Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #211
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant Joe View Post
BMW won, KTM lost big time.....get the fuck over it!
The distance these guys ride in the two shows is more than MOST of you arseholes will ride in your lifetimes.
Fixed it for you.
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #212
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
My personal problem with these series are, that basically they nail the ideology into peoples minds, that you cant adventure ride unless you have a dualsport, aluminium panniers, touratech gear and an aerostich costume... Whatever happened to ride-what-you-got? If I still have my sportster next summer, I'm going to adventure with it, that'll show them.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #213
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
My personal problem with these series are, that basically they nail the ideology into peoples minds, that you cant adventure ride unless you have a dualsport, aluminium panniers, touratech gear and an aerostich costume... Whatever happened to ride-what-you-got? If I still have my sportster next summer, I'm going to adventure with it, that'll show them.
watch "CYCLES SOUTH" thats the way we used to do it. never went mexico to panama thou.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #214
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
Perhaps you should try actually watching the series before making total judgment? I've yet to take a long trip where there wasn't a point I was complaining about something...only there wasn't a camera in my face to film it for later ridicule.

Quite frankly, there's a shitload more whining from the people who didn't like it than you ever see on camera, and most of the assholes in this thread haven't rolled a tire off their native soil.

I'm not a huge fan of LWD/LWR, but it was entertaining, Ewan and Charlie had a shitload of fun, and I'm sure it planted a little bit of "adventure" seed for some people to get out there and see the world, much like the ride reports here do. I'm having a hard labeling that as a bad thing.
Alright, I watched a full episode. I'm sorry, I don't have 16 hours to spend watching the whole series. They still seem like a couple of drama queens.

Sure, we like to complain when we talk about our travels. That's human nature. It's how we add drama and excitement, to our, really, all too mundane lives.

I didn't say it was a bad series, I just said that they were pussies. Yeah, I've gotten mad before, even at silly inanimate things like sand or gravel, but I've never kicked my bike. Have you?

I can see how the series would be inspiring to somebody that has never embarked upon a multi country adventure tour, but I'd have to say that I'm in the same camp as most people that I've met on the road on the same type of tours. To those that have experience, it seems kind of silly, really, because they take the day to day trials, tribulations, and serendipity and turn it into melodrama, when really these things simply add up to the every day joys of being on the road.

I do agree with others though, that it is unfortunate that they make it seem like you'd need a big GS fully outfitted with all the gear to even think of of embarking on this sort of journey. Save your money for gas, not a GS adventure, for gifts, not a micro light tent and stove. OTH, they've gotta sell the equipment, otherwise how would they get sponsors?
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)

glasswave screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 02:14 PM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #215
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
My first MC of my own was an RT. I kept seeing dirt roads and thinking 'where's THAT go?!' Traded it in on an 07 GS-Adv. Now I could go find out.

I haven't been RTW.
I HAVE been to a Whorebux on the GS-Adv, but it was a local 'round town' ride and I wasn't kitted out in the whole 'whale foreskin' suit. (just half of it!)
I HAVE taken that GS-Adv further off-road than I had talent
I DID drown it in a creek the 6th day I owned it.

My $.02? If it gets more people on motorcycles it isn't a bad thing. More people on MCs = more people watching out for the rest of us in traffic, etc.

Now if they'd only have a bicycle show similar to LWR...

M
Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #216
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
My first MC of my own was an RT. I kept seeing dirt roads and thinking 'where's THAT go?!' Traded it in on an 07 GS-Adv. Now I could go find out.

I haven't been RTW.
I HAVE been to a Whorebux on the GS-Adv, but it was a local 'round town' ride and I wasn't kitted out in the whole 'whale foreskin' suit. (just half of it!)
I HAVE taken that GS-Adv further off-road than I had talent
I DID drown it in a creek the 6th day I owned it.

My $.02? If it gets more people on motorcycles it isn't a bad thing. More people on MCs = more people watching out for the rest of us in traffic, etc.

Now if they'd only have a bicycle show similar to LWR...

M
You and I are so alike! And, that's scary.

Checkout Ride the Divide and Reveal the Path. A few shorty films here. Should be some more stuff, coming down the pipeline.

This is particularly cool.

ducnut screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 09:17 AM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #217
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly View Post
I have to laugh at the guys from KTM who royally SCREWED themselves by not giving these two guys a more capable (yet still too massive) set of bikes and securing themselves a huge marketing coup. That guy in LWR who stiffed the manic/depressive dou their pair of bikes probably lost his company millions of dollars in future sales. his mistake was EPIC, and not only cost his company, but I feel cost us all in steering the activity the wrong way round.
so what you're saying is that you would rather have a bunch of yuppies riding around on KTM950's and never going off road versus riding around on BMW GS's and never taking them off road? That would be better?

What the hell difference does it make? people are going to go buy Repsol CBR's after watching MotoGP, other people will go out and buy Harleys after watching Easy Rider.

Who cares? most riders will never take a world trip, or do a trackday on their sportbike. People are still allowed to dream, right? So what?

How does it do more harm than good?
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #218
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Because some people like to snivel about shit that doesn't matter.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #219
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
The show was entertaining, I liked it. I liked just the "Long way round", not the "down" or "to Dakar". Watching "Mondo Enduro" right now, and loving it.

As a person who never even put his leg over a fully rigged adventure bike, much less than riding one, I still can say that nobody who is seriously thinking about a trip like that would go and buy their bike, solely on merits of one show.

Its one thing to chit-chat in a pub, "Oh BMW is great! Remember those two blokes who did a trip around the globe on them. Now that's a machine!".

And its a completely different thing when you go, "Shit, I'm leaving for a six month trip, in three months, and I need a new bike. I will definitely get the bike an actor was riding on that show... you know that show where they kept falling over."

Really? Would anybody just blindly plop over 20 grand on a bike, just because Ewan McGregor rides one? If you are, then you can definitely afford it, and then get something else, mid trip, if GS is not working out for you.

For the rest of us, I think there is a bit more research and pondering. So "-more harm than good"??? I doubt it. It was a show, it was entertaining. If you are gullible and rich enough to plop your cash, based on a show, I have a bridge to sell you.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #220
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #221
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,693
indeed. great movie.
Mondo Enduro: Around the World Adventure on Two Wheels 40 Countries in 405 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
The show was entertaining, I liked it. I liked just the "Long way round", not the "down" or "to Dakar". Watching "Mondo Enduro" right now, and loving it.

As a person who never even put his leg over a fully rigged adventure bike, much less than riding one, I still can say that nobody who is seriously thinking about a trip like that would go and buy their bike, solely on merits of one show.

Its one thing to chit-chat in a pub, "Oh BMW is great! Remember those two blokes who did a trip around the globe on them. Now that's a machine!".

And its a completely different thing when you go, "Shit, I'm leaving for a six month trip, in three months, and I need a new bike. I will definitely get the bike an actor was riding on that show... you know that show where they kept falling over."

Really? Would anybody just blindly plop over 20 grand on a bike, just because Ewan McGregor rides one? If you are, then you can definitely afford it, and then get something else, mid trip, if GS is not working out for you.

For the rest of us, I think there is a bit more research and pondering. So "-more harm than good"??? I doubt it. It was a show, it was entertaining. If you are gullible and rich enough to plop your cash, based on a show, I have a bridge to sell you.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #222
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,693
this is also a an awesome 1 man video dvd
http://www.dirttrackproductions.com/ridingsolo.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #223
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Isn't that what web forums are all about? I think we had 20 pages about whether to turn off the bike with the key or kill switch.

Every possible subject gets dissected down to the most excruciating minutia, then it is given a short rest, until a new thread is eventually started and the shit storm commences once again. OTH, how else would I learn that my preload knob has 36 clicks end to end w/o walking all the way to the garage, along with a handy discussion of the physics involved in extruding spring steel!
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #224
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,881
I have been wearing out a big adventure bike over the last eight years and 186,000 miles of slab commuting, and braving the wilds of Orange County, making my way to the exotic lost treasures of Newport Beach and coffee.

The true adventurer braves the scorn of neighbors and goe without showering or shaving for several days then dresses in his best whaleforeskin suit and rides off early in the pre-dawn fog to find a latte' and possibly if he is real early a near as it gets French breakfast thingy, (can't spell it so its a thingy).

Me?
I like coffee and chocolate.
Here a buddy has joind me with his new to him kit. Note: High adventure gear,

All good fun, I own both DVD;s from the Long Way series. i enjoy them again and again. And I'm willing to not take myself too seriously.
These days my adventures revolve around months long stays away from home and loved ones in exotic hotels spread across the midwest and southwest. Enduring dry counties, state liquor stores and odd traffic. All from the confines of rental cars and expense accounts. Meantime my tired and aging adventure whiles away the months up on its centerstand plugged into a tender.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:38 AM   #225
UFObuster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Can you say Macho?

"All good fun, I own both DVD;s from the Long Way series. i enjoy them again and again. And I'm willing to not take myself too seriously. "

I liked and own the DVDs, too. The characters of Charlie and Ewan added to the adventure theme in an uncharacteristic way. They were vulnerable and self-efacing; they invited you along and you enjoyed their company.

After living on and sailing the North Atlantic for more than 5 years in small boats, I'm done with the posturing macho types who deliberately put themselves in harms way to write about it and sell books. From the 50's onward, the Brits were coming in this direction in 25 foot wooden sail boats (Ventures) and inspiring a whole generation of adventure sailors who got totally out of hand describing brutal sails around Cape Horne, single handed non-stop circumnavigations, rolling over their boats, getting sunk by whales, and even drilling out their own cavities with hand tools....one boat jock would just try to out-do the next.....just too f'ing much...

Frankly, I found Boorman and Mcgregor refreshing in their outlook without losing their tenacity to finish the project in an unpretencious way. I cannot see how any harm attaches to this.

Like the previous post, I enjoy modest adventures on a competent bike. I don't need to be the target for someone who has to prove their manhood....nor do I need to demonstrate mine. Just ride on and enjoy it as much and as long as you can....
UFObuster is offline   Reply With Quote