Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #31
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy
Heres what to do....try to keep your eye on the red ball ....your falling asleep, sleeep, sleeeeeeep...when you awake you will go to your ktm dealer and buy both bikes you will remember none of this and the for the rest of your life youll have a blast.!!
AAarrrrrhhhh. Went out this morning for some milk and a paper, two hours later found myself at the KYM dealer. The power of suggestion, I can’t help it.
Certain bikes through my life have grabbed me. I mean the one’s I’d wished I’d never sold. The SE’R is staying.
It’s as much fun on the black stuff as off road, I single track mine with 250/450’s.
No screen on mine, what’s the point. I’ll take an even spread of wind resistance thanks and not solely directed in me face. At 70mph not a problem, sit back and enjoy the view..90mph not so good.
Luggage, depends how you pack your mule, sure there is less options with the KTM stuff but hey you can spend your money at tourateck without any problems. For me personally soft luggage is the way to go and I’ve toured with far too much stuff than I actually needed without any problems apart from trying to get my leg over.
The seat on the SE for long distances sucks big time, 400ish mile is the max my ass can take as standard, my solution was to look at a renazco seat, then fashion an ass pad from a military foam anti vibration pad, works a treat and I can whip it off when the going gets tough.

Got my eye on next year’s 1190 ADV though. You can’t really go wrong with either bike but I prefer the carbed 950 ADV over the 990 off road but I haven’t ridden the latest 990’s yet.

charlie264 screwed with this post 10-12-2009 at 04:08 AM
charlie264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #32
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
I use roads to get to dirt, and love to travel for days.

I had the choice between the 530 EXCR, 990 EFI and the 950 SER. I chose the 950 SER because I wanted more off road capability, I travel light.... the V-twin is a Lazyboy recliner.
I would still buy another SER in a heartbeat.
well said hick. the 950 SE is THE BEST 50/50 DUAL SPORT BIKE MADE.
PERIOD. IM SO GLAD I WENT IN DEBT FOR MINE !!! AWESOME MACHINE.
i love the 17/45 gearing. with all that torque of the twin, it pulls the tall
gearing just fine.
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #33
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,820
after riding a thumper (92 XR630RN) for 15yrs on/off road & racing the SE is soooooooooo much better on/off road i cruse at 110klm - 140klm (67.901234567901 MPH - 86.41975308642 MPH) on road paved & dirt no screen & find it quite ok.
MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 10-11-2009 at 04:29 PM
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #34
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,917
your right V2. who needs a windscreen with a bike like the SE.
ive rode mine 430+ miles back from 3 states away in one day in
the rain & was still SMILING when i got home. a true adventure
rider needs no streetbike luxuries.
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #35
OHtard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
might as well throw in my $.02

i own an adventure, but yesterday i went to a ktm demo event. i got to ride an 950 se r erzberg. up until that moment i would have said the adv was all i could ever ask for. i now lust for the se r. i do not ride a whole lot of offroad, probably about 70/30. i only got to ride the enduro on the road, but it was awe inspiring. it wanted to be slid sideways around every corner, and endo to a stop every time. if you have hooligan tendancies (which i do) you will love the se r.
i just have to figure out how to convince the wife that my adv is lonely, and needs a roomate.
OHtard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 AM   #36
Bronx
Bronx

Oddometer: 1,442
Thumb Get the SE

I have a KTM 625 SXC and the 950 SE.

I love the SE. It is the best bike I have ever owned. As others have said, it is one of the best dual sports bikes........only if you like a permanent smile on your face . I ride my on long trips (I have the aftermarket 30 litre tank) when I get the chance (400 miles per day) 7 days- 14 days without any trouble except a sore butt some times on long tar stretches.

The 530 and 950 SE will be a good combination from what you said you are after.

If I was carrying lots of luggage and a girlfriend I would go for the KTM Adv or the BMW GS Adv.

Bruce

KTM 625 SXC

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596286

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561584

If you don't get lost it is not an adventure .
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:17 AM   #37
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudder
You can modify a SE and get more windprotection, but you can't get rid of the annoying windbuffering on the 990.
You can, but you have to make a new screen shaped like this. Smooth as silk through the air.

[IMG][/IMG]
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #38
zmotomann
No Quarter

Oddometer: 393
The SE Super do all bike

This is the setup I have that makes the SE the Do all King!!!

I had a 950 Adv I am not looking back at all.

zmotomann:

www.zmwadventures.com

zmotomann screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 10:38 PM
zmotomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #39
zmotomann
No Quarter

Oddometer: 393
fuel supply

200 plus fuel range

zmotomann:

www.zmwadventures.com

zmotomann screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 10:41 PM
zmotomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #40
Bronx
Bronx

Oddometer: 1,442
Thumb SE 30 litre Safari Tank

Here is what you want.

KTM 625 SXC

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596286

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561584

If you don't get lost it is not an adventure .
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #41
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
My old adv with cut and layed back wind screen to cure buffeting thunder and a renazco to cure baboonbut does a fine job, I ride the crap out of it off road

But I would gladly trade for an SE with a safari and a renazco

If you know where the Manzanita Tunnel is and I ride through it on a day trip from my house in crestline , you would know its proof that the 950 ADVenture is no pozer bike, it will go anywhere my buddies SE's will go

Dustodust screwed with this post 10-13-2009 at 12:14 AM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #42
halfcab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeld
I'm kind of interested in one of these bikes...I have a 2009 530 EXC for serious dirt, and I'm basically looking for a street bike that I could ride down a logging road if I wanted to. But I'm not needing to go on several day trips or anything, just need to go, maybe 300 miles in a day occasionally and not be crippled. This would be at 70 mph, maybe more.

I like the looks of the SE and that it's more dirt "serious" looking, but I'm concerned that without a fairing of any kind it's just going to suck to ride it at high speeds and all that wind pushing on you will exacerbate your sore ass problem. Is that the case?
With or with out a windscreen it really does not make a difference. Unless you have a FULL windscreen like a touring bike about all others just piss you off.

The SE will be more crash worthy, easer to clean or service plus lighter with less gas and easer to man handle, but it's no EXC off road.

I'm going with an Adv, I have a EXC, LC4-E and inline 4 street bikes. All in all it truly depends on your riding area. But it sounds like a big single cylinder might make you happier.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:14 AM   #43
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeld
...I'm basically looking for a street bike that I could ride down a logging road if I wanted to. But I'm not needing to go on several day trips or anything, just need to go, maybe 300 miles in a day occasionally and not be crippled. This would be at 70 mph, maybe more....
I have an SE and had an Adventure. For what you describe above I'd go for the A. But that's because to me, the A provides a very unique and special riding experience; whereas the SE is just like riding a big dirt bike. To some that's nirvana, to me ... it's just like riding a big dirt bike and nothing special. Don't get me wrong, it's an extrodinarily capable bike; but doesn't provide me the same level of being on something special that the A does. At some point, I suspect I'll switch back; but for now the SE lets me go places and do things more easily than with the A.

As always, it ultimately comes down to how you feel about riding them and how you use them. The rest is just other people's opinions on why they made thier (or my in this case) choices. And as it's been said- it's not like there's a bad choice here
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #44
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,859
You already have a VERY good dirt bike with the 530. The SE will NEVER be as good in the truly nasty stuff as a 280 pound bike is. NEVER EVER!
And on the street, the Adventure kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!
Not to mention that I've had my Adv. "S" in places that have had people scratching their heads. (with the right tires)
I'm sure the SE is a friggin' blast to ride. But if you're able to have 2 bikes, and one of them is the 530 that already lives there..............get the Adventure.
If I ever get rid of my ZX11, for any kind of $$$$$, my plan is to get ANOTHER Adventure. Just so I have a spare!

Ride On!
Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #45
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotomann
200 plus fuel range
Tell me about those gas can sleeves!!! Did you make those or is that and Andystraps option??? That's great!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote