Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
mazNORCAL OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
What do you carry on your body when you ride?

I am going to get some custom gear made for me soon and have been thinking about pockets on the jacket. I am probably not going to go for the the full 3/4 length jacket with four pockets as I am mainly a touring rider but hope to start some gravel/dirt road soon.

I currently only carry two things on my body when I ride....my wallet and cell phone (in a case). My logic is....they will be able to identify the body and if not conscious, then most likely I will be detached from my bike and can hopefully pull my phone out for help.

There is debate about having objects on your body in a get off, so any experiences, feedback, opinions on this would be helpful, but also I think pragmatic thinking about both touring and adventure riding and what folks carry on them personally would be beneficial to the forum. Also, where you think they should be positioned on the body? For example, I am considering a SPOT device and upper chest or top of the shoulder might be a good spot for access and tracking function while riding. Should a cell phone be up on the chest (on top of armor possibly) rather than the belly? I don't carry extra keys in my pocikets simply because in a get off I don't need three inches of metal in my spleen. Would a phone survive a face plant anyway?

We can leave the what you carry on the bike content out as there are other threads that cover that well enough (please).

Thanks.
mazNORCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazNORCAL View Post
I am going to get some custom gear made for me soon and have been thinking about pockets on the jacket. I am probably not going to go for the the full 3/4 length jacket with four pockets as I am mainly a touring rider but hope to start some gravel/dirt road soon.

I currently only carry two things on my body when I ride....my wallet and cell phone (in a case). My logic is....they will be able to identify the body and if not conscious, then most likely I will be detached from my bike and can hopefully pull my phone out for help.

There is debate about having objects on your body in a get off, so any experiences, feedback, opinions on this would be helpful, but also I think pragmatic thinking about both touring and adventure riding and what folks carry on them personally would be beneficial to the forum. Also, where you think they should be positioned on the body? For example, I am considering a SPOT device and upper chest or top of the shoulder might be a good spot for access and tracking function while riding. Should a cell phone be up on the chest (on top of armor possibly) rather than the belly? I don't carry extra keys in my pocikets simply because in a get off I don't need three inches of metal in my spleen. Would a phone survive a face plant anyway?

We can leave the what you carry on the bike content out as there are other threads that cover that well enough (please).

Thanks.
Wallet, cell phone, earbuds. Everything else, I try to keep in the topcase.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Same as you and maybe a few soft things such as glove liners or rain overgloves.Carry rain liner jacket in the large bum pocket of my Olympia Xmoto jacket.
Tiny flashlight with stobe capability and small loud whistle also not a bad idea for those just in case situations when you may not be readily visible to others(after a crash)
I always(except for short in town trips)wear a Camelbak hydration pack.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 677
Phone, wallet, pocket knife, pistol.

Of them all, the pistol concerns me the most. Landing on that strong-side would be pretty poor for my hip... but I'm not leaving it on the bike, etc. I feel better when using the smaller pocket carry, that is thigh'ed enough that its impact would be bruising instead of plastic + metal + hipbone. I used to carry SOB, but heard some horror stories about people that fell and landed flat and did spinal damage. And in my one crash, I hit hard enough strong side (was out of state, so not carrying) that the impact of ground + elbow broke my ribs.

Everything is a roll of the dice. I'd be much more concerned about placing something hard (your spot, for instance) over something hard (your chest / ribs, for instance) than I would about putting it in your front coat pockets (impacts your gut, yes, but at least that squishes and dissipates force instead of breaking stuff). Knocks your wind, sure, but you're crashing, and if you're hitting hard enough to do internal damage from that impact you are probably boned in a bad way no matter where it is.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
Phone, wallet, pocket knife
This.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,487
Nothing on me.. all in the tankbag. I've never used any pockets in any jacket I've ever owner.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
TheProphet
Zen Rider

Oddometer: 280
Thumb

Wallet. That's it. Oh yeah, and my small wallet that contains only the Motorcycle Registration and Insurance Card in my back pocket.

Cell phone goes in my windshield bag, tools and other stuff are in the saddlebags.

Should a "get-off" ever occur, I don't want anything on me that could possible become imbedded in... me.
TheProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Phone, wallet, keys (for the house ect) earbuds, small brakedisc lock, and a super minimalistic toolkit containing a leatherman, flashlight, turboligter, some wire, and thats about it.

Sometimes a small bottle for oiling the chain, and spare battery for hekmletcam and phone.

Sounds like much, but packs small, and I've needed just about everything, so wont leave home without it.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
TebKLR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Carrying stuff

..on my person......

I use 'Stich riding gear, so there are a ton of pockets available...

Jeans pockets - wallet, house keys, change. Oh yeah...forgot the pocket knife!
Rt breast pocket - cell phone and a pack of smokes
Rt lower pocket -mostly nothing other than a pistol (if I'm legal for concealed carry)
Other pockets - receipts and other detritus
TebKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
mazNORCAL OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Interesting read so far.

I think the flashlight and pocket knife are good ideas. I usually carry my flashlight on the bike, but its a catch-22....you walk up to a dark bike on a dark night and you need light.....to find the flashlight buried in your bag

I don't carry a knife/multitool on me or in my bags and really everyone should carry one. Cutting through entanglements, cutting off clothes, or just a piece of apple, it is useful.

A whistle is also a good idea , if you get off in the woods even with a phone to police, getting found by them can lose minutes of time and in trauma situations, time is critical. However, this is probably why I don't do a lot of rides by yourself in desolate areas. At least my wife will have closure and not have to wait for somebody to stumble onto me years later.

As for some of the gear folks carry.....I guess you don't have bags on your bike. I keep my bags stocked with locks, straps, nets, tools, pumps, etc. so when I mount up, they are there ready to go with me. Saves a lot of drama in the morning trying to load up and ride out without too much fuss.

I acknowledge the input on hard objects on the body. I think that has to be thought out. The chance of a get-off and face planting is probably far higher than the utility of using a cellphone, flashlight, or a firearm in a typical riding career. Any impact where you may need or feel justified in using those items afterwards.....you probably won't be able to anyway.....all a game of chance I guess.
mazNORCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,978
In my jacket: hydration bladder (sometimes) and camera (rarely, but when I do it's usually on the lower front left pocket). Maybe my registration and insurance papers, in a small ziplock baggie in one of the upper chest pockets, if I'm on a bike with no storage. Maybe a map in an inside pocket. GPS fits in a chest pocket when I'm off the bike unless I'm using a locking mount.

Pants: garage door goes in the left cargo pocket, and wallet and phone go in the right cargo pocket. When I'm off the bike, bike keys go in with the garage door opener. House has an electronic combo lock, so I never have any keys on me when riding.

I carry a pump or CO2 and tire plug kit on the bike (unless I'm running mousses ), and usually a second pair of gloves, but little else.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Sandals, shorts with wallet in pocket, T-shirt, shortie helmet.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,771
wallet, spot (on the sleeve), spare reading glasses (old fart)

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #14
blackripley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Phone, wallet, pocket knife or 2, & cash
blackripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
SheRidesABeemer
Go Big or Go Home.