User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
Skeld OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Super Enduro vs. Adventure

I'm kind of interested in one of these bikes...I have a 2009 530 EXC for serious dirt, and I'm basically looking for a street bike that I could ride down a logging road if I wanted to. But I'm not needing to go on several day trips or anything, just need to go, maybe 300 miles in a day occasionally and not be crippled. This would be at 70 mph, maybe more.

I like the looks of the SE and that it's more dirt "serious" looking, but I'm concerned that without a fairing of any kind it's just going to suck to ride it at high speeds and all that wind pushing on you will exacerbate your sore ass problem. Is that the case?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,571
Sounds kind llike you are answering your own question.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
zoomdude57
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Have had both. The Adventure a better option for longer rides, but the SE is fine for those 300-400 mile rides and is a bit better off road. Not much for gear hauling though..
2011 KTM RC8R
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
zoomdude57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 929
I was trying very hard to decide between a thumper or a 990 ADV. My theory was that the thumper would rule off pavement, where I prefer to be, and the 990 would be comfortable on pavement. I thought the SE would be too similar to the ADV and not good enough off pavement. Well I was wrong. The SE is great in dirt, with it's awesome suspension and dirtbike feel. (yes it's heavy, but it just feels like a dirtbike should) And the SE is fine on slab. I will be adding a litte wind protection up front, but other than that so far it's doing what I want. I can easily carry all I need for a weeks trip on it also, although I'm looking into beefing up the subframe. Check these lightweight bags out...

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

I don't claim to be an expert on the SE tough. This is only my 4th day with the bike. So take my statement with that knowledge. Also keep in mind I'm obsessed with dirt.

Oh, one more thing. You can pick up a brand new SE for very cheap at the moment. I was looking at used and went in to talk to my local KTM mechanic about his thoughts on the SE and he told me I'd love it, we share the same riding interests, and then told me the price on a left over '08. It was less than $1000 more than a used one I was looking at with 7000 miles on it. Needdless to say I walked out of there with a nice shiny, but not for too long, kick ass bike!

Cheers!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Skeld OP
Adventurer

So the lack of wind protection on the SE doesn't get annoying at 70 MPH? What kind of wind protection could you add to it? How does the seat on either bike compare to a straight up street bike...is it comfortable, or is it still too narrow and dirt bike-like?
Old 10-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
mudder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeld
So the lack of wind protection on the SE doesn't get annoying at 70 MPH?......
You can modify a SE and get more windprotection, but you can't get rid of the annoying windbuffering on the 990.
mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,261
Had a SE....have an Adv.

the Adv is much more comfortable on the street....Much more...and the SE is better off road when things get rougher than a fireroad...

if you aren't going crazy off road get the Adv...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Skeld OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
Had a SE....have an Adv.

the Adv is much more comfortable on the street....Much more...and the SE is better off road when things get rougher than a fireroad...

if you aren't going crazy off road get the Adv...
They are both the same bike basically other than the SE lacks big tanks, correct? I also notice that the SE only has one front rotor and I think the Adv has 2, so that would be worse on the street I think.

As I said I have the 530 for more serious off road so perhaps the Adv would be a better choice...but man the SE looks cool.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
RogerDe
Dust In The Wind

Oddometer: 262
Thumb

+1 on the SE...Ride On
Old 10-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 929
Do some searching on windscreens etc... I personaly do fine riding the SE on pavement, but then again I just did a 1747 mile trip over six days on a DRZ, so any twin is gonna be more comfy.

If you can, ride 'em both. If not pick the best deal or one you like the look of and ride the bitch.
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeld
They are both the same bike basically other than the SE lacks big tanks, correct? I also notice that the SE only has one front rotor and I think the Adv has 2, so that would be worse on the street I think.

As I said I have the 530 for more serious off road so perhaps the Adv would be a better choice...but man the SE looks cool.
not really the same bike...the SE has a steeper head angle...this makes it better in the dirt but not as stable on the street...

In the end buy the one that gets the blood pumping....I love the SE so much that I bought 2 of them....but now that I have a 690E...I don't need what the SE offers for offroad....

Don't kid yourself though a windscreen on a SE doesn't make it as comfortable or stable as the ADv on slab....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Old 10-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,262
Why choose?
Old 10-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,337
I'll add to the confusion:

1) the Adv has some wind protection - BUT the SE is a LOT quieter on the road. The wind pressure gets tiring on the SE - BUT if you have a giantloop Great Basin bag, you can lean back on that a bit and youre sweet.
2) The adv is more stable on the freeway - BUT a lot of that depends on the suspension setup (geometry). That said, even with agressive dirt wheels on the freeway, the adv feels more stable.
3) Tank range - out of the box, the ADV has better fuel range.

IMO, the SE is more fun. But the Adv is the more versatile bike.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
I'll add to the confusion:

1) the Adv has some wind protection - BUT the SE is a LOT quieter on the road. The wind pressure gets tiring on the SE - BUT if you have a giantloop Great Basin bag, you can lean back on that a bit and youre sweet.
2) The adv is more stable on the freeway - BUT a lot of that depends on the suspension setup (geometry). That said, even with agressive dirt wheels on the freeway, the adv feels more stable.
3) Tank range - out of the box, the ADV has better fuel range.

IMO, the SE is more fun. But the Adv is the more versatile bike.
yep....he is gonna need both
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,648
I have both and think that the SE is a far more versatile bike, with the following conditions:

1. 30 litre tank

2. Rear and luggage racks.

Just as fast, get to more spots, have more fun on the way, same economy, decent rims, so much better in the twisties and stabilty issues on the freeway, huh? Get a Goldwing.

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote