User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #2221
Zeon
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hepco siderack 625.284 install questions

Just got a set of chrome Hepco sideracks for my W650.
Here are the instructions
http://neu.hepco-becker.de/Montagean...gen/625284.pdf

My one year of high school German is long gone, and I can't get Google translate to translate the entire doc.

My main questions are:
1. the kit comes with a black bracket that seems unnecessary, but looks like it might be an adapter for the top most mount point near the rear of the grab handle. Can anyone confirm what this part is and if I need it?

2. Does anyone have an English translation of this document? Cant' find one anywhere.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #2222
Zeon
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Photo of hepco parts 625.284 chrome

Here are the parts I referred to in previous post. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #2223
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
It's the indicator mount and goes under the tail-light.

Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #2224
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,638
boy, that sure solves the "cracking fender" problem . . . .

I like it.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:08 AM   #2225
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
boy, that sure solves the "cracking fender" problem
Neither the indicator mount nor the bag rack mounts do anything to support the guard:

Old 09-30-2013, 05:47 AM   #2226
chupa88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFox View Post
Hey Thanks. That was great.
chupa88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #2227
chupa88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
A little thin skinned are we? No, I read where the filler cap was on my first bike in the manual. I didn't know anybody else that had a bike.
I did read the service manual regarding "Engine Lubrication." It was not very detailed and it did not even show a picture of the filler cap.
chupa88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #2228
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
Neither the indicator mount nor the bag rack mounts do anything to support the guard:

Looks to me that the black bracket attaches to or near the license plate bracket. Doesn't have to carry weight, just dampen vibration. If it does that it will substantially increase the life of the fender. Vibration is the issue.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #2229
orsurf76
engine braker

Oddometer: 82
electrical question

so I'm planning on replacing my turn signals/indicators, and I'm looking into switching to LEDs to free up a little wattage.
It looks like the turn signal bulbs are 21w--how much power are the two front running lights drawing (while not indicating a turn)?
If I go with LEDs I'll need to add resistors--is there an option for replacing the OEM turn signal relay or do I just have to do in-line relays for each bulb?
Anyone done this for their bike?
orsurf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #2230
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by orsurf76 View Post
so I'm planning on replacing my turn signals/indicators, and I'm looking into switching to LEDs to free up a little wattage.
It looks like the turn signal bulbs are 21w--how much power are the two front running lights drawing (while not indicating a turn)?
If I go with LEDs I'll need to add resistors--is there an option for replacing the OEM turn signal relay or do I just have to do in-line relays for each bulb?
Not sure of these bulbs specifically but generally speaking in the automotive universe, 21W is standard for a brake light or turn signal while running lights / tail lights are usually 5-8W.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #2231
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
If you add resistors, you will not free up much power since it will be burned up in the resistor then right? There are some generic options for LED flashers that you should be able to wire in.

Pretty sure I used this one for one of my bikes. You just bypass the stock flasher socket or put some connectors on it that will interface with the socket. Linky

There are other options for flashers there as well as diodes to make sure your indicator light doesn't get stuck on. They have some nice replacement LED bulbs too. Make sure you get color matching ones for best light output.

In general, only the running lights and tail light would net a small power savings. The signals aren't ever on long enough to do much anyway. Another option would be to just replace the front indicators with a two wire signal only set up. Many bikes don't have those running lights.

Past Rides: '82 GL500, '00 YZ426, '01 DRZ400S, '04 ST4S
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #2232
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Looks to me that the black bracket attaches to or near the license plate bracket. Doesn't have to carry weight, just dampen vibration. If it does that it will substantially increase the life of the fender. Vibration is the issue.
It is simply a small joined plate which moves the indicators out of the way of the bag locks. It is bolted to the existing indicator mounts and nowhere else, so I can't see why it would have any damping effect - apart from adding perhaps 2oz to the 'unsprung' weight of the rubber-mounted taillight unit. (For the OP - I should add that the wiring has to be lengthened about 4" and redirected if the extension plate is used.)

The 2 smaller plates fit behind the under seat indicator mounting holes to attach the side mounting bar seen behind the pillion handgrip. Depending on the country, W650/800s came with the indicators either under the seat or on the taillight unit; there are mounting holes in both places.

Just checked the H&B site - the 2 small plates are used on the rack as well as the full system. They go behind the frame in the indicator mounting holes: you have to remove the top bolts of the mudguard and drop it a few inches to get them in, and the mounting bracket of the rack is bolted to it, as can be seen in my pics above. The plates are not interchangeable but the curved edge will show you which one fits on which side; they more or less click in place when properly mounted.

Scrivens screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 06:34 PM
Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #2233
orsurf76
engine braker

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
If you add resistors, you will not free up much power since it will be burned up in the resistor then right? There are some generic options for LED flashers that you should be able to wire in.

Pretty sure I used this one for one of my bikes. You just bypass the stock flasher socket or put some connectors on it that will interface with the socket. Linky

There are other options for flashers there as well as diodes to make sure your indicator light doesn't get stuck on. They have some nice replacement LED bulbs too. Make sure you get color matching ones for best light output.

In general, only the running lights and tail light would net a small power savings. The signals aren't ever on long enough to do much anyway. Another option would be to just replace the front indicators with a two wire signal only set up. Many bikes don't have those running lights.
Well Pjensen641, you make a couple good points. Maybe I'm chasing watts in all the wrong places.
So that electronic flasher unit you've used, where does it plug in? Where the relay goes or by one of the turn signals? Or by all of the turn signals?
orsurf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #2234
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Well Pjensen641, you make a couple good points. Maybe I'm chasing watts in all the wrong places.
So that electronic flasher unit you've used, where does it plug in? Where the relay goes or by one of the turn signals? Or by all of the turn signals?

You yank the old flasher out and install this in its place. Not plug and play, due to connectors, but totally eliminates the stock flasher.

Past Rides: '82 GL500, '00 YZ426, '01 DRZ400S, '04 ST4S
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #2235
snake89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Ok, im gonna chime in with my W. Ive got A 2000 model with 42000 miles, ive done all but 616 of them. Alot of those are hard fast sport riding miles with my sport bike club, its cafed out but has been semi scrambled it the past and has done a few offroad miles. I LOVE THIS BIKE ! Ive had it for 12 years & will never sell it. Im gonna build some sort of high pipe exhaust on it this winter. Its got a ducati monster headlight, low bars, a stock seat pan done up like a gunfighter also a stock 2001 seat for 2 up riding. Jet kit, airbox mod and debaffled pipes. Bobbed rear fender after it cracked and a lucas style tailight. Been wanting to go full scrambler with it since i bought it but its been too much fun as a cafe racer. A friend has one been sitting in his garage for 4 years, offered it to me stupid cheap. I think i see a second W in my shop in the near future. Ill get a pic when i figure out how to do it.