Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #211
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
I have the z-power bars. I like them, partly because the idea of shims on handlebars seems kind of kludgey to me. I did get some bar-ends because the stock mirrors show nothing but my elbows with the low bars, and I didn't buy the mirrors from Z-power.

hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #212
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,488
The Z-Power bars look pretty good. How much do they affect the riding position? I mean I like the upright position from stock but I recognize that for more comfortable highway riding it needs to bring you into a bit more of a forward lean position.

The other thing I don't like about the stock bars is that because of the severe pullback, the grips are at weird angles to your hands. It's not very ergonomic on longer rides. Looks like the Z-Power bars don't have that issue.

Are the Z-Power bars already drilled for the throttle and clutch perch locating pins?
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #213
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,642
BikeMaster Bars

I installed a BikeMaster bar that looks about like the Z-Bar. That height will be much better at speed on the highway as it provides a little more forward lean. Conversely, at low speeds in the 'hood, there is a little more weight on my wrists.

Having had stock (way too high) drag (too low for my aging body) and the BikeMaster/Z-Bar imitations, I prefer the latter hands down. Best so far IMHO.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #214
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
The Z-Power bars look pretty good. How much do they affect the riding position? I mean I like the upright position from stock but I recognize that for more comfortable highway riding it needs to bring you into a bit more of a forward lean position.

The other thing I don't like about the stock bars is that because of the severe pullback, the grips are at weird angles to your hands. It's not very ergonomic on longer rides. Looks like the Z-Power bars don't have that issue.

Are the Z-Power bars already drilled for the throttle and clutch perch locating pins?
I did the full Z-Power conversion on my W. Came with the appropriate shorter cables, longer mirrors and of couse the bars. It was a factory kit available from Kawasaki in Japan but not available in the US. Pre-drilled ready to go.

Changed the riding position to just right. A little more lean into the wind, a better angle for your wrists and less weight on your butt. 100% improvement!

I also added a small flyscreen which helped even more. See post # 15, you can see the screen and the lower rise of the bars.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #215
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Yes, they are pre-drilled. They are OEM for euro spec W650s--Z-power is just selling a Kawasaki part that we can't get here. Everything fits, no shimming the bars at the clamp, no drilling for locator pins. The one thing I did notice is more vibration through the bars than the stockers, but that might be my thin replacement grips.

I find the pullback to be quite comfortable, and the weight distribution on the bike is better. They also change the handling characteristics of the bike, I seem to have a better feel for the front-end. They are also quite a bit narrower. I don't feel like a sail anymore on the highway.

I'm not a distance rider, so I can't speak to long-range comfort.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #216
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,488
Ok so who's got pics of themselves on their Z-Power-equipped W650 so I can see what the riding position is like?

I'm guessing there is not a supplier for this kit in the U.S.? The exhange rate is kind of a killer for getting the kit from Z-Power in the UK.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #217
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

OK, go to your local m/c shop, look at the Tucker Rocky catalog, order the BikeMaster bars of your choice for around $25 or so, and drill the holes yourself. You can either build up shims like many have here, or install bicycle shims (see a previous post of mine-post 168 in this thread). All the methods work, and whatever items you have to buy will benefit your local retailer. Cheap, and a win-win all around.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #218
pamonster
pamonster

Oddometer: 18
Didn't know if this thread has been linked to an old one I made but i fgured it should. I did some fairly extensive modifications that can all be done at minimal expense. has a lot to do with intake, exhaust, and jetting.
I need to update it since I've made a few more modifications and should put it on for completeness sake
anyways here it is
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483579
Old 03-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #219
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Just decided to take a look at this thread....WOW...That is a very good looking bike! Nice find....
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:08 AM   #220
Mountain Goat
Wandering Bike Dude

Oddometer: 205
W650 on FleaBay

There is a nice W650 right now on Fleabay, located in Florida. If I didn't already have 5 bikes I would try to buy it.
Carl
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #221
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Another one in Louisiana on Craigslist. Something like $2250 and it doesn't look too bad at all. Helluva bargain for someone.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #222
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
There is a nice W650 right now on Fleabay, located in Florida. If I didn't already have 5 bikes I would try to buy it.
Carl
'Nother one here on Craigslist in El Paso for only $2500.

That's a steal.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #223
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,251
Finally got to register and ride my 190 mile '01 W650.

Wow! This bike is sweet. I put 110 miles on today, but it's still not broken in yet. Supposed to keep the revs to 4K for the first 500 miles, then to 6K for the next 500. Going to try and put another 100 miles on tomorrow.

Nice sound from the pipes, and minimal vibration, but what surprised me was how nice it takes the curves. I went up to Bear Mt Park in NY and round 7 Lakes Drive, which has a lot of tight curves. The bike leans over very easily, and holds it's line. Reminded me of the SV650 I used to have. I don't know the limits of the stock tires, but I was amazed at the lean angles I was getting with it.

Another thing that amazed me was the gas mileage. I filled up before I started, and then when I finished, both at the same station. I got 58.3 MPG. Checked it twice on the calculator because I thought I'd made a mistake. I'm lucky if I get 40 MPG on my SV1000, 38 is the usual.

What it doesn't do well is take big bumps. Have to look into front springs and rear shocks. Brakes could use a little help too, so HH pads are in order.

Anybody have one they've done suspension work on?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #224
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Suspension

I've put Hagon's on the rear. Better damping. They help. Have Racetech springs and emulators for the front but haven't had time to install . . . .

The fork oil in mine (with 5K miles) was like gray soup. A simple oil change helped a lot--but I still ordered the Racetech parts. They helped a bunch on my WeeStrom so I'm confident they'll do some good at least.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #225
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Hagons will transform the ride. What a difference.