Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
VFR_firefly OP
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
The "Long Way" series -more harm than good?

I think the Long Way Round series has done more damage to the activity of off-road riding than any other movie/show ever released. If one really watches them with a critical and experienced eye, one can see that the manic duo picked the wrong bike for the job and suffered the consequences of that mistake through just about every sequence in the shows. They again repeated the mistake the second time in LWD as well.

But all the n00bs who watch it flocked to the BMW dealers and paged through the Touratech wish books for ages dreaming of riding these supertankers around the world. Most never get them off a paved road, much less onto real "off" road situations where they do so poorly. But a few do and suffer the consequences of riding an obese street bike in a dirtbike costume on real offroad terrain.

A skilled rider can pilot anything and these bikes do come with slightly longer travel suspensions and a few other minimalist equipment that will help them do the impossible if the rider has what it takes to magically float these beasts over rough terrain -at least better than a standard road bike without any ground clearance or longer suspension travel.

I have to laugh at the guys from KTM who royally SCREWED themselves by not giving these two guys a more capable (yet still too massive) set of bikes and securing themselves a huge marketing coup. That guy in LWR who stiffed the manic/depressive dou their pair of bikes probably lost his company millions of dollars in future sales. his mistake was EPIC, and not only cost his company, but I feel cost us all in steering the activity the wrong way round.

Spilt milk I guess.. /snivel

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
snarf
WFO and clueless

Oddometer: 661
wat
Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,313
how long are you going to worry about this? wasn't their first trip like 5 years ago?
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
I have to laugh at the guys from KTM who royally SCREWED themselves by not giving these two guys a more capable (yet still too massive) set of bikes and securing themselves a huge marketing coup. That guy in LWR who stiffed the manic/depressive dou their pair of bikes probably lost his company millions of dollars in future sales. his mistake was EPIC, and not only cost his company, but I feel cost us all in steering the activity the wrong way round.

Spilt milk I guess.. /snivel[/quote]

Kinda like the guy at M&Ms who thought E.T. would scare kids and told the producers NO. I'm hazarding a guess Reese's was glad of that execs shortsightedness...
HammerMacGreed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
KTMs would have been better tools for the job, during the limited times in which they weren't broken down.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass
KTMs would have been better tools for the job, during the limited times in which they weren't broken down.

It would not have helped KTM when their bikes kept braking down and their engines grenaded in the middle of the movie.

I think the guy from KTM is a genius and saved them from a load of bad publicity.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Blinkerfluid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
It would not have helped KTM when their bikes kept braking down and their engines grenaded in the middle of the movie.

I think the guy from KTM is a genius and saved them from a load of bad publicity.

Haha not like the ultra reliable BMW's that didn't have any problems.. Well other than the numerous frame breaks.. oh and that time they welded the frames and the brakes quit working And there were all those blown shocks.

Yep KTM's definitely not up to the challenge.. Just ask these guys:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239330
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Motzilla
Lunch-Boxer

Oddometer: 123
Bluhduh Soporific TV Show, Ridiculous!

I have never been able to watch the show more than a couple of episodes. Friends I have are doing far more interesting and courageous adventure travel without the support this two "actors" have. It is not the bikes, but the nature and concept behind the show that is self defeating, IMHO. I wish they had gone KTM and let GS be without them.
Motzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,295
I don't understand your rant. Is it a rant?
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,239
It's TV. It's entertainment. Thats all it is. I enjoyed it. Its better than other garbage I could've watched (mtv,vh1 etc). I didn't watch it as a How-to video.
If people want to flock to the BMW dealers and buy everything Touratech, thats fine. Blame them for not educating themselves, not a TV show. That's like blaming McDonalds for making people fat.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
Motzilla
Lunch-Boxer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289
It's TV. It's entertainment. Thats all it is. I enjoyed it. Its better than other garbage I could've watched (mtv,vh1 etc). I didn't watch it as a How-to video.
If people want to flock to the BMW dealers and buy everything Touratech, thats fine. Blame them for not educating themselves, not a TV show. That's like blaming McDonalds for making people fat.
Agree. Still, it could have been a better show. Helps me fall asleep though.
Motzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,208
it was about motorcycles (OK, it was about the two guys, but bikes were heavily featured) --

It wasn't some faux chopper deal.

It wasn't Sons of Aracnids (or whatever the name is)

The riders were nice guys -

I fail to see how this could be damaging, unless, of course, you're one of the guys that got yer shorts in a twist when the Motorcyclist columnist slagged guys with ADV stickers - in which case, I see your point, no more guys having fun on bikes unless they are fixing their tubes with their teeth 1/3 of the way into the Darien Gap.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,827
Screw the nitpicking! Watch where they're riding and enjoy the scenery, people, etc.

No, I don't want any berled nuts!

M
Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015
I fail to see how this could be damaging, unless, of course, you're one of the guys that got yer shorts in a twist when the Motorcyclist columnist slagged guys with ADV stickers - in which case, I see your point, no more guys having fun on bikes unless they are fixing their tubes with their teeth 1/3 of the way into the Darien Gap.
HEY! Leave my Whorebux cruiser outta this!!

M
Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Not this shit again.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote