ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #16
Round-I-Go OP
I won the Pullet Surprise

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo308
Round-I-Go:
I think you've hit on a very good idea and XC Rider has got it off to a great start.

I have taken numerous local "1000+ mile" rides on my '95 FXDL but only recently got into the digital age so no photos. I will fill some space in here after the ride we're planning from SoCal to Utah starting on 11/1/09. Keep watching this space!

Thanks for the great idea!

YVW, Waldo ... looking forward to your report!

"Road?...Where we're going, we don't neeeed roads." - Doc Brown

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." - Sir Richard Branson

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

Round-I-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:10 AM   #17
Jedi5150
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider
Lincoln City, OR.

Stunning shot! I don't suppose you have a larger version of it you could put up?
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:14 AM   #18
ManaHD
;-/

Oddometer: 2
Around Okinawa on a borrowed Sportster

I gotta dig up the pics eventually.... but in 2007 we sailed a traditional double hulled Hawaiian sailing canoe(Hokule'a) to Japan, while in Okinawa, I met a cool guy from a couple of town over from my home town, and borrowed his wifes sportster 100anny model to tour the island.... Man it was a blast, on the wrong side of the road, riding through stealthy speed traps... and getting some interesting looks from everyone.... can't wait to do it again!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #19
Round-I-Go OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManaHD
I gotta dig up the pics eventually.... but in 2007 we sailed a traditional double hulled Hawaiian sailing canoe(Hokule'a) to Japan, while in Okinawa, I met a cool guy from a couple of town over from my home town, and borrowed his wifes sportster 100anny model to tour the island.... Man it was a blast, on the wrong side of the road, riding through stealthy speed traps... and getting some interesting looks from everyone.... can't wait to do it again!
Wow! Sounds like an awesome trip, sea and land! We'd like to see your pics...

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." - Sir Richard Branson

Old 10-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #20
Winterbiker
Sidecarist

Oddometer: 263
With my Sporty-rig Ive been to Morocco and Western Sahara. More pics at www.project-yesterdays.de (with building the hack, movie review and a lot of more information) and movie-Trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esa02J1sIuA (starts at sec. 25).

Winterbiker

Blog: http://sidecar-team.over-blog.de/
Orient-Project: http://transitusarabiae.wordpress.com/
Winterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #21
RockerC
Fuck Piece & Quiet

Oddometer: 194
Sounds like a cool thread !

........... a mate and I recently took a quick lap around the block travelling up through outback North Western NSW (Australia) to the OPAL mining community of Lightning Ridge, and then on up through South West Queensland before swinging east and heading back for the coast.

Started at my mate Micks place

His is the 07 Fatboy, and mine the 09 Rocker Custom

3 cups of coffee later, we're finally on our way travelling up through the small country town of Gloucester before hitting "Thunderbolts Way", a piece of road you'd swear was designed and purposed built for motor cycles.

Half way a long there's a rest stop and lookout - magic !

Next stop is the small country village of Walcha for fuel. The Big Fella's a bit dissapointed the New England Hotel is not opened - it is only 9.15am Mick

Leaving Walcha, we head up through Bendimeer before crossing the Moonbi Ranges heading into Tamworth, Australia's Country Music Capital.

Continuing on, we make it into Gunnedah for lunch - yes we have the "Greasy Colonel" here too

Travelled on through miles and miles of farming land before reaching Moree, a very high Aboriginal population to go along with the very high price of fuel.

Made it into Lighting Ridge around 7.00pm that night, and a sigh of relief it was after having a couple of close encounters with wildlife on the way in, in particular one very large Kangaroo.

Next day it was up for breakfast before setting out to do the tourist thing,

Knocked the official tour over before jumping back on the bikes to pickup the rest. The Bore Baths is a natural spring that pumps water into this pond at 50 dec C. You could put a couple of tea spoons of coffee into and drink it it was that hot and people were swimming in it. Apparently its good for athritas and the likes.

Leaving the Ridge behind, we head north in search of the Queensland border.

Stumbled across it about an hour later, nowhere near the blue water shot the sign depicts - we're still a good day and a half from the coast.

Alright we'll stop at this one, truth be known for a mechanical check. Rolling into this little town, we've come to a "T" intersetion after having travelled some 200kms in top gear and I've gone to shift down, and I've got nothing - stuck in 6th gear. Turns out I've picked up a rock and it's wedged down behind the gear linkage preventing it moving and selecting gears. Plucked it out and we're away again.

More than likely the rock has come from this bugger when we over took him a hundred kms ago - had to come from one of those 46 wheels. Good excuse for a beer though !

Vast distances between civilisation out this way, still good roads and plenty of time for fun and frovolity.

Ahhhhhhh,another outback pub ! ! !

The end of this days ride would see us spend the night in Dalby - civilised but still 250kms from the coast

Travelled on through to Kingaroy along some magic roads - Big Fella drops in to get a shirt from another Harley Dealer.

Moved on then through to Beerwah, the home of the late Steve Irwins "Australia Zoo"

Finally after days and days of dry desolate outback land and roads we hit the coast.

Travelled on down to Lennox Head where we spent the night with friends of Micks - you guessed it, another night on the drink. Great people though.

Over looking the bay the following morning - through blood shot eyes.

That then only left us the couple of hundred kms left to run home back to our start point.

All up - just over 2400km's for the round trip.

Great idea for a thread "Round - I - Go" Hope I haven't over done it but at the same time I hope you enjoy a little piece of my road. Look forward to reading others tales as this thread grows.

I know, its not a KTM or a Beamer. . . . . . but aye, its got two wheels & Im gon
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443648

Out there somewhere!

RockerC screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 06:06 AM
RockerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #22
V-Twin-Maniac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
i visited a lot of places around my hometown schwetzingen, germany.

i ride a 2008 dyna streetbob and i love this bike and the travels ive done and the travels i planned for the comin years!!

i was in switzerland (alps), austria (alps), italy, france, belgium.......

found some pics:

i have a lot more pics but i didnt found them yet!! i will post some of them a little later!

last jear i had 20000kms on the road with the bob!
this jear i had an accident so that i have till now only 8000kms on da road!!!
V-Twin-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #23
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150
Stunning shot! I don't suppose you have a larger version of it you could put up?
Ask and ye shall receive.

And here is the link if needed.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #24
rockjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
XC Rider, what part of VA are you in.
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #25
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Friend in Batesville, IN just rode to Prudoe and back on his 'glide. He said no problems.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #26
Round-I-Go OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbiker
With my Sporty-rig Ive been to Morocco and Western Sahara. More pics at www.project-yesterdays.de (with building the hack, movie review and a lot of more information) and movie-Trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esa02J1sIuA (starts at sec. 25).

Winterbiker
Winterbiker, can you post a few pics here along with a condensed report? ...

Old 10-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #27
Round-I-Go OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerC
........... a mate and I recently took a quick lap around the block travelling up through outback North Western NSW (Australia) to the OPAL mining community of Lightning Ridge, and then on up through South West Queensland before swinging east and heading back for the coast.

All up - just over 2400km's for the round trip.

Great idea for a thread "Round-I-Go" Hope I haven't over done it but at the same time I hope you enjoy a little piece of my road. Look forward to reading others tales as this thread grows.
RockerC ... 2400k ... is that what you Aussies call "a quick lap around the block"? .. HA!

GREAT report, that's what it's all about!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #28
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Round-I-Go
Oh yes, we all have, but you're missing the point. Doug has one big ride report, which is awesome ... I've read the whole thing. What I'm looking for is a collection of short reports and a few photos from each all in one thread. It's a simple concept, no?
Since 1) this website is called ADVRider and 2) is geared a little more towards dual-sport and off-road bikes and 3) Harleys by and large are neither dual-sport nor offroad bikes, it's safe to assume that the ride reports on this site on a Harley are very small percentage of all epic rides on Harleys reported on the internet.

If you're looking for Harley-specific ride reports, maybe you should search other websites where those ride reports would be more likely to be found.

Or are you just stirring the pot to inflame some members?
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #29
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Round-I-Go
Stu, thank you so much! Your words have caused me to dig deep and to re-think my position on this matter of vital importance. You are absolutely right, an "adventure" on any machine but a "dual-sport" motorcycle or "off-road" bike cannot really be an adventure at all!

Which brings rise to the question, "Why is so much of ADVriders' site content, in the form of ride reports on such pathetically non-adventurous machines like Panhead choppers, GoldWings, Tiger 1050's, ST's, even the hallowed "R" and "K" road-only bikes, not to mention the prodigious and ever expanding "Road Warriors" section and others, dedicated to on-road machines?" Exactly what are these people thinking?

ADVriders of the World! Let us take Stu's Sayings of Wisdom to heart! We must act now to re-adjust our minds to the Stu-definition of true adventure! Let us all drink Stu's flavor of Kool-Aid and not delay! Only then will we attain to the true oneness of Stu's mind so as to experience Adventure in it's purest form! Raise your arms and shout, "Stu-True to the end!"

NOT!

I'm not sure what sort of dope you're smoking but it damn seems to be making you happy. You miss my point entirely. This site was not intended to attract mostly Harley riders. Therefore you're looking in the wrong place if your goal is to find lots of Harley-ridden ride reports.

Disco Stu screwed with this post 10-06-2009 at 01:29 PM
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #30
Waldo308
Grouchy Olde Pharte

Oddometer: 294
Dualsport Harley...

Quote:
Quote from Disco Stu:
I'm not sure what sort of dope you're smoking but it damn seems to be making you happy. You miss my point entirely. This site was not intended to attract mostly Harley riders. Therefore you're looking in the wrong place if your goal is to find lots of Harley-ridden ride reports.
Uuuuhhh. I once rode my 95 FXDL about five miles on a very sandy dirt road in Anza Borrego. Does that count? Of course, when the sand got really soft and deep, I had to make a 20 point turn on the side of the hill and ride back out the way I came.

Stu:
The point is not to turn this into a Harley site nor is it to inflame anyone. It is simply to provide a niche for those of us who frequent this site and ride Harleys, or as in my case, a Harley, a Suzuki dualsport and a Honda dualsport.

I don't understand the antagonism nor the constant disparagement of those of us who enjoy the staccato sound of the Harley V-twin or the relaxed pace of a long ride on a so-called "cruiser" or touring bike.

It is not our intent to be offensive or to "horn in" on what someone else considers "their territory".

I have ridden a large variety of motorized two wheeled conveyances since I started riding in 1967. I have NEVER ridden a motorcycle of any brand or type that I didn't have an ear-to-ear grin at some point during the ride.

As far as I'm concerned, it's ALL GOOD.

Relax and enjoy the adventure, no matter what flavor you like!