User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #61
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Heat Controller

I finally go the heat controller posted!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post11220457
65 Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #62
12voltclothing
Banned

Oddometer: 130
Warm & Safe has a lifetime warranty on wiring with Liners,
The heat trollers have a 3 year warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Flathead
What? You need to REALLY advertise this fact!! I did a LOT of reaserch before starting this project, and NEVER found this fact about your product.

12voltclothing screwed with this post 01-17-2010 at 08:47 AM
12voltclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #63
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12voltclothing
Warm & Safe has a lifetime warranty on wiring with Liners, Gloves,Heated pants, Socks
Good to know.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #64
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Test Ride

With everything finally complete, the weather got down cold enough for an initial trial run yesterday morning. It only got down to 45, but as cold natured as i am, that's enough. On my 45 mile morning commute, I rode far enough to get a slight chill, and feel the cold soaking thru my gloves. My daily commuter has ape hangers so this didn't take long. I wanted to get a little cool to give my gear as good a test as possible for the temp that I had to work with. After a few miles, I started turning up the heat, and it was wonderful!!! Everything warmed up very nicley, and QUICK!. After I got warmed back up, I made the rest of the ride with the jacket control just under half and the gloves around 1/4. I had no hot or cold spots, but I didn't heed the advise that I was given along the way in this thread that said "Put extra in the thumbs". My thumbs never felt the cold, but I never really felt the heat in them either. All in all I think it'll be ok though.

Before this ride, I considered heated gear a luxury, I now consider it a nessessity!
Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #65
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12voltclothing
Warm & Safe has a lifetime warranty on wiring with Liners, Gloves,Heated pants, Socks
I'm going to be buying they first of my heated gear this year.

Schreckendgust Field
Florence, MT

Kinsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #66
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 394
Thank you

I was inspired. Between you and ken phenix, I made my own gloves. Finally finished them and got them right Christmas night. A little run today and I had warm comfortable hands in 39 degree weather (according to a church sign I passed).

Used the pc fan controller as suggested in your controller thread and mounted it in a Radio Shack box until I can get a waterproof pelican box. Everything is stashed in my tank bag/control center which also holds my motocomm, gps, and mp3 player. Nice and warm with temp control and expansion capacity. pic on the bike:

theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:35 AM   #67
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great Job!!

Congrats

They look great.

I made a 3 hour ride in 24 degrees the other day, and all worked well, except I think I need to redesign my gloves to something a little more like what you and Ken have. Mine don't have quite enough in the fingers.

65 Flathead screwed with this post 01-04-2010 at 04:38 PM
Old 01-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #68
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by theWolfTamer
I was inspired. Between you and ken phenix, I made my own gloves. Finally finished them and got them right Christmas night. A little run today and I had warm comfortable hands in 39 degree weather (according to a church sign I passed).

Used the pc fan controller as suggested in your controller thread and mounted it in a Radio Shack box until I can get a waterproof pelican box. Everything is stashed in my tank bag/control center which also holds my motocomm, gps, and mp3 player. Nice and warm with temp control and expansion capacity. pic on the bike:
What model fan controller are you using?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:48 AM   #69
afmracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
I'll take a sz. 44 jacket please. Will your jacket interface with Gerbing controllers and the like?

Oh and no joke, let me know what you are asking, as I'm sure it's a lot cheaper then Gerbings, Warm n' Safe, etc.
afmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #70
peanut_gallery
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Awesome job 65 flathead!! I am SO copying this, especially the gloves, anything below 45 and my fingers start hurting and the heated grips just don't cut it. I haven't been cold in my jacket or pants yet but will probably just do it anyways.

There is a natural human reluctance to abandon ones entire life and start over somewhere else - Jeff Lindsay
peanut_gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #71
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmracer
I'll take a sz. 44 jacket please. Will your jacket interface with Gerbing controllers and the like?

Oh and no joke, let me know what you are asking, as I'm sure it's a lot cheaper then Gerbings, Warm n' Safe, etc.
The hell wyth that!! The jacket took me a full weekend to build. That's why I posted the DIY pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut_gallery
Awesome job 65 flathead!! I am SO copying this, especially the gloves, anything below 45 and my fingers start hurting and the heated grips just don't cut it. I haven't been cold in my jacket or pants yet but will probably just do it anyways.
Look more at Ken's golve design. My jacket and controller work great, but I need a little moe heat in the fingers on the gloves. It's a pain to thead the wire throuh the thinsulate, probably easier to build a liner.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #72
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
What model fan controller are you using?
I went with the Lamptron FC-2. It's a bit bulky in that damned Radio Shack box but I plan to put it in a pelican case at some point.

I took the sides and the front off so it would fit in the box. I just finished the heated pants. So far everything is working well. Went for a ride Sunday in about 30 degree weather and was very comfortable. Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #73
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
I went with the Lamptron FC-2. It's a bit bulky in that damned Radio Shack box but I plan to put it in a pelican case at some point.

I took the sides and the front off so it would fit in the box. I just finished the heated pants. So far everything is working well. Went for a ride Sunday in about 30 degree weather and was very comfortable. Thanks for the tips.
since you're only running gloves, then you could have went for the 4 channel, 3.5" controller (good up to 20W), maybe that would have helped with the size issue.

They used to make a 100w per channel unit in 3.5", wonder why I can't find those anymore. Woulda been perfect
Old 01-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #74
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
since you're only running gloves, then you could have went for the 4 channel, 3.5" controller (good up to 20W), maybe that would have helped with the size issue.

They used to make a 100w per channel unit in 3.5", wonder why I can't find those anymore. Woulda been perfect
I looked for a 3.5 with no luck either. I added heated pants to the mix, which I was thinking about when I did the gloves. That's why I went ahead and got the fc-2 even though I knew it would be big.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #75
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
I looked for a 3.5 with no luck either. I added heated pants to the mix, which I was thinking about when I did the gloves. That's why I went ahead and got the fc-2 even though I knew it would be big.
how long has it been in use, curious to know if it holds up or not.