Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #121
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,435
ANY time I see motorcycling depicted in the media I prepare to cringe....based on decades of watching sensationalistic crap.
"Long Way" could have been much worse... and the star power of Ewen allowed media exposure to a motorcycling that didn't involve outlaws or "chopper build" morons shouting at each other or particpants written off as "daredevils".

Compared to past depictions of our sport out there I'll be more then happy to watch the Long way "up/out/in/over/on"...whatever, in the future.
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #122
VFR_firefly OP
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister
ANY time I see motorcycling depicted in the media I prepare to cringe....based on decades of watching sensationalistic crap.
"Long Way" could have been much worse... and the star power of Ewen allowed media exposure to a motorcycling that didn't involve outlaws or "chopper build" morons shouting at each other or particpants written off as "daredevils".

Compared to past depictions of our sport out there I'll be more then happy to watch the Long way "up/out/in/over/on"...whatever, in the future.
Too bad they don't make a sequel to On Any Sunday that isn't a Kawasaki infomercial.

Dust to Glory was good...

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #123
Ramage
needs improvement

Oddometer: 204
Speaking of Kawasaki...can you imagine where we would be if Ewan and Charlie had been on KLR's?

It's all good. Just ride something somewhere. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #124
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramage
Speaking of Kawasaki...can you imagine where we would be if Ewan and Charlie had been on KLR's?
Only possible if they were paying for the bikes!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 AM   #125
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
How much damage could they do? I think a lot of people looked at those shows and thought ' If those 2 fools can do it why can't I ?'
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:27 AM   #126
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
I spoke to a UK KTM dealers manager not long ago and this came up. The production company wanted £200k from him as well as bikes so he suggested asking KTM UK themselves and I guess they thought it was a bit too cheeky as well.

I don't think it's done much harm at all really, if anything it's helped the aftermarket parts sector with more people wanting to do long trips on a wider range of bikes than ever.
Obviously it's helped BMWs sales but I think its let KTM keep an image of more offroad adventure than the BMW, which in one respect is a good thing. Every day I see so many GS riding in London all kitted out and rider with all the BMW clothing but there is no hint that it has even seen a gravel car park let alone another country. Admittidly I see a number of KTMs that are like that too, but percentage wise I'd say I see more KTMs that have done something interesting and adventurous.
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #127
laukkanen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOME
I spoke to a UK KTM dealers manager not long ago and this came up. The production company wanted £200k from him as well as bikes so he suggested asking KTM UK themselves and I guess they thought it was a bit too cheeky as well.
honestly looking at the cost of a trip like that combined with the absolutely amazing advertising opportunity, £200k isn't bad. I'm sure the series has been a significant help to making the BMW GS bikes the best selling motorcycle in the UK the past two years.
laukkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #128
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by laukkanen
I'm sure the series has been a significant help to making the BMW GS bikes the best selling motorcycle in the UK the past two years.
According to who/what?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #129
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,189
Thank you gents - all of you. Nice lunch time read - lol'd a few times.

Y'all are some funny Fr's.

For the record - movie's good by me. Had to buy a GS to find the movie though, did it backwards. Guys on bikes see places I probably won't go. Beats most shite on the tube if you gotta watch something.

Faster is fun too. Anyone looking to part with an SV650s track bike? Am I a poser if I'm not racing GP?
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #130
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,098
If not racing GP is the standard that would make 99.999999% of us posers. You get a poser pass on that one.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #131
Xring 0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
I was inspired by the series, no doubt about it. But, I didn't rush out to buy a $20,000 German tractor because of it. Lots of people did just like me, and simply got on a bike because the series reminded them of the possibility of adventure in that manner, no more no less.

I'm on a Vstrom and a TTR250 and an XRL because of Charley & Ewan. I'd wager that plenty more people just like me have made our hobby better without the help of Touratech or a roundel. They didn't invent my love of adventure riding, they just awoke it again.

And, I loved the series, all of them. I don't resent them, or think less of them, or view them with scorn. In fact, I think both guys are decent and pleasant freely admit they were lucky to be in the position they were.
I enjoyed the series (watched the last half of LWD this afternoon) . I got back into riding because of the series. I did not buy a BMW. I bought a KLR. Another inmate whom I met at a baptism reception last week did exactly the same thing. We are conspiring to convert his brother-in-law to ride some adventures.

We are just working guys who want to ride places off the beaten track.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #132
theboxers
Getting Out There

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
According to who/what?
I think he means of the large capacity adv bikes. The 125 and scooter markets are still selling more.
.Got Licence. Got the bike.

Now what have I forgoten. Oh yeah RIDE IT

theboxers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #133
bard
Devilrider

Oddometer: 29
Did Ewan and Charley damage adventure biking?

Nah - they increased it's popularity, a lot of people were inspired of the series.

I guess somebody buys a GSA to look like adventure riders with full gear, like the born again lawyers and doctors riding HD choppers as born again "rough bikers" having glue on tattoos and fake beards. These guys is just fake and want the look... And I honestly don't care.

Also guess someone was buying a GSA or other Beemer due to the series, and tried it out. The GSA is great for the road but there are better touring bikes for the tarmac, FJR1300 as an example. For those who tried them offroad I guess they figured out it was not the bees knees. Would I ride a GSA on the same tour if I got it free, for free you kidding I would.

I found the series funny, entertaining and informing. It clearly confirmed for me that the GSA is not for these tours, and it clearly reminded me that pack as light as you can.

That did not harm me, and I guess I cannot be the only one who enjoyed it and confirmed what I did.
bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #134
deefors dad
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Oops

I obviously got this all wrong. There was me thinking LWR and LWD were entertainment shows produced for the masses.
I should have realised that these shows are documentaries about long distance off road adventure riding.
I feel a bit silly now........
deefors dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #135
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
I enjoyed the shows and will travel vicariously with them through the shitty weather this winter. I would have done a few things different but it wasn't my trip. To me, its about bikes and far away places. Places I may never get to.

The scene in LWR where the boys were talking to the OCC guy about traveling through Mongolia it appeared like OCC guy was cluelessly thinking "What's a Mongolia"?

I thought Charlie's rant when KTM said no was pretty good. (consecutive bleeps)

Al