User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Lobo50 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Honda TLR 250R ?

I bought a 1987 Honda TLR250R and am picking it up this Sat. Does anyone have any information on this bike. I know it was very rare in the U.S. This bike was imported from Japan to Peru to Arizona and now here? Bike is very clean with low miles. I know it is a monoshock and has a 6 speed trans.
Thanks for any information.
Lobo
Lobo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,409
The engine is based on the XR200,as used in the TLR200.As well as the bore increase the primary ratio was altered,and the gear ratios are different too...and I thought they were 5 speed,the TLR200 was 6 speed.The frame is basically TLR200,the forks maybe beefier,tank and seat slimmer,lighter hubs...etc.

It's what the TLR200 should be - I have ridden one,and the extra grunt and better ratios make it a far better bike to ride than the TLR200,which tends to stall,and needs to be revved in lower gears.The steel rim TLR200 Reflex sold in the US is not the same bike as the TLR200 trials bike sold in the rest of the world.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Lobo50 OP
Adventurer

Motu are you thinking of the S model or the R model. The TLR reflex 200 has the steel frame and has the XR based engine. This is a photo of the TLR 250r. It has a 6 speed trans along with 2 gas tanks. The tank you see and another under the seat. The air cleaner is by the steering head.

Lobo50 screwed with this post 10-09-2009 at 08:37 PM
Old 10-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #4
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,409
Ah yes,a photo is worth a thousand misconceptions.I'm thinking the TLR250,which is more suited to trials.The R monoshock bike will be heavier for sure.I've never seen one used for trials.....it will be interesting to see how it goes.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo50
Motu are you thinking of the S model or the R model. The TLR reflex 200 has the steel frame and has the XR based engine.
Welcome to the minefield of Honda fourstroke trials model designations!
Between the TLs, various TLR's and the full competition RTL's it can be very confusing. As noted the TLR250R was a Japanese market "Trials-ish" dualsport model more along the lines of a Kawi Super Sherpa rather then a competition trials machine. Interesting design though.

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,805
It is a very nifty scoot, though. Rare in the U.S., lots of fun to ride, much better suited for light-duty trials work than the Reflex. Enjoy it!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
Lobo50 OP
Adventurer

Brewtus thanks for the reply. A fun bike to ride. It is kind of like riding a mix of a Xl 250 and a TL 250. A very flat torque curve and the close ratio 6 speed make it a great trail bike. But like the older TL 250 it is heavy bugger.