Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 03:54 AM   #901
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,280
dontcha just love it when the plan comes all together?
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #902
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,825
I started with a front 14T and a rear 44T set of sprockets. Then my order for a couple of different sprockets got messed up by me being stupid and working from memory.... At my age, FAIL ... and they sent wrong rear 44 for old 77 XT500.

So I was doing a 14T & a 46T which is great except when I have to play in traffic so I just put the 15T on to go with the 46T and will see if it is about the same as the stock 14T & 44T. I hope is is between the 14 - 46 and the 14 - 44

Anybody that understands that could be helpful at this point.

Also sorta installed the 'Sweet Checks" and going to see if it helps my fat ass ......... I just ain't young nuff to have fun while in pain anymore....

Just about warm nuff to go so I be gone for a while.....
Old 03-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #903
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Here Gus, this might help with gear questions.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #904
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,253
Gus you are lucky Red N Black didn't end up burned to a crisp.

BTW everyone, Gus was kind enough to copy and paste the BS thread while I was on sabbatical. Thanks Gus, you rock!

TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #905
DrLewall
The Human GPS

its abt time you log in..call me!!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #906
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie

BTW everyone, Gus was kind enough to copy and paste the BS thread while I was on sabbatical. Thanks Gus, you rock!

This may be the smoking gun evidence that you do indeed need to get a life.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #907
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

I had a life before and after the banishment, well I did until I read your post...just sayin
Old 03-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #908
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie
I had a life before and after the banishment, well I did until I read your post...just sayin
FWIW, I got me a new goat today!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #909
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

3.24.10 ride = FAIL !!!!!

I found a pretty dog today. Left it where it was. My Mama din raise no fools....
Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #910
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

3.24 ride = FAIL.....

Padding my post count.......

So pretty day, got the "Sweet Cheeks" on and put on the 15T front sprocket. That worked better. Things were going swimmingly until I started up the mountain after I found the pretty dog, and the neat John Deer Equipment that turned out to not be for sale. I had just been putting along, taking pictures, not much traffic, had thanked the road crew for saving my jacket and bungee cord.

The XT dies deader than a run over cockroach. WTF?????

Fire? Fuel? Why ???? My new acquaintance and his relatives watched, kibitzed and in general worried about the old man who was about to have a heart attack jumping up and down on the XT. I broke my big wooden pedal and rolled my ankle so the right foot has made me 'Hopalong Cassidy' again.... ::: sigh ::::

Was just about to give up and call Colleen to bring the truck when I got a hint of success. Three "Get her running and then she dies." later I finally had her going and headed for the house as I had no clear idea of what was wrong so I figured closer to home was better than farther into the woods. Blast off.......... One mile later = dead. Well, all the gas running on the road from the fuel line was a clue..... I fiddled with that for a while, did my cardio workout and was running again. Did some adjusting on the move and wiggling of fuel line and switch placements finding out the why and wherefore of the extra kill switches I had seemed to have developed.

Got to the house and sat on the porch for a while and watched Colleen work in the yard. I did not offer any advice from my rocker. Like I said, my Ma'ma din raise no fools. Back to the garage, fiddle, fiddle, adjust & kick. Test ride. Redo the "Sweet Cheeks" so I can remove the seat without undoing the "S-C" & other stuff and more test rides and adjustments....

"Sweet Cheeks" is a heavy duty split carrier for two plastic pop bottles filled with water, 2 liter size. It makes the narrow seats wider for a more conformable ride. It makes an amazing difference.

Did some hot starts and some flooded starts just to learn the drill.

I think it was fuel all along but ..... no clear cut signs so I will mess around close to home for an hour or three before I head into the Forrest solo again.

Need to get a good air filter on her and now it looks like I really need to fix the return pull throttle cable. I hate two cable systems. Hope I can repair it as I need to keep the costs down....

Redid the "S-C" again and now it is more better.

The link picture is of the dog and I really like the way it came out.

I also found a tourist this morning that did not run away screaming in fear when I approached and got him to take my picture........ I can now see why I was having such a hard time getting anyone to do it for me. Bawahahaha

Enjoy the pictures until you get bored with them.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #911
DrLewall
The Human GPS

I was gonna suggest that you fill them pop bottles..they work better that way..at least you got to ride..I drove the jeep over to Mossycreeks and monkied with a leaking left front tire..I think I fixed it, I think
Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #912
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,315
is the needle valve in your carb new Gus?

it might be leaky ( from the jarring of riding, OR kickstarting it) and leaking fuel and flooding that beast.

My dr350 will do the same, if I leave the fuel on, and kick a bunch of times without a start, it always dribbles fuel and floods itself.
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #913
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

I have to concur about the needle. My sons XR was doing that until I got a new one. It still is finicky to start but it does start and stay running now.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #914
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
I was gonna suggest that you fill them pop bottles..they work better that way..at least you got to ride..I drove the jeep over to Mossycreeks and monkied with a leaking left front tire..I think I fixed it, I think
Yeah, I have them full of water. I have been thinking about putting extra fuel in them.....

Will check the needle if I can do it without messing it all up so bad that I have to trailer it to MossyCreek.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #915
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon43
Yeah, I have them full of water. I have been thinking about putting extra fuel in them.....
if you wanna carry fuel, 10cup got a couple of the MSR fuel bottles and then he wrapped a piece of blue exercise foam matt (available at walmart) around them so that they fit into the sweetcheeks..the bottles are small in diameter and the foam fattens them up so that they fit..each bottle is almost a quart so that would give you almost half a gallon or close to 30+ more miles