Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #121
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 394
Not sure where you were looking, but I got my wire much cheaper than that. In the end, it cost me something like a penny a foot.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #122
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green427
?? I paid $26 or something like that for 100' of teflon wire...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green427
I use 30-33 feet of the 30ga teflon wire. It is silver-plated copper. Total resistance is roughly 3.1 ohms for 33 feet.

33 feet seems like a lot until you start installing the wire in your jacket, and after an hour of sewing or ironing, you realize you need more. That jacket that I ironed the wire on used 33 feet, and I thought it could use more.

That is the going rate for the DIY kits available out there.

http://www.bulkwire.com/wire-cable/p...nded-wire.html
I got it from your link. I see where I messed up, though. I was looking at the wrong gauge. 10 gauge is US$55.17 for 25'.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #123
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Wicked

Purchased my stuff today!

100' of wire from here: http://www.bulkwire.com/wire-cable/p...nded-wire.html

4 Connectors from here:http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=090-479

And 4 Plugs with a 6' pigtail: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=090-492

The plan is to wire up my riding suit, my buddies riding suit, and my girlfriends jacket, each with 33' of heated cord and a heavy gauge wire coming out with the plug on the end.

I'll put two connectors in my big bike that's used for 2-up, one in my solo bike, and one on my buddies for his heated suit.

I'm going to run sans-controller at first and see what happens. If it's overly hot, I'll add an inline switch. My previous gear has never been overly hot though, I'd just pull the plug if needed. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it... which I'm not expecting.

Looking forward to doing some sewing!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #124
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Pissed

Hah! Recieved the riding suit today! Already had the electrical stuff, so I couldn't leave well enough alone.

Within the first 12 hours of owning a brand new (first lot out of the factory) Teiz Lombard V3, I had sewn wires into the liner. Was it necessary? Probably not, This thing looks warm! Was it worth the $10 and couple hours (from 11:00pm to 1:00am)? Heck yeah!

I focused on the front, with the intentions of fighting the cold wind. Laid wires from the shoulders to the knees across both sides. With just a could stripes across the upper back.

Heated Wires by Mikef5000, on Flickr

If it's uncomfortable (too hot on the front and/or to cold on the arms/back) I'll un-solder it and reroute it.

Can't wait to test it out!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #125
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000
Hah! Recieved the riding suit today! Already had the electrical stuff, so I couldn't leave well enough alone.

Within the first 12 hours of owning a brand new (first lot out of the factory) Teiz Lombard V3, I had sewn wires into the liner. Was it necessary? Probably not, This thing looks warm! Was it worth the $10 and couple hours (from 11:00pm to 1:00am)? Heck yeah!

Can't wait to test it out!
I'm interested to see how this turns out. I was just thinking about this on a frosty ride home. IMHO, you will not be satisfied with this arrangement.

The heating elements in heated clothing need to be as close to the skin as possible, You only have so much power (wattage) to play with, and putting the wire as close to your body as possible is more efficient. By putting the wires in your outer garment, you would have to heat the air inside the suit to keep warm. You don't have enough power to do this unless you have a truck alternator strapped to your hack somewhere. Think also, that you'll want to put on additional insulating layers for really cold weather. With your “in the suit design”, you'll effectively be insulating yourself from the heat.

If it worked though, it would be much more convenient than my base layer style for daily commuting.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #126
Lotus54
Ngana

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by theWolfTamer
Ke Want to wait to see if the 30 ft of single stranded teflon wire will produce enough heat or if I need to add more feet in the front.
More wire will produce LESS heat. More wire (of same resistance) will have more total resistance.
More resistance = less current = less Watts= less head.

Maybe you meant move more toward the front?
Old 11-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #127
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

No, what I meant was the single stranded wire is rated to a produce higher temps at the same wattage as the multi stranded. I started with 30ft and wanted to be sure that was sufficient. It wasn't so I added an additional 15ft to the front.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #128
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,359
Wanna control it cheaply?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post15700421
Old 04-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #129
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=36

and

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=38

Old 11-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #130
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,063
any long term feedback yet?
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #131
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

I'm very pleased with the stuff I made. On my last ride I was warmer on the bike than off of it! I think if you have the time diy is worth it. On my jacket and pant liners I used the SAE dual connectors because that's what I had. One minor problem is the SAE connector is when that thing is connected, it's connected. It ain't coming off and you ain't walking away with it still connected. You'll pull the bike over first!

Gonna swap those out for some DC Coax ones like these:

Then add one of these so I can connect the pant liner when needed.

Click on pics for link to site.

The bonus is have stuff left over to make extra sets and repairs if needed although I haven't had to repair anything yet.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #132
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
any long term feedback yet?
I’m on the 3rd winter on my original jacket and heat controller. Commuting around 800 – 1k miles per month, I calculate that I have around 12k miles of use from my gear and both the controller and jacket have worked flawlessly. Even in ice and snow (yes, we get that sometimes in Louisiana) I have never had to run it full blast.
I have had a few hiccups with the gloves, but after I switched from the DC Coax to the SAE connectors, I’ve had no more Issues. I can’t find any solder on Coax connectors that will handle the current the gloves draw for more than a few months before they start to loose connection. I am actually considering purchasing some Warm and Safe gloves though. I was never fully satisfied with my home made ones. It was just too much trouble getting enough wire threaded thru the gloves without compromising the waterproofing.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #133
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Flathead View Post
I can’t find any solder on Coax connectors that will handle the current the gloves draw for more than a few months before they start to loose connection
Have you tried injecting RTV Silicone into the connector body and assembling? I makes them much more rugged.
2 part 5 minute epoxy works well too.
Really helps with the waterproofing as well.
Also applies to Intercom connectors.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #134
MattR302
Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer: 78
I started to make my own heated jacket about 2-3 years ago, never got around to putting the connector on the end of it and finishing it up. I believe I used about 33' of 30awg teflon wire i bought on Ebay. I ended up getting a pair of firstgear carbon heated gloves for 50% at a local Kawi dealer. They tried to sell me the wiring and the controller, but I had to insist that I didnt want them.

I ended up making a simple OFF-LOW-HIGH controller. I used one of those plastic radio shack project boxes, with a center-off toggle switch. Flip the toggle switch up, its wired directly to the battery for 100% heat. Flip the toggle switch down, its wired through a turn signal relay inside the project box for about a 50% on-off pulse width, for a low heat setting.
MattR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #135
LBS Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Here is one for ya! I have 25ft of 22ga wire. I would love to use it for a heated shell but the wire is only .4 ohms for the whole length. Can I put a resister inline, and if so should it be a certain type? By my calculations if I put a 2 ohm resister (2.4 total) in there at about 13 volts that will give me a wattage of 70.46. Any input would be much appreciated.
LBS Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote