User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #1561
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,640
pjensen641,
Looks like you got a good one there and judging from your examination she is in good hands.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #1562
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
pjensen641,
Looks like you got a good one there and judging from your examination she is in good hands.
Thanks Barnone!

On to the Mods list. I would appreciate any input you guys have here.

Low Bar Conversion
I already know the bars will be way to high. I don't intend to put a windshield on this bike. So these high bars have to go, way to much air hitting me, I need a slight forward lean.

So, I already know there is a super expensive low bar kit from Z-power. Instead I think I will piece something together as some others have done.

Handlebars: This looks like the easy thing. Probably some 7/8" superbike or euro bend bars and shims. The Hyde M bars look interesting, anyone have photos on a W? Are they comfortable?

Mirrors: Looks like BellaCorse still carries Napoleons? I thought they were discontinued? Other suggestions?
Napoleon

Brake Line: I would like to replace the 12 year old rubber line anyway. I want a stainless replacement. Looking for US sources, I found these for the low bar. Does anyone have any experience with either?

HEL

Bremzen

Clutch Cable/throttle cables:
Anyone know where to get the low ones here? Else, I guess I will have to order from overseas if I cant get these to look right.

Brake Lever: I have short fingers (No jokes about that). The brake lever is a long reach. Anyone know any reasonable adjustable levers? I would bet there is another kawasaki model that has a compatible one. Might just take this one into my local dealer and see what looks similar.

Carb/intake Overhaul

I want this thing to run as good as it can. Arbitrary EPA rules causing lean spots and fat top ends be damned. I think I will pick up a Factory Pro Kit. I like the fact that it is made up of OEM Kehin parts. Does anyone have a list of jets that come in the kit?

Also, with 40K miles, I am wondering if the carbs need some wear parts replaced. Are these carbs hard on emulsion tubes (or whatever the thing the needle rides in). Any other parts prone to wear besides the seats?

Air Filters: Anyone know of any replacements? Is there just the two slide in ones? These are looking original and ratty. I'll just get OEM's if no aftermarket ones exist.

Airbox Mods: I don't want to do anything to drastic, but if there are some easy things to do that wont increase intake noise too much or let in water/dust, I'd be interested I'm thinking some of these little guys.

Round Filters
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #1563
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,125
I (and many others) immediately found the stock bars make you feel like a sail in the wind.

Bikemasters Euro bend bars for less than $30 makes a huge difference. You will also need some spacers to install the 7/8" bar where it was formally 1", same for the controls.

Nice bike, good luck with it.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #1564
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 889
Thumb

I changed my Hi-bars for a low 7/8" set - no cable changes - just a bit of messing to get them in the right place.

As for carb changes..... My set up is really sweet now...... the standard set-up is rather lean I've removed the air emission crap

I fitted a Sygma 6 kit from eBay. Running with STANDARD pipes & airbox & filter.
Main jets up to 122.5 and pilots up just one size (both carbs the same).
I did have a couple of shims fitted under the needles, but took them out again as the 1/4 - 1/2 throttle was a bit rich.
No other mods apart from setting pilot screw 3 turns out (only a rough guide as bike to bike & altitude will effect this).

Nice buy though - hope you enjoy
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #1565
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Hepco & Becker Luggage for a W

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Did they ever make a luggage rack for these bikes?
This is the setup I had on my W before I sold the bike to an inmate here:

Very high quality, watertight and stout German stuff. The bags are the Benjamin model, probably 1980s or 90s vintage, and hold about 28L each. H&B makes a top box that mounts to the top rack, and their other hard bag models (Gobi, Journey, etc.) also fit this rack system.

The bike is gone but the rack and bags are still gathering dust in my garage alongside lots of other parts from other bikes that I no longer own. I logged many thousands of miles on this bike with this setup.
husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #1566
rulle_retard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Oil around carburetor mounts

Hey!
I just discovered some weird sticky, oily thing around my carburetor mounts (on the engine side). It almost looks like a blown head gasket but it seems to come from the carburetor mounts (see the pictures). If it was a blown head gasket it wouldnt get this oily, more sooty, carbon. Or am I wrong? The bike has only 6200 miles on the odo.

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/3185/imagesqj.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img152/779/image1ra.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img651/1796/bildmn.jpg
rulle_retard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #1567
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,629
Hmm. This sounds like the same question on the Yahoo Group, but the photos are interesting. I'm about as far from being a mechanic as possible, but I'd ask:

1. How does it run? Still strong? If it does, it shouldn't be a blown head gasket.

2. How do the plugs look? Tan, or oily?

3. What's the condition of the airbox? Any oiliness in there?

Reason I'm curious, if one of the oil breather lines was blocked and you were getting oil blown into the airbox, it could be pushing an oily air mixture through the carbs . . .

Though I wouldn't expect a leak unless the intake tubes were old and porous . . .

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #1568
rulle_retard
Adventurer

It is the same question :) Thought I throw it out here to!

1. I have never ridden any other w650 but I think its running completely normal.

2. The plugs doesnt look oily, more chocolate/tan like, pretty normal I guess.

3. I cleaned the airfilters last summer, then the filters were pretty oily, and the airbox to. and the bike runs a lot better when I cleaned them and put on the "right" amount of oil on them. Doesnt know what the previous owner have did.

Thats waht Im thinking also, but just as you say, it shouldnt leak anything there anyway?!
It seems that this oily, sticking thing has been there for a while. It is almost black (as you can see in 2 of the photos) and very sticky, it has not coming recently but this was the first time I checked under there.

I just DONT want it to be any blown head gasket!? :(
Old 01-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #1569
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,629
Well, even though the Dubya isn't a real MC powerhouse, it should still out-accellerate 95%+ of the cars on the road, and hit 85 mph and more with no trouble, eventually pop you over the "ton." If it will do that, or close, it probably doesn't have a blown head gasket!

You might try to clean up the stains with solvent or something, and then watch them to see if they reappear. It could be a mess left over from the PO, like the oily airbox and air filters.

Like Jon Haddock said (he's got an opinion on everything . . !!), if it's not exhibiting other symtoms, just ride it!

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #1570
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
I am thinking the previous owner may have over filled the engin oil a little. More oil and oil vaper gets blown back to the air box via the vent hose and sucked back into the carbs. What doesn't get burned collects and seeps out at the manifold.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #1571
rulle_retard
Adventurer

Ok, I hope thats the case! Thanks for the answers! :)
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #1572
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 889
I'd re-torque the head just to be sure - these things sometimes settle a bit and loosen up a smidge

Doesn't look too bad - just clean it up and keep an eye on it.... if the head gasket was going you'd more then likely here a chirpy blowing noise - probably feel it blowing with a damp hand
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #1573
rulle_retard
Adventurer

Ok! But doesnt I need to take off the cam and everything in order to re-torque them? I can't access them just by take off the valve cover, right?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #1574
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
There are two oil tubes that run from the crank case to the head. Check out the parts fiche on Bikebandit or the like. They are sealed with o-rings. I bet the pressure tube o-rings are a bit weak. It looks like oil weapage to me. The pressure tube is located just in front of the carbs. Item 39193.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...49422#sch63821
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #1575
rulle_retard
Adventurer

yeah I have thought of that too, but since the oily thing clearly coming from the carburetor mounts and have poured down to where the cylinder head meets the cylinder I doesnt think it is the oil tube. The spot I am worried about is this http://imageshack.us/a/img651/1796/bildmn.jpg
That also seems to come from the mount but I am really not sure, but seems to far away from the oil tube anyways.