Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #91
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by theWolfTamer
I was inspired. Between you and ken phenix, I made my own gloves. Finally finished them and got them right Christmas night. A little run today and I had warm comfortable hands in 39 degree weather (according to a church sign I passed).

HAHAHA!
Are we on the same page here or what! I found this pic of my earlier Home Depot gloves with matching yellow shrink tube on the nichrome.

Quote:
. . . . I soldered 16 gauge automotive wire around the nichrome (since it doesn't solder well) and used red heat shrink to keep everything snug before the mono audio jack.
BTW: I had trouble soldering directly to the nichrome too so I used unshielded crimp connectors - crimped the crap out the wire and then filled the connector with solder. Then I either covered the connector with shrink tube or painted it with liquid electrical tape.

IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #92
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer: 1,073
Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. I used a fleece jacket, and tried to sew the wire on it, more trouble than I thought. I cut up some patches and ironed them on instead. Much easier and faster.

Lesson learned: do not wear short sleeve shirts under these wires. HOT!!!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #93
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green427

Nice work!
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #94
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 392
Finished More stuff for this season!

I've added heated pants and a heated pullover fleece to the collection!

Just finished this one, I've still got to do the final wiring and sew a t-shirt over the wires.

I used the single stranded teflon wire I bought last year instead of the multi-stranded. The single stranded is hotter and burned the gloves so I had to use nichrome wire for those. The single strand didn't burn the thermals or fleece! Turns out, it puts out more heat than the multi stranded wire, something like 45% more.

Also ordered 2 of the pwm controllers and am scrapping the fan controller since I couldn't find the right container for it.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life

theWolfTamer screwed with this post 10-22-2010 at 11:46 PM
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #95
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Nice! I wanna wire up some more gear even though all my stuff still works!
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

Old 10-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #96
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
glad its working out, I'd be curious to know if it would sustain higher loads, like maybe a heated jacket.
The answer is no! I tried my new heated pants and it wouldn't work. In fact, I fried the thing when I inadvertently hooked the wires up backwards. It still worked, but some of the channels didn't. In desperation, I went to MicroCenter and bought a Rheobus Extreme @ 30w per channel. Works great for the gloves, but it won't power the pants either. This year I ended up ordering 2 dc motor controllers and making a jacket liner so I have a full set of gear now. Not what I was thinking when I started this project last year. I guess I should go all out and make heated socks too!

All in all, I was happy with the fan controller(s) for the gloves but when I wanted to add more stuff, they just weren't suitable. At the size it really isn't a viable solution for just gloves.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #97
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Quote:
The answer is no! I tried my new heated pants and it wouldn't work. . . . . I guess I should go all out and make heated socks too!

All in all, I was happy with the fan controller(s) for the gloves but when I wanted to add more stuff, they just weren't suitable. At the size it really isn't a viable solution for just gloves.
No heated pants here. With insulated mc pants and army surplus poly thermals my legs don't seem to get cold. My feet would get cold in the 20's and I had difficulty designing socks, making them flexible / washable, etc. My answer was 16w 26ga nichrome laden insoles that put most of the heat on top of my toes. They work very well.

I really enjoy making my heated gear - economical and rewarding. However, I had to defer to the purpose built Heat-Trollers. At $50 to $70 per knob, they're hard to beat.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

Old 10-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #98
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Ken, I forgot to ask, were did you get your heat shrink? I had to get mine at home depot and it was a lot of money for a little bit of heat shrink! One pack @ $2 or $3 was enough to just cover the 4.5 ft of wire I used in my gloves. That is for one glove only.

For my other stuff, I used the single strand teflon and tested it on an old pc power supply to make sure it didn't singe the materials like it did with the gloves.

I probably should have just gone the commercial controller route because by the time I get done with my controller vers 3.0, I could have bought Gerbring controllers and still had enough money left over for a day long ride! Unfortunately for my wallet, I'm enjoying the challenge too much to give in and go for the commercial controller!

I might end up with the heated foot liners like yours too, gotta see how my boots do in the cold with wool socks.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #99
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Quote:
Ken, I forgot to ask, were did you get your heat shrink? I had to get mine at home depot and it was a lot of money for a little bit of heat shrink! One pack @ $2 or $3 was enough to just cover the 4.5 ft of wire I used in my gloves. That is for one glove only.
Computer and electronics shops stock it in 4ft lengths for around $2 a stick which can easily elongate to cover 6ft of wire. Just put one end in a vise or clamp and pull gently while you're shrinking.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Clear-Heat-.../dp/B0002BA46M

Quote:
I might end up with the heated foot liners like yours too, gotta see how my boots do in the cold with wool socks.
IMHO my insoles are AWESOME! I highly recommend them. I used the original insoles that came in my boots to make the foot heaters. I just use gellin' insoles the rest of the year. One winter I got caught in freezing rain for 300 miles in old boots that leaked. My feet got soaked but did not get cold.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

Old 10-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #100
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Quote:
Harbor Freight. They have a wide range of tubing to choose from. $3 for 4.5 feet of tubing sounds about right, though.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #101
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Quote:

Just finished this one, I've still got to do the final wiring and sew a t-shirt over the wires.

I used the single stranded teflon wire I bought last year instead of the multi-stranded. The single stranded is hotter and burned the gloves so I had to use nichrome wire for those. The single strand didn't burn the thermals or fleece! Turns out, it puts out more heat than the multi stranded wire, something like 45% more.
Looks great WolfTamer! How easy is the pull-over design to get on and off? I'm tempted to try that with my army surplus thermal top. I would just stitch the wires to the outside though so I could check for breaks in the wire more easily. Last time I sewed the wires between two t-shirts which made maintenance a pain. Here is my repair to the arms. I stitched the wires in place with a large needle and kite string.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX screwed with this post 10-28-2010 at 11:54 AM
Old 10-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #102
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Ken, I haven't put it on yet. Still waiting on the controllers! I ordered my first ones from ebay but they didn't perform as the specs said they should. I could barely feel heat from them for my gloves so I just boxed 'em up and sent 'em back. Gonna try again with a higher output controller.

Once I get the controllers, I can use the stitch witchery to "sew" the shirt to the fleece over the wires. I'm not going bother to sew the wires to the fleece. Want to wait to see if the 30 ft of single stranded teflon wire will produce enough heat or if I need to add more feet in the front.

I can't decide which is more fun, making the heated gear or making the controllers. Both is a challenge! I'm even going to make a vest for my "motohubby". (If he were the real deal, I'd do the full monty!) Too bad I can't make a little extra cash doing this, I'm going to have LOTs of wire leftover.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #103
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,307
it's interesting no one has taken this info and used it to make a heated seat or there own heated grips. good thread though
Old 10-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #104
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

I've actually thought about grip heaters since I have so much wire left over. Not the heated seat though, it doesn't get cold enough were I live to justify one.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:08 AM   #105
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter
it's interesting no one has taken this info and used it to make a heated seat or there own heated grips. good thread though
Not worth making your own heated grips, since the basic kits available are only $20, and are ready to install.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to make a heated seat, especially since only a small part of your body is in contact with the seat...and everything on my body is cold except my ass.

Goldwings have heated seats, however, their seats are as big as a lazyboy chair.