Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #31
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 11,211
This guy stayed at my house a week or so ago on his way around the world. http://www.explore-the-globe.com/

He was inspired by the Long Way series. Would he of done it if not for the series? only he knows that, but hes out there still heading towards miami and beyond. How is that harmful?

Great guy, and I'm glad my name was on the tent space thread and he looked it up. I'm sure there are others who were inspired by the series. Me, I've never seen it personally but will one of these days.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #32
TripleTee
Over the river

Oddometer: 5,330
For those of us who will never visit such places, especially on two wheels, it presented a pretty vivid picture of some very remote locales, introduced us to some very interesting aspects of people and showed some parts of the landscape we'll never see. I enjoyed the hell out of both series.

When i'm 92 and if I still have money to spend and i want to give it to someone with boobs, then fuck you thats what.
- Little Foot
TripleTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #33
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
I was inspired by the series, no doubt about it. But, I didn't rush out to buy a $20,000 German tractor because of it. Lots of people did just like me, and simply got on a bike because the series reminded them of the possibility of adventure in that manner, no more no less.

I'm on a Vstrom and a TTR250 and an XRL because of Charley & Ewan. I'd wager that plenty more people just like me have made our hobby better without the help of Touratech or a roundel. They didn't invent my love of adventure riding, they just awoke it again.

And, I loved the series, all of them. I don't resent them, or think less of them, or view them with scorn. In fact, I think both guys are decent and pleasant freely admit they were lucky to be in the position they were.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #34
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
I was inspired by the series, no doubt about it. But, I didn't rush out to buy a $20,000 German tractor because of it. Lots of people did just like me, and simply got on a bike because the series reminded them of the possibility of adventure in that manner, no more no less.

I'm on a Vstrom and a TTR250 and an XRL because of Charley & Ewan. I'd wager that plenty more people just like me have made our hobby better without the help of Touratech or a roundel. They didn't invent my love of adventure riding, they just awoke it again.

And, I loved the series, all of them. I don't resent them, or think less of them, or view them with scorn. In fact, I think both guys are decent and pleasant freely admit they were lucky to be in the position they were.

Agreed, it's kind of hard for me to put the timeline together but I'm pretty sure that it played some part in elevating my aspirations. That, a million ride reports, Horizons Unlimited, etc...

And what did I buy for my first dual-sport? A DR650.

Strong odds on a DR being my RTW bike too. Not the sexiest thing on two wheels but damned if it doesn't do about anything I can reasonably expect from it.

Hell, come to think of it - I LEARNED something from them! GSA's are a handful when it gets rough.

Thanks Ewan and Charlie!
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #35
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,070
I was inspired by LWR.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #36
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I loved LWR, it was a laugh a minute watching Ewan and Charlie make every doofus mistake possible.

"Mongolia is so large... and the roads are nothing but mile after mile of dirt and rocks!"

I heard that goat balls are a big delicacy.

Low mileage, used DR650... the perfect bike for the adventures that you will actually have.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #37
HighScore
No More, all done.

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass
KTMs would have been better tools for the job, during the limited times in which they weren't broken down.

After owning a KTM, I know EXACTLY why they backed out of the LWD deal.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #38
Cranky Yankee
exulcero

Oddometer: 600
I got it all wrong, I had never even heard of Charlie and Ewan before buying my GSA. I was just shopping for a tool to fill a need.

Honest!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #39
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
LRW definitely had its moments. Loved the Mongolia and Road of Bones sections. Ewan is a bit of a twit, but ,whatever...

My only real complaint is the weasely little producer guy who sounded like he's never been out of L.A. before. Mama's boy.

And I couldn't see why in the hell they didn't get Sportsmobiles for support vehicles!
http://www.sportsmobile.com/index.html

I would have loved to be the camera guy on that trip. And "Dust to Glory" for that matter.

If LWR inspired people to get into motorcycling, then that means more revenue for the industry as a whole, which can mean better economies of scale, which leads to more R&D, and better products for all of us. And perhaps a better public image to non riders which may help w/ access issues and such.

T.Low screwed with this post 10-06-2009 at 10:40 PM
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #40
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Hey, BCC

BCC, you gotta a link explaining that move of yours? Looks sweet.

I mean, the picture more than adequately tells the story, but I thought it may be fun to actually hear your version of the details.
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #41
megaira
Capt. Vimes Biggest Fan

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by agiduda
I got it all wrong, I had never even heard of Charlie and Ewan before buying my GSA. I was just shopping for a tool to fill a need.

Honest!
That work on the wife? lol "I got a new tool today!"

I shoulda said "LIKE a tool" but I was simile impaired today.
megaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #42
leonphelps
TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer: 1,048
Ok....enough all ready...NOT AGAIN.....
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #43
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 623
I wasn't introduced to adventure riding by Ewan and Charlie

Life before "Long Way Down"

but I do ride a big GS and I find it the best touring bike currently available.

I loved the series but perhaps not as much as I loved that full set of Snap On tools Charlie was given
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:04 AM   #44
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Low
...I would have loved to be the camera guy on that trip...
Claudio von Planta is the real hero of that trip, IMHO. Cool guy, fearless rider and excellent cameraman.

I thought LWR was a good thing, all in all. It certainly helped me to 'set the bar' in terms of my own aspirations, such as they are. Do I want to ride in Mongolia? Yes, I do. Do I want to get eaten alive by mosquitos on the Road of Bones? No, I don't (I'm susceptible ).

I'm convinced that KTM took the route of least pain by withdrawing; the potential negative publicity if their bikes had failed would have been devastating to them. Should E & C gone with TT39s - adapted F650GSs - instead? Maybe. Certainly the F800GS, had it been available, might have been a better option for LWD; lighter so easier to pick up in the sand.

LWR was fun. LWD lost the plot a little and if there's to be a LWU (Ushuaia to Prudhoe Bay) I hope they get back more to the riding experience and less to the 'drama' of the trip.

These look interesting:

Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 AM   #45
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
I didn't see LWR when it was on the TV so it really didn't have any influence over my choice of getting the 12GS Adv. I just liked it because it was BIG, ugly and had a big tank range since I hate trying to find a gas station in the middle of nowhere
But after reading about Nick Sanders's trips on his Yamaha R1 I started to consider meself a wuss.....so I traded in the GSA for an K12S and now I'm going to Mongolia on it......yeah, right
I must admit though that Nick Sanders was the reason why I started looking into a more sports oriented bike since I had terrible lower back pains from riding the GS and now I'm on my 5'Th day of owning the K1200S and have no more pain and I can actually walk when I get off the bike

To say that Ewan and Charley did a disservice to motorcycling and adventuring is quite narrowminded, isn't it?!
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote