Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #106
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green427
Not worth making your own heated grips, since the basic kits available are only $20, and are ready to install.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to make a heated seat, especially since only a small part of your body is in contact with the seat...and everything on my body is cold except my ass.

Goldwings have heated seats, however, their seats are as big as a lazyboy chair.
Actually having done an SS1000 on a borrowed BMW K1300GT, I gotta say the heated seat was kind of nice. You gotta think of its a use a bit different too. Usually if you are already outfitted with all the heated gear on a normal cold day, you don't need the heated seat, but if you are out riding on a day maybe late in the fall when the days are warm, but the nights get chilly and forgot to bring some warm gear, those built in heated grips and heated seat can be kind of nice to switch on and give you some heat.

On that SS1000 trip, I was on my way back and the sun was setting. I had been dressed pretty cool since it had been warm, but the sun setting saw the temp dropping fast. I could have stopped and put on some more layers, but using the heated seat and grips, I was able to ride another hour or two staying comfortable before stopping and putting on more layers.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #107
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
So what's the consensus on the best wire to use? I originally read 30 ga. multi-strand hook up wire, then I read about a teflon coated wire, then the 26 ga. nichrome?
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #108
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Actually having done an SS1000 on a borrowed BMW K1300GT, I gotta say the heated seat was kind of nice. You gotta think of its a use a bit different too. Usually if you are already outfitted with all the heated gear on a normal cold day, you don't need the heated seat, but if you are out riding on a day maybe late in the fall when the days are warm, but the nights get chilly and forgot to bring some warm gear, those built in heated grips and heated seat can be kind of nice to switch on and give you some heat.
Understood.

I was thinking in terms of a naked bike with a simple fairing, which is what I have. There is constant wind on my legs, torso, arms, and neck, which is where it gets cold, so my ass is the last thing I think about.

I am sure if you have a full-blown touring bike with barn doors, having a heated seat would make a difference.

Probably would also help keep shrinkage to a minimum, good for those cold trips to visit your lady....
Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #109
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000
So what's the consensus on the best wire to use? I originally read 30 ga. multi-strand hook up wire, then I read about a teflon coated wire, then the 26 ga. nichrome?
I picked stranded 30ga that is teflon coated since stranded wire flexes with less breakage than solid wire. Got a 100 foot roll for about $35 I think. Enough to make 3 jackets plus.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #110
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 625
Quote:

30awg copper is more flexible and comes teflon coated but has a resistance of around .1 ohm per foot which means you have to sew a metric shitload of it into your garment. If I ever had the need to make pants I'd probably use it.

My experience with 26ga nichrome has been good overall. It is only slightly more "wiry" or brittle and I cover it myself with 1/16" shrink tube. At around 2.6 ohms per foot, you need a fraction of the wire which, in my case anyway, allows me to build things faster and troubleshoot easier. I use a 54" loop to get about 16 watts - just the right length for a glove. In my jacket, I employ 8 54" loops in parallel for 120 something watts. (overkill) Unlike a single loop, if I incur a break, I lose heat only in that quadrant and I know where to look. I can make (and have made) field repairs easily, even while camping.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #111
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

I use 30-33 feet of the 30ga teflon wire. It is silver-plated copper. Total resistance is roughly 3.1 ohms for 33 feet.

33 feet seems like a lot until you start installing the wire in your jacket, and after an hour of sewing or ironing, you realize you need more. That jacket that I ironed the wire on used 33 feet, and I thought it could use more.

That is the going rate for the DIY kits available out there.

http://www.bulkwire.com/wire-cable/p...nded-wire.html
Old 10-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #112
psychoscot
Heeland Cowboy

Oddometer: 27
I thought you bought some rum, but I only saw Bacardi...
psychoscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #113
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds like the teflon multi-strand is what I want. I need the extra length, and would much prefer not having to add my own insulation. 33 feet seems to be the general consensus.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #114
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Quote:
Sounds like the teflon multi-strand is what I want. I need the extra length, and would much prefer not having to add my own insulation. 33 feet seems to be the general consensus.

Thanks!
Yep, 33 feet will get you about 55 watts. For a jacket liner, you might consider two 33' loops in parallel. If you're gonna build it, why not over-build it - that's my motto.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

Old 11-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #115
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Odd question for you all; can I add a 2' length (or 4) of say 12 gauge wire in the middle of my 'loop' of 30 gauge wire? I want to add a foot or so of heated wire in front of my knee caps (as they generally get cold quick), but don't want to waste the heat traveling down and back up my thighs (that don't need it). My amateur electrical knowledge says this won't effect anything. The 12 ga. will have no notable resistance, so will not get hot or waste power. But I just wanted to make sure that the 30 ga. that's separated from the rest of the loop would get approximately the same temperature.

It's a one piece suit liner I'll be wiring. Here's what I'm thinking roughly. The back will be wired about identical to the front from the waist up. Looking for a total of 30-35 ft of 30 ga., and probably 4 feet of 12 ga. for the thighs and the main power line.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #116
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

So essentially you'll have six short sections of resistance wire in a series, each having its own wattage. My guess is all the pieces would need to be the same length or the knees will be too hot. I would just run left and right continuous loops 33' each in parallel including the thighs. That will give you 110 to 120 watts max which is not excessive for a one piece suit, especially with a controller. My jacket is 120 watts which is admittedly overkill but there have been times when I got chilled off the bike and enjoyed the quick heat-up. Also, 14 or 16ga supply wire will suffice without the stiffness of 12ga.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

Old 11-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #117
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 395
Also remember the gauge of the wire changes how much power it uses.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #118
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

To comprehend this, I'm trying to dumb it down. This heated wire is comparable to the filament of a light bulb, and different lengths will give me different wattages. Google taught me this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
If you add a 10-watt bulb in series with two 60-watt bulbs, the 10-watt bulb will glow brightly but the other two will barely produce light.The 10-watt bulb has such a large resistance compared to the other two 60-watt bulbs that the 10-watt bulb gets the highest percentage of the voltage.
This drastically helped me picture it, and it basically completely agrees with Ken above. Now, I really don't want to overpower this thing, so doing a parallel circuit is not my first choice. So I have to decide if I want to run heated wire down the thighs, or simply ditch the knee idea. I'll probably just cut my 33 feet of wire and lay it out and see what I can accomplish.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #119
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

I would NOT put any wire in the shoulder area. Did that on my first jacket and found that since I don't have much fat on my shoulders, the heater burns the hell out of my skin up there. Same goes for inside of my biceps.

I made a heated vest with 30' of the same wire, seems to do the job very well without all the extra bulk.

As for running one wire through the jacket and pants; if I were going to do it, I would get a dual troller and separate the circuits; one troller for the jacket and one for the pants. You don't need as much heat on your legs as you do your torso (at least I don't).

I have chicken legs and wear waterproof, quilted and windproof pants, and my legs never got cold. Toes, did, though.

Firstgear's dual troller only costs about $20 more than the single.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #120
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

?? I paid $26 or something like that for 100' of teflon wire...