Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #16
Deanowade
Chronic Dumbass

Oddometer: 116
Have not watched any of it. But I am curious as to how the series “… has done more damage to the activity of off-road riding than any other movie/show ever released.”? What was damaged and how? Did that horrendous pap called “Top Gun” damage naval aviation?
Deanowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
Blinkerfluid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motzilla
...Friends I have are doing far more interesting and courageous adventure travel without the support this two "actors" have...

Maybe, but your friends didn't video tape it for everyone to watch.

I really don't understand why people like to whine about what they did.. Does having a support crew make it less of an Adventure? Does it somehow negate the fact that they still rode their motorcycles around the world?? As far as I'm concerned, the only people who have any room at all to give the long way guys grief, are the few people who have done similar trips and recorded their travels to share with everyone.
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 567
Take it for what it is. The nay sayers just sound a little bitter because they didn't do it first.

KTM, BMW, any enduro bike they would have taken would have been grossly overloaded anyway. I thought they held up quite well, particularly after they flooded the engine with water and I saw water spewing out the exhaust. Most bikes would have thrown a rod through the case at that point.

Would a KTM have been able to carry the contents of a 1/2 ton truck? Not sure.

As for the OP, I would be interested to hear which bike, specifically, you think should have been the bike of choice?
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static
KTM, BMW, any enduro bike they would have taken would have been grossly overloaded anyway.
That's the nut of it right there, if you ask me. If you looked at all the crap they took with them on those bikes, just about any bike would wind up with a cracked frame after a few hundred miles. One each of everything for each person, just about. From the list in the back of the book: toilet paper roll holders; Thermarest chairs and folding stools; fishing bags and tackle boxes; multiple cook stoves; binoculars; Dictaphones (WTF??); snoods (whatever those are); soap, travel soap, shower gel, shampoo, shaving gel (one bar of soap would do for all of those); and on and on. Took them halfway around the world to figure out they had four times as much stuff as they needed.

But in spite of all that, I enjoyed the series, and still watch it again from time to time. Very cool to see the people they met, the places they went, and all that stuff. I wish I could do it, too.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #20
Motzilla
Lunch-Boxer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkerfluid

I really don't understand why people like to whine about what they did.. Does having a support crew make it less of an Adventure?
Sure, Watch: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=estonia

Besides, it is only a show and yes I find it uninteresting, it could have been a blast IMO, that's all
Motzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #21
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 883
As much as I hesitate to wade into this one...

Did they plan and execute some things in a less than ideal manner? Sure.

Was LWD inferior? Absolutely.

Did they damage participation in or perceptions of an activity that beforehand, and even now, less than 1/2% of the population has even thought about or can conceive of? No way.

At the end of the day I'd rather watch that sort of stuff than just about any of the other drivel currently slopped out on television or at the theater.

Also, I find it incredibly hard to dislike either Ewan or Charlie. Think about what a lot of other celebrities out there do with their lives. Buy a mansion, a bunch of cars, hole up in a compound and basically create their own little world and consider that paradise.

Those two guys (even if they might have some of the things listed above) still had/have the curiousity and natural desire to explore and experience the world.

"Celebrities" I'd like to have a beer with: Tom Waits, Tom Robbins, Henry Rollins, Chuck Palahniuk, the OP and there are probably a few more but I'm not going to sit here and think too hard. Charlie and Ewan are on that list, though - because they had an experience I would find worth my time discussing. Hell, I love talking to anyone that's into this very niche sort of thing.

What's the worst the series might have done to this activity? Caused some middle-aged men to choose GSAs over Corvettes? Hasn't impacted me a bit. Never will.

EDIT: BTW - If you guys are seeing big unridden adventure bikes all over your area as part of a LWR/LWD-inspired craze I'll trade you locations. All I see around here are OCC-style $40k unridden choppers. I'd rather talk to an adventure-wannabe than a Hell's Angels-wannabe every single day of the week. At least maybe the former can be helped.

Raoul Duke screwed with this post 10-06-2009 at 12:13 PM
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #22
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
I think the Long Way Round series has done more damage to the activity of off-road riding than any other movie/show ever released. l
So... these two Buddhist monks discover a beautiful babe crying by the side of the river. She tells the monks that she needs to cross but is terrified of drowning.

One of the monks tells her not to worry. He says that he will carry her across on his shoulders and that she will be safe.
And so they all cross and upon reaching the other side the monk carrying the woman lowers her to the ground safely and they say goodbye.

3 hours go by and finally the monk who did not carry the woman turns to the other monk and says... " Why did you do that... you know that it is against our sworn oath to touch a woman in any way ".
To which the first monk replied.... I put her down hours ago... why are you still carrying her? "

Sorry Fly... you just don't get the opportunity to tell good Buddhist monk stories every day.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #23
Z0RR0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate
I don't understand your rant. Is it a rant?
He is high. Is he?
Z0RR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #24
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,447
I think VFR is bored today. He seems to be doing a little more and a little more than usual. And I can't say that I blame him. I don't have the personality for kicking over fire ant hills just to see what happens. But I am glad he does. You can only debate tires, look at TB and tell n00bs how to ride giant adventure bikes offroad for so long before you go completely brain dead. We need a new forum just for kicking around n00bs that bought bikes they can't and probably never will be able to ride offroad. Which is, I think, his real agenda here.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #25
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,811
yep this shit again.

Ewan & Charley also did the UK to suthe efrikaa one and another where they used all manner of transport.....

A much better Brit bike road movie was this one - minimalist rising mopeds up vietnam.

Thanks to E & C the UK is crawling with giant manky Beemers nowadays - don't see many KTM's.
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #26
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
Not this shit again. Give it a rest.

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #27
yazhound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkerfluid

I really don't understand why people like to whine about what they did.. Does having a support crew make it less of an Adventure? Does it somehow negate the fact that they still rode their motorcycles around the world?? As far as I'm concerned, the only people who have any room at all to give the long way guys grief, are the few people who have done similar trips and recorded their travels to share with everyone.
Hell, watching both documentaries only makes me want to get out there and do my own trip. I give em props for doing what they did. And if there are "better" bikes out there for doing the trip doesn't that lend itself to giving them a pat on the back for making it on those beasts?

As a long way "homer" I have also read the books and it is clearly apparent that the guys just love bikes and the challenges their trips presented. How is that harmful?
yazhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #28
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,668
Not again.........
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #29
megaira
Capt. Vimes Biggest Fan

Oddometer: 95
They were well above the top end the bikes could carry with all the camera gear and junk they were toting around, including more than one full set of tools. The actual weight they were over was mentioned in one episode - Ewan was getting rid of some of his stuff, knowing he was grossly overloaded.

I don't see what the big deal is. A bike is a tool. Some tools are better suited to some tasks than others. You pick the best tool you feel works for the task at hand. In this case, the task at hand was: getting free bikes to ride across the world and for "free" they got to use roughly 60,000$ worth of stuff from BMW.

From BMW's side, they put two dual sport newbies on their best DS bikes, let them abuse and overload them on a cross country trip through russia and mongolia, and not only did the bikes survive the trip with a few welds (Claudio's ABS woes were the result of someone forgetting to unhook the battery before welding the frame), but the riders came out raving about how much they loved them.

I liked the show. It wasn't the most entertaining thing I've ever watched, but I enjoyed it. I liked the guys. I thought they were aimable good sorta human beings who found a way to make their dream trip happen and pay for itself. They made a few human blunders along the way, they tried to offer up some information about people and what they saw. I don't see what there is to get all excited about.

Did it start a big popular trend? Y'mean, buying the wrong tool for the job? Who rides motorcycles and *hasn't* done that at least once? GS has always had a pretty distinctive look to it, and one part of that is: they look enjoyable to go ride. They look like they'll fit. People would buy them anyway, with or without Charlie and Ewan, and since we usually see them dinged up and covered in mud...

If people do buy into a fantasy to own a GS and travel to the ends of the earth and it doesn't work out, there'll be more GS's on craigs list to choose from.
megaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #30
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
If one really watches them with a critical and experienced eye, one can see that the manic duo picked the wrong bike for the job and suffered the consequences of that mistake through just about every sequence in the shows.
Dead right. They should have dumped the bikes and hitched a lift with the support vehicles. Or just hop on a scheduled flight.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote