Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #3856
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,893
Grab

Practice facility of the Carolina Hurricanes NHL team:

No NFL team within a couple hundred miles.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #3857
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,743
You mean the hartford whalers? LOL. Tag on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Practice facility of the Carolina Hurricanes NHL team:

No NFL team within a couple hundred miles.

2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #3858
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

New tag

A boat sitting on the ground. Not a trailer, but good, old Earth.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #3859
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleetho View Post
You mean the hartford whalers? LOL. Tag on!

Personal feeling: hockey in the south is stupid.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #3860
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
Personal feeling: hockey in the south is stupid.
+eleventy billion. Draw a line from Seattle to Denver to D.C. Hockey shall not be played South of that line.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #3861
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
- 1 (yes minus 1)

Been doing a lot of this lately but - I'll apologize in advance if I offend anyone with my next statement.

Hockey is about the only "professional" sport that I'll pay to watch in this country.

Can't stand American Football (excepting maybe some of the college teams). Baseball has become nothing more than who can use the most steroids. American Soccer is run like American Football - like a corporation without any real emotion or player skill being allowed into the game. American auto racing is downright boring. American horse racing is about as boring as American Auto Racing. And Golf is pretty much what I call a sport for geriatrics and people who don't want to get dirty.

Seriously - show me an American Professional Sport that isn't governed by how much money can be made. What ever happened to "for the love of the game"? Hockey is about the only sport we have left where that part is allowed.

Now across the pond - there they know sports. Give me a good Cricket match or Rugby (real pigskin football) game or a Polo match, or even european/south-american soccer.

This summer when I was teaching in Grenada I got to participate in a cricket match (as a guest player in an exhibition game). The Governor was also on the field so they took it easy but the West Indian cricket players are notorious for being out for blood (literally out for blood). Their matches get brutal with people leaving with broken bones, broken heads...real injuries.

And last time I was in Chile the bar I was in for the Soccer world cup got cleared out by a brawl. And in Guam I went to a bar with an Aussie friend for the Rugby world cup - probably 15 different nationalities and half as many languages being spoken in that one room. Definitely different than our idea of what professional sports is all about.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #3862
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
+eleventy billion. Draw a line from Seattle to Denver to D.C. Hockey shall not be played South of that line.

I thought DC was pushing it when they brought the Capitals there. I'd say your west and central points are fine, but I'd go to Philly/NYC or maybe even Boston on the east.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #3863
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
- 1 (yes minus 1)

Been doing a lot of this lately but - I'll apologize in advance if I offend anyone with my next statement.

Hockey is about the only "professional" sport that I'll pay to watch in this country.
I'll go further than that. I refuse to watch any sport that either:

1) Has assigned seating for spectators
or
2) has judges
or both.

But, regarding hockey - I don't want to go to Minneapolis to get Carolina barbecue, I don't want to see NASCAR in New Hampshire. I like local/regional things. Homoginization sucks. Hockey belongs where they can grow their own ice outdoors.

The only sports I've paid to spectate at in the last 20 years have all been motorcycle related. I have sat in assigned seating for the Atlanta SX a few times, but not recently.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #3864
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:
I don't want to see NASCAR in New Hampshire. I like local/regional things.
New Hampshire has a world class NASCAR track

There happens to be a mighty fine Motorcycle race going on right now in south america. Been watching highlights. My wife is trying to get a spot on one of the teams as an onsite massage therapist all traveling out in the desert and stuff - I'm like hell yah...do it if you can. I might not be the kind of motorcyclist who could ever race the Dakar but it would sure be cool to tag along.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #3865
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

So the new tag is a boat sitting on the ground...does it have to be a floatable boat? I've got a particularly evil RHI sitting upstairs in the shed that is no longer (I) of the (RH)...paid $600 for this thing and the first time I took it out on the water the seams leaked, it sank, and I stood out in the water with a paddle over my head waving to my wife who was on shore with the truck mortified while at the same time laughing at my predicament.

You know you are with the right woman when she can make your pain and humiliation not feel so bad My wife comes from a competing yacht racing family. And here I was taking "our" first boat, a boat that I convinced her was worth buying, out into the water only to have it sink underneath my feet on first lauch.

I felt six inches tall that day, like a total chump. Yet somehow she made me feel like the failure to float didn't matter.

I used an exacto knife to cut all the usable parts out of that lemon and store them in the rafters of the shed in case I ever found a use for that wasted money...so can I set it up and show you the "hull" of my boat...on the ground of course cause it'll never hit the water?

Old 01-06-2012, 03:43 AM   #3866
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
New Hampshire has a world class NASCAR track

There happens to be a mighty fine Motorcycle race going on right now in south america. Been watching highlights. My wife is trying to get a spot on one of the teams as an onsite massage therapist all traveling out in the desert and stuff - I'm like hell yah...do it if you can. I might not be the kind of motorcyclist who could ever race the Dakar but it would sure be cool to tag along.
Re: NASCAR - that was my point. NASCAR is a southern US thing, hockey is a cold weather climate thing. At least to me.

I'd love to do the Dakar thing in some form or fashion. Never really thought about it seriously due to everything involved. Same with Baja. I'm far, FAR past the point where I could ever consider competing, but I'd love to see it firsthand. TV highlights can't convey much of what's going on.

Have you seen Dust To Glory?

Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #3867
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So the new tag is a boat sitting on the ground...does it have to be a floatable boat? I've got a particularly evil RHI sitting upstairs in the shed that is no longer (I) of the (RH)...paid $600 for this thing and the first time I took it out on the water the seams leaked, it sank, and I stood out in the water with a paddle over my head waving to my wife who was on shore with the truck mortified while at the same time laughing at my predicament.

You know you are with the right woman when she can make your pain and humiliation not feel so bad My wife comes from a competing yacht racing family. And here I was taking "our" first boat, a boat that I convinced her was worth buying, out into the water only to have it sink underneath my feet on first lauch.

I felt six inches tall that day, like a total chump. Yet somehow she made me feel like the failure to float didn't matter.

I used an exacto knife to cut all the usable parts out of that lemon and store them in the rafters of the shed in case I ever found a use for that wasted money...so can I set it up and show you the "hull" of my boat...on the ground of course cause it'll never hit the water?
100% absolutely. I think by definition, a boat sitting on the ground HAS to have something wrong with it.

And it sounds like you've got a definite keeper. Not necessarily the boat.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #3868
4jranch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Grab.
Attached Images

4jranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #3869
4jranch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Display helicopter (a real one not a toy).
Attached Images

4jranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #3870
RC Pilot
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jranch View Post
Display helicopter (a real one not a toy).
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!