Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #76
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,689
Hmm, little man syndrome as exercised through the lens of "real off-road riding" and motorcycle brand political correctness.

Nice.

The OP is talking about harm -- but it's not clear to me if there's anything in particular that could possibly be harmed. Even if such pop movies had used Vespas or KLRs or Ducati Monsters. It's pop entertainment. The bulk of its impact is people sitting around in front of their TVs eating popcorn. People might learn a thing or two about hitchiking in Siberia or something. Cover your eyes!!! You could be scarred for life!! Lock up your daughters!!

Next the OP will start a thread about how much harm Britney Spears is doing to teenagers by wearing Nike sneakers instead of Reeboks in her music videos... because we all know Reeboks are much better at going up and down stairs. No serious walker could use Nikes. I can't wait for that discussion.

configurationspace screwed with this post 10-08-2009 at 05:36 PM
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #77
VFR_firefly OP
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace

Next the OP will start a thread about how much harm Britney Spears is doing to teenagers by wearing Nike sneakers instead of Reeboks in her music videos... I can't wait for that discussion.
I doubt you will find many people who aren't Gen-X-ers who will say that Britney hasn't harmed western culture. The world is a poorer place for her "contributions."

But it's a free world. -if a poorer one due to that skanky ho warping the youth of today.

And the moto-world is full of posers on super-tanker ADV bikes who can't ride up a simple hill or across a few muddy ruts due to buying the wrong/too-large of a bike to start on, mistakenly believing it to be a "capable" off-road vehicle.

The modern ADV-er is to adventure-riding what a RUB-clown on a hardley fat-blob bike is to street riding. It's a shame, really.

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #78
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky
From the list in the back of the book: toilet paper roll holders...snoods (whatever those are); and on and on. Took them halfway around the world to figure out they had four times as much stuff as they needed.
snood (courtesy of dictionary.com) - 4. the pendulous skin over the beak of a turkey.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #79
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
I doubt you will find many people who aren't Gen-X-ers who will say that Britney hasn't harmed western culture. The world is a poorer place for her "contributions."

But it's a free world. -if a poorer one due to that skanky ho warping the youth of today.

And the moto-world is full of posers on super-tanker ADV bikes who can't ride up a simple hill or across a few muddy ruts due to buying the wrong/too-large of a bike to start on, mistakenly believing it to be a "capable" off-road vehicle.

The modern ADV-er is to adventure-riding what a RUB-clown on a hardley fat-blob bike is to street riding. It's a shame, really.
Seriously man, if the riders are having fun(most seem to be) who cares! Do posers hurt you? I like posers, most of them are nice well meaning people trying to have a bit of fun. Let them be.

As for skanky 15 yr olds...that doesn't hurt me either. Its just a style, like baggy jeans, or rolled up sleeves. Plumbers crack offends me more honestly.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #80
VFR_firefly OP
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr
Seriously man, if the riders are having fun(most seem to be) who cares! Do posers hurt you? I like posers, most of them are nice well meaning people trying to have a bit of fun. Let them be.

As for skanky 15 yr olds...that doesn't hurt me either. Its just a style, like baggy jeans, or rolled up sleeves.
These posers are what are driving motorcycle sales. Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy a variety of decent 400cc road-legal ADV-type REAL dirt bikes from every manufacturer? And they sold like hotcakes and were common used because everyone wanted to be like the two normal round the world REAL dirt riders who weren't passive-aggressive manic-depressive weenies? Wish they would have made the movie with a couple of enduro riders like Jeff Fredette.

There would still be a ton of wannabes out there -but they'd be riding decent machinery that I'd actually want to buy used. Wouldn't THAT be a good thing? Instead we have these GS monstrosities that are jokes.

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #81
footballboy3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
why can't we all just get along????
footballboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #82
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballboy3
why can't we all just get along????
Because stubborn old people that don't want people to have their own opinions won't let us.

OH GOD!! A television show is ruining my life, AWWWWWWW!!!!!

I bought a GS after the movies, I love the damn thing, but I also have a DRZ400 sitting right next to it for when I actually want to dual sport beyond a gravel road. The GS is a great alternative 2 up beast for me and the wife to explore street and forest service roads in the area, plus a decent touring bike. The DRZ isn't much fun two up. I'm glad a bunch of people bought the thing and then sold them. I got a decent deal on mine and I'm happy. I sure as hell didn't want to buy a new one for that price.

The damn thing performs on the street as well. It's more fun to ride than my 600rr was because not only is it fun in the twisties, but it's comfortable once I am on the slab.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #83
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
These posers are what are driving motorcycle sales. Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy a variety of decent 400cc road-legal ADV-type REAL dirt bikes from every manufacturer? And they sold like hotcakes and were common used because everyone wanted to be like the two normal round the world REAL dirt riders who weren't passive-aggressive manic-depressive weenies? Wish they would have made the movie with a couple of enduro riders like Jeff Fredette.

There would still be a ton of wannabes out there -but they'd be riding decent machinery that I'd actually want to buy used. Wouldn't THAT be a good thing? Instead we have these GS monstrosities that are jokes.
Fair enough, but it still wouldn't be perfect. I enjoy trying different bikes, and riding. I like the gs monstrosities, harleys, and everything else. There is no perfect bike, there wasn't before the posers and there will not be after the posers.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #84
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
[quote=VFR_firefly]These posers are what are driving motorcycle sales. Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy a variety of decent 400cc road-legal ADV-type REAL dirt bikes from every manufacturer? And they sold like hotcakes and were common used because everyone wanted to be like the two normal round the world REAL dirt riders who weren't passive-aggressive manic-depressive weenies? Wish they would have made the movie with a couple of enduro riders like Jeff Fredette.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Hey Mcfly, You are a whiner.
no one is stopping you from your dream. Put on your Nikes and just do it. Make your own movie

I know, you are just a talker that likes to complain. Wait does that make YOU the poser or a want-a-be.

That is my favorite line in the movie Wild Hogs when Tim Allen asked the big bad "biker". "Who is the real poser" ?
So same to you Mcfly who is the poser?

Pappy541 screwed with this post 10-13-2009 at 11:40 AM
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #85
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 911
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #86
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr
Fair enough, but it still wouldn't be perfect. I enjoy trying different bikes, and riding. I like the gs monstrosities, harleys, and everything else. There is no perfect bike, there wasn't before the posers and there will not be after the posers.
You are soooo right, sir - there is no perfect bike, that's why I have three

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #87
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
So get your ass into gear Dood! Riding to Cincinnati or Paducah isn't a big deal.
Taking care of my elderly mother, my children, and securing a nice retirement for myself and my wife IS a big deal, which is why I don't ride around the world and indulge in selfish pursuits. My adventures are small, but they're meaningful to the only person that matters....which isn't you, but thanks for taking interest in my riding hobby.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #88
unbeliever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I just watch them for Charley's wife.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #89
locopostie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I loved the whining, and watching them put there backs out picking up their bikes. I think its a great series. One can learn a lot from others mistakes. Plus, as someone stated earlier, the gear that's now available, is great.
If one really wants to watch a show that does damage, watch "Man vs Wild". A survival show. I saw a program of his where he skis down a mountain, ends up on a glacier, some how crawls under it. Throws away his ski boots. Wearing just the liners he now descends thousands of feet, only to find a water fall in his way. He then tells you that the safest way down is not in the trees where you will have footing, and tons of things to help your decent, but right in the middle of the water fall. So leaving the safety of the trees he now must down climb a near vertical wall, with glacial cold water running over his head.
There were enough complaints about his programs that they now come with a warning.

2009 DR650
locopostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #90
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
My only worry is that non-riders will think that riders hug each other often and cry about the number of miles we have to put on the next day.

I read LWR and am watching LWD on DVD and Ewan crying about "the negativity" is the only thing I don't like. Otherwise, the trips themselves are cool and the video (from DVD) is great.