly consider firing the asshat who came up with the idea.

"Don't become fucking godaddy" was my last sentence before I hungup
Dooood. NetSol are some of the dirtiest bastards in the biz. Just one small example from the past: http://www.billhartzer.com/pages/net...bility-lookup/

I wouldn't trust those guys with my phone number, let alone a credit card.

Moniker is one of the few that actually has a history of standing up for their retail customers in court against big corps and gov. Every domain I have is with them or Dynadot.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR

thump_co screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 11:35 PM
thump_co is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #12763
Krang
Rides with hippies

I've always used Gandi,not sure of their trackrecord with court cases.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #12764
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,471
I've used Godaddy for years as my domain provider... Perhaps not the best, but I'm too lazy to transfer all the domains I have with them.

They've never screwed up anything of mine and have had decent customer service a few times I needed something. Domain pricing on the cheaper end of things, probably cheapest (with discount codes) for first year, decent but not best for following years.

They do have plenty of "up-sell" in their checkout process (multiple screens of "do you want this additional service?" before you actually finish paying for a domain name), but I've never had overly aggressive or underhanded up-sell or bs charges except in their checkout.

I guess it also depends on what you need to do with your domains... Are you using 'free' site builders? Email or domain forwarding? Web hosting? Do you want anonymous whois? Some of the providers charge extra for services...

pfb screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 03:14 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #12765
Krang
Rides with hippies

So, we've got some geeks here.

Looking for Unix admins ~Westminster Area.

Entry leve(Degree & Minimal Experience(IE Comp. lab) l & Ass-kicker leveL(near internals expert, SWE).