User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
rivercreep OP
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Thor Boots...Q.C. issues?

Looking into getting yet another replacement set of strap/buckles for my Thor 50/50 Boots and as I've noticed they're the same buckles/straps used on their Quadrant series, I was wondering if anyone else here has been having the same problem as I am with the rubber straps breaking where the locking ridges are.
My first pair of boots lasted almost 2 yrs before I needed to replace parts. When I did, the newer replacement straps broke within 2 months.
This second pair of boots that look almost new, have had their straps break within a 2 month period.
Looks to me as if the products plastic/rubber ratio has changed to a more brittle composite thats prone to failure.

I post this here due to having not heard back fom Thor for almost a week now, so that others may also be aware of potential issues with the pruduct.
I'll replace these straps on my dime but, they break again, they're (the boots) going into the trash despite looking almost new. (I can't imagine what would happen if I were tumbling down the road since they are breaking upon fastening the damn buckles)
Anyone else experience any problems?

Ps. I don't consider telling what's going on factually with a product to be "bashing" either so...don't go there.
Thor has had a week to respond, they have not so, here I am.

I'm also wondering if any of you guys might be aware of replacement buckles that will fit these boots, that aren't made by Thor. (love the boots but, the buckles SUCK!)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
rivercreep OP
Banned

No one else has issues...Hmmmn?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,101
I have the Quadrant boots... only issue i've had with the buckles is after 3 years of abuse.

Overall they're good boots for the price IMO.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
rivercreep OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
I have the Quadrant boots... only issue i've had with the buckles is after 3 years of abuse.

Overall they're good boots for the price IMO.
Thanks for the input.
Yeah, my first pair was great! and the buckles lasted for almost 2 yrs. before I had to start replacing them.
Then I noticed that these new buckles didn't hold up as well and finally the old boots wore out so, I got another pair.
Now it seems, the new boots have a slightly different construction (judging from the foot-bed interior) and the new straps don't hold up for shit.They break at the serrated/locking area.

I'd give anything to find some N.O.S. replacement straps/buckles that aren't made out of what appears to be, a less flexible rubber/plastic composition. (the old straps/buckles lasted)

As you replace the old buckles, please let us/me know how they hold up.
I ride daily as a commuter so, my boots see lots of use but, I.M.H.O. straps/buckles should still last more than 2 months.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
I have had two straps break on my 50/50s. One was my fault one just broke when tightening it. The replacements have been hard to get. Otherwise the boots have proven decent over 4000 miles.
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
rivercreep OP
Banned

Guys who have had problems....please let Thor know about it here.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/ThorMXOfficial

I've already started a thread there and at first, they sorta blew me off. (and still haven't responded to my e-mail)
They need to be made aware that this could be a safety issue by more than just one person.
Thanks!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,101
When I had an issue with boots and knee guards, an email to them was replied to with a request for my address... had parts the next day.

Certainly took care of me well.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
rivercreep OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
When I had an issue with boots and knee guards, an email to them was replied to with a request for my address... had parts the next day.

Certainly took care of me well.
I sure wish I could say that.
Always liked their products but, I'm in no way happy with them right now.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
pavlos79
Stuck in an Island

Oddometer: 77
Hi!
I have the Thor Quadrant Mx boots and I am having another kind of issue..
None has broke but the straps are very hard to lock to the buckles, and they unlock all the time during riding..
It is a nightmare..I have to stop and re lock them at least 20 times..
I have them four years now, but they did it from the first day..
I have tried various adjustments, tight, loose, but they always come open..
Do you know where can one buy a replacement kit?Buckles and straps.
But I would be more interested in buying a non Thor replacement kit, as you said.
If you find out something that can fit, please let me know!
pavlos79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
xcuzzi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I've had two break also

My boots are maybe a year old and I had a strap break for no apparent reason. I found replacements online for $3. The shipping was $6 so I bought two straps (my boots use the short and medium length).

Another strap broke right in the middle of my trip to Death Valley. These boots do not get that much use/abuse so I was kinda disappointed. I am hoping the replacements are improved but they look no different. I hope for a different material. I don't think a strap breaking while tightening is abuse. From my experience with these boots if you buckle them that tight your feet will go numb!

I really like the boot and wear them on trips during and after riding. With limited cargo space it's kinda hard to justify two pairs of shoes. I bring a pair of flip flops along also.

I will go to the above mentioned website and register a comment. Good Luck!
xcuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
NaeKid
Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
No one else has issues...Hmmmn?
Just found this thread.

As I was takin' my boots off after my ride today I noticed that one buckle was snapped, just like you described. I have had my boots for about 1 1/2 seasons of riding, thought they were great till now ...

I found that motorcycle superstore carries the buckles ( as of this writing, $4 per strap / buckle ) ... if this is an issue is that is becomming more known, I would hope that Thor would come out with a better material for use in the straps ... maybe a cable-strap would be a better choice (kind of like the old downhill ski-boots).

Anyway, I'll get straps on order for my boots as I need to ride with them instead of wearing running-shoes.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
I've worn Thor Quadrant MX boots since 2005 and haven't had a single problem. They took awhile to break in, but I love them. Only potential 'issue' I have had is when I first put them on, sometimes, the second strap from the bottom doubles back on itself and presses hard against the top of the leather above my foot. I straighten the strap out and have no other problems. I can see where, if you let the strap double back and wear the boots like that, the strap could break where it is doubled-back on itself.

I'd definitely by another pair. For me, good quality, good price, long life.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
Water9119dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Replacement straps supply is getting low,

I had a size 2 strap break on my 50 50 boot.
Seem Thor is discontinuing the style of straps so is hard to find the right size and colour to match.
I bought size #4 strap and cut them to length to match the size #2 strap. I also bought extra as spares since the boots are still fairly new. Get them while you can.
Water9119dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:11 AM   #14
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
My 50/50 boot buckle broke after 4 years of hard use. I will see how my new ones compare. One thing I noticed is the box toe does not appear as strong.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
I could not find straps to replace my broken ones and used a couple of screws and an aluminum strap to fix them. Tjis has lasted several thousand miles.
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote