ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #16
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackers
I have both and think that the SE is a far more versatile bike, with the following conditions:

1. 30 litre tank

2. Rear and luggage racks.

Just as fast, get to more spots, have more fun on the way, same economy, decent rims, so much better in the twisties and stabilty issues on the freeway, huh? Get a Goldwing.
Did you read the original post....?.....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
Did you read the original post....?.....
No, of course not, is it relevant??

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #18
Jeepboy
Roost

Oddometer: 560
Have an SE, had an ADV, lost it to a fire. If you ride more paved roads then unpaved/offroad the ADV is much better at wind protection and gear hauling. Both bikes will go the same places, sometimes you have to force the ADV thru trees as its a tad wider at the tanks. I really miss my ADV as it is nicer for highway miles.
Either one will put a smile on your face, and make riding your smaller KTM a piece of cake.

My toys:
04 YZ250F
04 950 Adventure S--lost to fire
06 KLX 110
07 950 Super Enduro

http://www.katoom.smugmug.com/
$5 Smugmug coupon: FDURkYt1pFdQw
http://www.youtube.com/Katoom950
Jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #19
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
No, of course not, is it relevant??

'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #20
Skeld OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
I have both and think that the SE is a far more versatile bike, with the following conditions:

1. 30 litre tank

2. Rear and luggage racks.

Just as fast, get to more spots, have more fun on the way, same economy, decent rims, so much better in the twisties and stabilty issues on the freeway, huh? Get a Goldwing.
Goldwing? Hmm ok. I'm afraid it might be too soon to go for one of those at 27. I don't plan on riding a lot of highway at 70 MPH, but I may ride back roads at those speeds...I can probably attain those speeds on dirt if I want to and I often do on the 530.

I see your points about having both, but I'm afraid 3 KTM's might be a bit much at this point.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #21
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,428
Havent ridden an SE. Want one but havent ridden one yet. LOVE My 950 Adventure. Doesn everything I ask. And its so much fun to chase down a sportbike in the twisties on it.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #22
bthebird
Knight in muddy armor

Oddometer: 290
I own a SE and recently did a 3day tour on it and did 800km's, without any dirt (couldn't get my mates into it). Man...as my previous buttblues post says...the saddle sucks if you spend a long time on it! No probs if you stand up most of the time, but sitting is NOT comfortable on it!
I've never ever sat on an ADV saddle, but I bet its more comfortable.

But if you already own an light offroad bike, I see no reason at all for buying a SE. If it's just for the looks, you're better off buying a café-racer than an SE, right!?

As for wind protection...I have the 690SM touring screen fitted to my SE and it looks great and protects me from highway speed winds, but it does buffet and create more noise onto the helmet area. I prefer riding without it when I do short distances. I only put the screen on when I have to ride 130km/h for a longer time. I hear that many inmates have bufetting probs with their adventure screens.

As for offroad, the SE is so fun, even on roads where it is dull with a lighter bike, the SE turns it into a real challenge
But I find it very difficult to use all that power in the loose...but I'm slowly learning Picking up the bike is very tiresome though and makes me dream about those light 250cc offroaders!
bthebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #23
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
I use roads to get to dirt, and love to travel for days.

I had the choice between the 530 EXCR, 990 EFI and the 950 SER. I chose the 950 SER because I wanted more off road capability, I travel light, and compared to spending 10 hours on a DRZ400 at 50-70mph, the V-twin is a Lazyboy recliner.

Also, I got a new 08 SER, Shoei Hornet, new Alpinestar tech 9s, Akrapo exhaust, new motard gloves, Leatt Brace, new goggles, heated grips, tankbag and handguards - out the door, I payed less for all that than I would have for an 09 ADV.

My experience is that the SER is not a gear hauler, but if you can minimize your gear, and get the GreatBasin by GiantLoop, the SER is a very capable ADV bike.

I have ridden with 990 owners who go everywhere I can on the SER, and sometimes more easily as the bike is not as tall. However, the width of the ADV may be a factor if you want to do tighter trails, and the suspension is not as forgiving as the SER.

I would still buy another SER in a heartbeat.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #24
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,363
Love my SE-R. I've gone thru about 7 bikes in the last 3 years, 2 stroms, a GS, a KLR's, XRL, XRR, you get the idea. This thing kills them all and leaves me with a smile every time I start it.
Someone once told me the best bike to own is the one you never want to park. I struggle to turn the key off some days.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #25
ridelikeistoleit
slappy the hamfisted one

Oddometer: 100
good gawd,Hick-how cheep did ya get that SE fer?I'm startin to regret sumthin'.....
ridelikeistoleit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #26
Soultwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Just got my SE, been riding it almost a week now, my arse really hurt the first 3 days but it's not so bad now. I really love this bike it feels real good on the road and off. I spent most of my time learning on motocross bikes so the KTM feels fantastic between my legs. I will most likely buy the panniers so I can do some traveling... heading to the Touratech plant this week.
Before I decided on this bike my other choices were both BMW, I really liked the HP2 Enduro and the F 800 GS. I got a chance to see the HP2 but never got a chance to see an F 800GS until last week. Knowing what I do know I might have to go with the F 800 GS but I would have to ride one first.
Two things I'm not real happy with right off
#1 Wheel size... not many tire manufacturers make tires for this size
#2 Hot Exhaust

I'll let you know how the Panniers pan out...
Soultwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #27
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridelikeistoleit
good gawd,Hick-how cheep did ya get that SE fer?I'm startin to regret sumthin'.....
They were ready to deal, and I another dealer in the area would have given me the same on an '07.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #28
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,766
I have the answer

Heres what to do....try to keep your eye on the red ball ....your falling asleep, sleeep, sleeeeeeep...when you awake you will go to your ktm dealer and buy both bikes you will remember none of this and the for the rest of your life youll have a blast.!!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #29
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultwater
Two things I'm not real happy with right off
#1 Wheel size... not many tire manufacturers make tires for this size
Only every bloody dirt bike has 18" & 21" wheels. Shedloads of manufacturers make that size. How long they last on that bike is a different question.

If you are complaining about choice of road rubber ... on a dirt bike ... then yes, you should have got the F8 ...
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #30
Whaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
Had a SE....have an Adv.

the Adv is much more comfortable on the street....Much more...and the SE is better off road when things get rougher than a fireroad...

if you aren't going crazy off road get the Adv...
X2

I've got an Adventure. I've been riding mini/dirt/motorcycles for almost 40 years and I'm on my 28th bike. My R1200GSA is the most fun I've ever had, and it came as a complete surprise. I rode a GS on a whim when a friend tossed my the keys and guilted me into giving an R12GS a try. Two hours later I was signing on the dotted line. With the 90/10 tires it's an unbelievable road bike, a cornering machine that's comfortable at 80 mph all day long (once you swap the seat), and it's perfectly comfortable and tractable on logging roads and the like too, though it's too heavy to be a good off-road bike (for me). I've seen people with greater skill and bigger balls ride a GSA on steep single-track with loose shale and gravel without difficulty. The bike will manage it if you've got the confidence and the balance. They're wonderful bikes. I've owned 27 motorcycles, many of them great bikes, and this is the first one I can't imagine ever selling.

I'm shopping for a lighter enduro, like your 530, for more comfortable dirt riding. I think they GSA and the 530 would make a great pair in the garage. Add a Ducati for the track and I'd have the perfect three bike garage

By the way, why do you suppose KTM publishes the power rating of the 690 on their web-page specifications chart, but keeps the numbers for the 450 and 530 secret? It's irritating.
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote