ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #76
Fast Ferris
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Round-I-Go
.Let's make this one Harley-specific, shall we? Sportster, Dyna, Softail,
Touring, new, old, whatever ... JUST WHERE IN THE WORLD HAVE YOU
BEEN? .
Paul, here's a set of pix from a ride I did about a month after I got my Road King, from my home in Wofford Heights, California, to Las Vegas, Nevada and back, a distance of 814.7 miles, which I covered in 25 hours (I left at 4:30 one morning, and returned home at 5:30 the next morning - 24.5 hours of riding and photography, and one 30-minute power nap early the second morning).

Not sure why I did the ride this way; I got caught up in what I was doing, and just kept going (remembering the classic line from the movie Ferris Gump: "Ride, Ferris, ride!!!")

Anyway, hope this isn't too many pix - I tried to edit the collection down to the bare minimum to tell the tale.

Sunrise from the Owens Peak Wilderness Area. I'm about an hour out at this point. Death Valley is out there somewhere...

The infamous Trona Monsters, just off Highway 178 between Ridgecrest and Trona, California:

Close-up of the mural on the back of the Old Guest House in Trona, depicting a 20 Mule Team (remember the old "20 Mule Team Borax" soap commercials on TV? You do if you're as old as I am...). Trona (the Searles Dry Lake bed, specifically) is where a lot of this stuff comes from:

Turtle crossing. I think they're referring to my Road King...:

I'm in Nevada now, and happened to motor by Creech AFB in Indian Springs just as five of the six USAF Thunderbirds were spooling up and taking off (big, big noise). Sorry for the lousy photo - hand-held at a lot of digital zoom - but they sure put on a great show!

This is what I rode to Nevada to see: Mountains and snow. I'd ridden thru Nevada plenty of times, but had no idea up until today that there were for-real mountains and snow there. The bike and I are parked at 8668 feet of elevation. This was pretty cool stuff (literally and figuratively):

I was stopped on the side of Nevada Highway 158 for this photo. That's also 158 you see snaking along the skirt of the mountains way down below. This road is some seriously sublime riding:

This is looking back at Mt. Charleston, the mountain itself, and the community of the same name. This is, as the realtors would say, an area of nice homes. An entry level house here, in "old" Mt. Charleston, say 1000 square feet, just enough land to put the house on, and neighbors packed in tight on all sides, starts in the neighborhood of a half million dollars. The stuff we're looking at here? In my wildest dreams I can't even imagine a number that high:

I've burned up way too much day at this point - the sun's about to set, and I'm only just now making the big u-turn for home - but I had to stop in Vegas long enough to grab a docu-shot proving I was there. A bicycle cop took brief exception to me parking on the sidewalk so I could get this pic of the Luxor, but he was cool, and I was gone in a flash:

I'm in Baker, California now, I'm tired and my mind's going to fuzz-z-z-z-z... This was taken parked directly under Baker's infamous "World's Tallest Thermometer." I thought the colors were purty.

Ride, Ferris, ride...:

This is my second lap thru Death Valley Junction (formally Amargosa, town of) today. My first time thru was early this morning. This photo was taken just a few minutes before midnight. This was eerie and a little bit spooky.

And deathly quiet. Until I popped the bike off and aimed for Death Valley, that is:

This is the last photo I took on the ride. This is my second time thru Death Valley, once yesterday morning, and now again, about 2 a.m. the following morning. This stop was a bit bizarro. Here's what I wrote at the time:

"After I got this shot I shut everything down and munched out on jerky and trail mix and Gatorade. The only sound was the tinkling of the heat shields on the bike as they cooled, and after a few minutes it was just me and the desert.

"And a few gazillion stars. The Milky Way painted a thick, white stripe across the sky.

"I was dog tired, and coulda laid down right there in the gravel and passed out.

" I tried reaching Denise on the cell phone. Yeah, right, Cingular hasn't raised the bar out here just yet...":

Like I said at the top, I got home 25 hours hours after I headed out, with one 30-minute nap about an hour after I took the DV photo above - I just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.

Had I not stopped for so many photos on the day, I think I coulda bagged an Iron Butt outta this deal. Still, it was a memorable ride, and I hope y'all enjoyed the photos and the captions.

Take care,
FF

Fast Ferris screwed with this post 10-11-2009 at 08:10 PM
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #77
Flying Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I'm not exactly a world traveler, but here are a few random shots of some places my trusty old Shovel has taken me over the years.

The BRP, of course.

Killing bugs in Florida.

Looking at the Mississippi River from Louisiana.

Ontario.

Doing all I can to stay outta the way on the Dragon.

Some place in Alabama.

Trying to find the time away from work to get to the Pacific coast on it.
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #78
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 911
My first motorcycle trip ever was on my Sporty. 5000 or so miles solo out west. (states: NE, CO, NM, AZ, UT, ID, WY, MT and SD). Had no idea what I was doing - or even what ADV was. Almost zero gear (not even for rain), barely any plan, no tools whatsoever - only a butt of steel. Just thought it sounded like a crazy and fun thing to do. Little did I know where it all would lead...

I don't care what anyone says - it was a HELL of an adventure to me at the time. I don't think I had ridden 2000 miles on the street in my life up to that point. Next year I bought an RT and rode to the top of Alaska for a month. The year after that I traded the Sporty for a DR650 and rode all over Mexico and Guatemala for a month.

Maybe it's good I didn't know about this site back in year one. If I'd posted a report about my Harley trip I might have gotten a bunch of flak from the *hardcore* and never come back. Would have missed a lot!

Raoul Duke screwed with this post 10-12-2009 at 02:01 PM
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #79
Round-I-Go OP
I won the Pullet Surprise

Oddometer: 499
Okaaaay, I'm drooling!

Gorgeous Duo-Glide, RDS! I see 2 different setups with bags, seat and w/shield ... very cool. I dream of taking a modern Harley and doing the vintage treatment to it to look just ... like ... that.

Still got it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com
I rode my 1960 Duo-Glide that I restored and my brother rode his 1948 Indian Chief for a week long camping trip from Seattle Wa, to Montana.
It was about 1990 I think. The panhead was my most modern bike for 14 years, until I bought my Buell S3.

"Road?...Where we're going, we don't neeeed roads." - Doc Brown

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." - Sir Richard Branson

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

Round-I-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #80
Round-I-Go OP

FF, you take the best photos, man. Excellent. And great stories, too ... keep 'em comin' as you can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Ferris
Paul, here's a set of pix from a ride I did about a month after I got my Road King, from my home in Wofford Heights, California, to Las Vegas, Nevada and back, a distance of 814.7 miles, which I covered in 25 hours (I left at 4:30 one morning, and returned home at 5:30 the next morning - 24.5 hours of riding and photography, and one 30-minute power nap early the second morning).

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." - Sir Richard Branson

Old 10-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #81
Round-I-Go OP

Flying Monkey, VERY cool. How many years, how many (s)miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
I'm not exactly a world traveler, but here are a few random shots of some places my trusty old Shovel has taken me over the years.

Trying to find the time away from work to get to the Pacific coast on it.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #82
Round-I-Go OP

The Nightster is cool. I haven't ridden one, but I had a 1200C for a while. Great bike.

Great pics! All good, but I especially like this one:

Hmmm ... I wonder which way I shou... aww, what the hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke

Old 10-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #83
goinsideways136
Perma frost hands!

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
The Nightster is cool. I haven't ridden one, but I had a 1200C for a while. Great bike.

Great pics! All good, but I especially like this one:

Hmmm ... I wonder which way I shou... aww, what the hell
i wish i would have kept my speedometer for my trip...
Old 10-13-2009, 03:41 AM   #84
Pastor John
Gnarly Adventurer

Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina, USA

__________________________________________________ _____________

'08 Harley Road Glide (Gone but not forgotten)
'11 Harley Ultra Classic Dual-Sport (Ahhh...)
Pastor John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #85
Flying Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Flying Monkey, VERY cool. How many years, how many (s)miles?

Thanks for asking.

I've had the bike since 97. Just started taking the longer trips 5 years ago.

The bike turned over 112,000 miles last weekend on my way up to Barbers.

I've had much newer bikes, but still enjoy traveling on the Shovel the most.
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #86
Waldo308
Grouchy Olde Pharte

Oddometer: 294
Now we're cookin'!

These are just the kinda short reports I wuz hopin' to see on this thread!

Thank you Fast Ferris, Flying Monkey, Raoul Duke and Pastor John.

Very inspiring all.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #87
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
road Warriors
Old 10-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #88
Round-I-Go OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
road Warriors

Yes, they are Road Warriors ... with "Ride Reports and pics, pics, pics"

Old 10-14-2009, 02:14 AM   #89
Fast Ferris
Shift Shaper

Quote:
FF, you take the best photos, man. Excellent. And great stories, too ... keep 'em comin' as you can...
Thank you Paul, much appreciated. I've got some pix from my first cross-country ride on the RK that I'll try to post up in the next several days.

It's been fun to see the other mini-RR's posted on here, the adventures that others have had on their Harleys. I bought my first H-D in 1984, a gorgeous '76 FLH Shovel (that I surely wish I still had). My mom rode on her boyfriends' Harleys when she young, both her parents (my maternal grandparents) rode Harleys when they were young, and several other relatives rode 'em (my maternal uncle, in particular, wooden leg and all) as well.

I'm not a brand snob (I'll ride with, and wave to, anyone on two wheels, and wish I had at least one of everything in my garage), but there's something about a Harley-Davidson that seems extra-special to me. Part of it is the very real connect to the past, I suppose.

Kudos to all who have posted their adventures on this thread.

Take care,
FF
Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 AM   #90
Fast Ferris
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo308
These are just the kinda short reports I wuz hopin' to see on this thread!

Thank you Fast Ferris, Flying Monkey, Raoul Duke and Pastor John.

Very inspiring all.
Thanks Waldo. Cheers to us all.