User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
TorontoBrit OP
TorontoBrit

Oddometer: 304
Charging with no ac outlet???

So I have to figure out how to trickle charge my bike over the winter now I am living in a condo. There are no electrical outlets anywhere in my underground parking garage. One person mentioned a solar charger, but my research indicates the light from flourescents won't be enough to charge anything.

Is there a battery pack I can charge in my condo then plug my trickle charger into in the garage??? Or is my only alternative to disconnect the battery, or pull a fuse for the winter. My commute is less than 10 kms so I have just had to replace my battery, for an Oddysey, thanks to running it flat by not riding far enough..... I would like to occasionally trickle charge the bike through out the year too.

Yes I could ride further to charge the battery, but when you live downtown, I could ride for two hours and never leave the city(one hour out, one hour back)....kinda sucks!!!!

TorontoBrit screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 09:32 AM
TorontoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,378
Your best bet might be to disconnect and pull the battery to move it to a place where can put a maintainer on it for the winter.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,026
If you're going to ride it to work over the winter, setup a place to charge it there?

If not, pull the battery and charge it in your condo.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 685
something like this:

Maybe there's a way to tap into fluorescent tube types as well.
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
TorontoBrit OP
TorontoBrit

I park on the street for work, free parking for motorcycles, so no outlets downtown in the Financial District, so no opportunity while working to charge it. All the lighting in the underground is cage enclosed flourescents, so no way to add an outlet to the light fixture.

Pulling the battery requires lifting the gas tank every time so not really a feasible option to be doing all the time as the fuel hoses get yanked around. My charger is also the BMW plug into the DIN port(?) accesory socket on the bike type.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,248
buy a second battery and one battery tender like device

one battery in the bike

one in the apt, charging

rotate as desired
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 614
i use Odyssey's on 4 different pwc's and they also have directions on how to bring one back from a total discharge AKA flat

disconnecting would be fine ( may not even be necessary if there is no parasitic load ) or starting it every once in a while would be good for the bike and battery
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
ghostrider66
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
What about plugging your battery charger into a portable battery pack - the kind that you charge and use for boosting car batteries, these usually have a 120 volt outlet on them. Not sure how long it would last with the battery charger plugged into it though
ghostrider66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
TorontoBrit OP
TorontoBrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider66 View Post
What about plugging your battery charger into a portable battery pack - the kind that you charge and use for boosting car batteries, these usually have a 120 volt outlet on them. Not sure how long it would last with the battery charger plugged into it though
That is what I am trying to find info on. If anyone has any experience using one to power a charger:

Something like this. Any advice on Power, amps, volts.....etc for an electrical dimwit????
Old 09-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Why using a charger if you can simply plug the pack on the bike's battery?!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
ghostrider66
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Why using a charger if you can simply plug the pack on the bike's battery?!
He is looking to keep the battery at full charge through a battery tender - not to boost a dead battery
ghostrider66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
He is looking to keep the battery at full charge through a battery tender - not to boost a dead battery
Old 09-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
The way I see it, you have 2 choices.

Pull your battery and take it into your apartment to charge

Or warm your bike up for a few minutes before you ride, and ride more regularly/further

Done
Old 09-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #14
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Plug the battery/booster pack (of greater capacity) onto the bike's battery (smaller capacity) each night, charge the battery/booster pack every week (more or less, do your own testing). Sometimes these packs even have a button for slow charging.

Communicating vessels.

Using a 120v AC charger plugged into a 12v DC booster pack through a 12vDC/120vAC converter to output 12v DC to a 12v DC bike battery sounds conter-productive to me.

SgtDuster screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 06:53 AM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDano View Post
Is it a problem with ongoing drain or was it just the one battery that toasted? I ask because my DRZ would suck a battery in month.
DRZs are notorious for this. They have a constant drain due to the electronic dashboard, but a relatively small battery like a dirt bike. There is a conversion to fit a larger street bike sized battery but that limits the rear tire width you can run as the larger battery extends back more into the rear fender area and can be struck by an aftermarket tire at full suspension travel.

I think what OP is saying is he'd rather use his charger port which is a low amperage line, since to reach the battery itself is quite an operation on that bike. If that is the case it would be reasonable for him to be concerned with hooking up the full amperage of the portable power pack to the low amperage line. If in fact his battery was low, there could be quite an initial surge.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote