Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #91
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon43
I'm tired, this ADV stuff wears out this old man.
boy howdy can I relate!!!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #92
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,821
Temp kick stand repair. I love the price...

The kick stand was FUBAR when I bought RednBlack and then the rig that was on there fell off on the ride and I did not go back to try to find it. It was worse than I do .....

So I did some 'no kick stand' rides and then due to weather and my Catholic conscience and that my Dad is looking down and shaking his head so I had to do a temp repair until we see if ZeCat has a spare that will work. Then I will need a pro welder to cut off the old and do a proper install on that part of the frame to make it anywhere near 'right'. It is a sloppy weld on a previous break. With my weight it needs to be so that the frame is not weakened.

So I did this as a temp solution .... he he he I fit good in the country.....

And I put it on upside down, the bend should be the other way to keep it from sticking out so far and hold the bike up straighter. But it is all pinned and it works and it is temp and it gives you guys something easy to rag on me about so you won't see the really bad stuff....
Old 11-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #93
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
I hear of lot of people using Rotella

Think I will buy that Rotella in the big jug at Wolly World next time. But I just bought enough for two more changes of Castrol 10W-40 motorcycle oil. So I will have to use up that first. Until now I been just using regular old Penzoil 10w-40, figuring oil is oil. But maybe there is a bit of difference.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #94
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,278
ive used that Rotella in my last few bikes with wet clutches, NO issues.

Id be careful with that Penzzoil Elvis, if its an " Energy COnserving" It will make those wet clutches silp.

and yeah, buy the gallon jug at walmart, thats a LOT of oil changes for a thumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70
Think I will buy that Rotella in the big jug at Wolly World next time. But I just bought enough for two more changes of Castrol 10W-40 motorcycle oil. So I will have to use up that first. Until now I been just using regular old Penzoil 10w-40, figuring oil is oil. But maybe there is a bit of difference.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #95
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon43
It is wet & cool this AM, I need to go work in the garage but I am procrastinating. (lazy)

I'm tired, this ADV stuff wears out this old man.
Looks like you scored a keeper! If you are thinking about setting up a flat tire kit, atv tank panniers are pretty cheap, sometimes I run another set in the back over my saddlebag racks. Here are some tractor supply horse saddlebags that work too.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/...le-bag-5046742

If you get to doing long rides I've been running one of these walmart waffle seat pads that really work good, and they're only $20.

http://roadmasterusa.com/product.php?p=RGSC100

I'll keep my eye out for some boots, I have some size 12 oneal's I seldom wear.

katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #96
Elvis70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake
ive used that Rotella in my last few bikes with wet clutches, NO issues.

Id be careful with that Penzzoil Elvis, if its an " Energy COnserving" It will make those wet clutches silp.

and yeah, buy the gallon jug at walmart, thats a LOT of oil changes for a thumper.
I have heard that, but never had the clutch slip one bit, and never seems to need adjusting.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Old 11-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #97
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,278
that pennzoil must not be an EC oil then.

the two on the left are the ones to avoid for bike use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70
I have heard that, but never had the clutch slip one bit, and never seems to need adjusting.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #98
Elvis70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake
that pennzoil must not be an EC oil then.

the two on the left are the ones to avoid for bike use.

No it isn't one of them, because it is 10W-40 and don't believe any EC oil would have such a high weight. I use 10w-30 in all my cars and never the 5w-30 they recommend. Just seems too damn thin to me. Especially since I tend to own my cars until they are pretty high mileage.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #99
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz
Looks like you scored a keeper! If you are thinking about setting up a flat tire kit, atv tank panniers are pretty cheap, sometimes I run another set in the back over my saddlebag racks. Here are some tractor supply horse saddlebags that work too.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/...le-bag-5046742

If you get to doing long rides I've been running one of these walmart waffle seat pads that really work good, and they're only $20.

http://roadmasterusa.com/product.php?p=RGSC100

The tank panniers are a no go on the XT500 and my XT250 and the DT125 unless you want to modify them. The gas cap sits off to the right side, so when its on the kick stand its straight up.

Gus I use ARC's from Rockymountainatv.com they've got some new ones now with an all terrain sole thats like a hiking boot, if I order a new pair thats the way I'm going. I'm not dragging my feet in the corners racing so I think the hiking sole pattern would be better.

you get over this way we need to go visit Wrights Welding, I bet in 10 minutes he could weld some flat stock to those pegs and make a wide peg out of the stock ones still on the bike for $20.

Just my .02 worth.

Are those Oneal Elements? I got an extra pair of them, I really disliked those cheap SOB's they would give me blisters on legs and ankles.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #100
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz
Looks like you scored a keeper!
:: snippy :::

Thanks for the links. I can wear 12's if they are wide enough and are deep through the instep, I am deformed that way... ;)
Old 11-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #101
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish

you get over this way we need to go visit Wrights Welding, I bet in 10 minutes he could weld some flat stock to those pegs and make a wide peg out of the stock ones still on the bike for $20.

Just my .02 worth.
That sounds like a plan.... Thanks Lets see how your schedule goes.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #102
Dragon43 OP
If you insist.

Another view of the K stand.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #103
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish

Are those Oneal Elements? I got an extra pair of them, I really disliked those cheap SOB's they would give me blisters on legs and ankles.
Probably elements, I wore em both days FCT07, since I started having to wear steel toes for work went to 13's. The top straps aren't long enough to go over my calves so use duct tape. Both my bikes have the "button".
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #104
Elvis70

I sold my elements

I bought some 09 elements brand new. Wore them once and sold them in the flea market on this site. Figured out how to make my Garne touting boots fit me and now I love them. I do need to quit dragging a boot in the corners though, they aint' made for that. Maybe I can when I get a front tire with some knobs.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #105
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,220
You already sold your new boots Elvis?!!! Didnt Zfish chime in and say those boots sucked when you ordered them?

MX boots "can" be a pain to break in. Back in the day I'd soak mine in the bathtub overnight then ride with them still damp the next day, worked pretty well. These days I just go straight to Alpine Stars and put them on and ride, they work and feel great.