Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #61
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie
No more excuses Gus, lets go riding!
Jeez Charlie, I have never ridden this type or in the dirt on purpose, let me practice just a little. Throw your's on the trailer and come down here and play... ??

I hope to get at least one trip up to go with you guys before it gets too cold.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #62
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,154
It's a deal Gus. Maybe after the rain passes next week (and you get to ride with Terry some) I will trail down there maybe Wed or Thu and we can hook up for a lil ride then get lunch somewhere?
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #63
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Check you gmail Gus.
I hope I got the right email.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #64
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Check you gmail Gus.
I hope I got the right email.
Yeah, you got the right mail box. It is too late and I'm too stupid to get it done tonight, will try again in the AM, holler if you are coming this away . I wanna ride more than I want to wrench so I hope it ain't too cold for delicate widdle me in the AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #65
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie
It's a deal Gus. Maybe after the rain passes next week (and you get to ride with Terry some) I will trail down there maybe Wed or Thu and we can hook up for a lil ride then get lunch somewhere?
I could possibly trailer with you..?? meet you in HSV, we'll load mine onto your trailer, split the gas and go ride with gussy boy..watcha think??
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #66
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
I could possibly trailer with you..?? meet you in HSV, we'll load mine onto your trailer, split the gas and go ride with gussy boy..watcha think??
Me like this plan...
Old 11-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #67
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
Yup, lets do it. Lets see when they predict a rain free day and pick one.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 11-14-2009 at 07:59 PM
Old 11-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #68
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Gus,
I found a nice modified XT500.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #69
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Gus,
I found a nice modified XT500.
No see picture..... :cornfused: he he he
Old 11-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #70
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

My first real ride on my XT today.

Warm day so I put on long pants and went out and got lucky and started 'RednBlack' and went for a ride.

Colleen got a pic just before I pulled out.

Had a battery powered screwdriver in my pocket plus a Swiss Army knife and knockoff Leatherman in the other pocket. Camera and glasses. Good to go.

Went to the West overlooks and loop, back past the house and then north to visit a guy and then roads end. Back tracked from there and went down another road, detoured down a power line with two slat blocks set out by hunters. Ended up running into a fence and had to backtrack. The 4 wheeler deer hunters and not gone that far. *snerk*...

2 miles of slab and then North to the rim of the mountain. Stopped and talked to a group of hunters and added before leaving that the sound of RednBlack was not a buck deer and to not shoot me, they agreed to not do dat.

Was doing fine until I saw an 'old' overgrown used to be road and I took off down it. Got to the part that went over the edge and it was a bit gnarly so I went to get off and have a look and I only had half a side stand. Rut Row !!!! Well, I knew that the bottom part was just driven on (don't ask) but it had not fell off before so..... anywho it was gone and I had been in weeds and leaves for several miles so it was history as far as I was concerned. Trees & walls it would be the rest of the day.

I decided it was to rough to do alone in the first 20 miles of dirt biking on a 32 year old machine that I knew was not perfect and there was no need to do dat. Had I not already gone around several mud holes instead of trying to swim them? Rational caution was to the order of the day.

Onward to more dirt, side roads, peoples yards, and whoops and hollers. Ones was full of junk with a fresh tin whistle, mud and things to make me worry about getting back out without falling over. Another was a hay barn.

Stopped for a drink and did a self portrait. Then went to the car wash.

Then there was the crooked house built by the crooked man on the crooked road that needed closer pictures.

I went into a nice mowed hay field and took some. Then I was going around back and the nice field was hidding a low place with about 3 inches of wet and syrup mud underneath. Just feed in the power, try not to fall down and pray... Seemed to work that time, got my pictures and went around the mud on the way out. Of course now I had to go back to the car wash. I hate to work on a dirty machine and I knew i had side stand stuff to do.

Went hither & yon, found a good place for a speed run and took her to red line. A tick over 70 and going flat right at 6500. okay, no need to do dat again, can't see much when I have to watch my riding and watch for authorized authority. She likes 55 pretty well and I bet the MPG is better too. Got back home without doing anymore damage.

I got this far on the sidestand repair tonight.

I'll have more comments and description on the pics in the album.

It is here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Dragon43/FirstADVRideXT#

Had a great time, fun stuff to ride on and in and only had to go less than 60 miles to do it. My kind of ADV ridding. Lots of vistas and sights, smells and skunks & flowers.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #71
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Way to go Gus,
thats what makes it great, the Unknown at times. Then the fact most of the time you don;t have to worry about cages trying to run over you.

Theres no turning back now. RIGHT!

Old 11-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #72
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,056
Time machine

You know if you took that XT back to when it was built and showed the guys built that bike the GPS you got on it the engineers wouldn't believe their eyes. Probably think you were crazy if you told them how it works.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #73
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

There was a coyote eating out of the fox buffet at 9PM tonight.

Yeah, we feed the critters....

First impressions of the 77 XT-500.

I am always leery of untested machine, new or old until I see what they do and what they need to keep doing what they are supposed to.

Now these are a bit strange to start in the first place and supposed to be temperamental and so after the first car wash I wondered if I would need to call Colleen to bring the truck. Nope!!!

After the second car wash within 30 minutes? Nope!!!!

2 house seat time I noticed but actually not as sore as Blue (77 Kaw) makes me,

It being so light, it is less strain to ride and even if seemingly small, the leg position with me being able to move for+aft made it not too bad. Need to make a 2X2 liter seat helper and see what that does or maybe a sheep skin.

Need to be real careful of any thing on the pavement in the curves, the back end breaks loose very very easy. Sleeping at the switch could be real bad.

As I lean into the corners it develops some over steer and catches me by surprise. Never been on a bike that does that before..

Do not have a handle on the fuel consumption yet and need to note the difference between all slab at 55 in miles & time vs a 50 - 50 day like to day with less miles but same running time in low gears in the woods.

Maybe next week I need to get that side stand cut off and completely redone. My fix is just so I can ride for a few days and not always need a nearby tree, that makes photo ops difficult.

Must always use the 'drill' when starting and she seems like we can get along that way.

Low end grunt seems plenty strong even with me and the normal vibrations are not as sever as I would have thought on a single.

I don't think I'll sell her just yet.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #74
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Sounded like the initial shake down was pleasurable Gus! Yup the devil is in the details. Kinda like dancing with your new girl for the first time.

I had that experience yesterday too. But (Mike) 10Cup didn't give me the luxury of getting to know my new dance partner slowly...

I did learn about fuel consumption the hard way so that part is over. I will re-learn the intricacies of rim re-lacing by necessity in the next few days.

Getting to know your new best gal is fun.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #75
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,144
I think Gus is HOOKED now! Just like going to a whore house for the first time, the smile on his face is a stable fixture upon his face!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote