Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2010, 03:51 AM   #226
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Have race tech progressive springs and emulators up front and Progressive 440s on the rear. Works well, much better than stock, but not even close to my Ducati.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #227
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon
Have race tech progressive springs and emulators up front and Progressive 440s on the rear. Works well, much better than stock, but not even close to my Ducati.
Thanks to all for the suspension replies. I'm not really expecting Ducati level handling, just want something to tame the big bumps and have somewhat of an improvement in general.

As far as the Hagons, is there any particular model?

Another thing I noticed was, yes, you really are a sail at highway speeds with the high bars the bike comes with. Small changes in wind direction and speed had a great affect on the stability, so lower bars are next.

Oh, and a 6th gear would have been nice, but maybe now I'm reaching. ;>)

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #228
Speedo66
Transient

Another ride today. Leaned over in a left hander, hit a bump, and grounded some piece, probably the center stand.

Definitely needs some suspension work.

But still, this bike puts a smile on my face every time I ride it (or look at it).

Old 04-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #229
some_finn
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66
As far as the Hagons, is there any particular model?
They have three levels of damping to choose from and several spring rates.
I seem to recall if you just order "the ones for Kawasaki W650" you will get very stiff springs that won't work well for a rider under 200 lbs.
W650 Shop lists some spring rate suggestions. Hagon has great customer service (they read their e-mails, too!) and will make suggestions if you tell them your size, if you ride with a pillion or not etc
Hagon also has progressive front fork springs which are "drop in" unlike some other brands.

If you get the springs sorted, you will soon notice there really isn't terribly much cornering clearance. The foot peg feelers are rather easily scraped even without bumps in the corners.
some_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #230
alfabc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
W650 gas mileage?

I picked up a used 2000 with a sidecar attached. I'm taking the chair off for some solo fun, and was wondering what to expect gas mileage wise. I was getting about 25-30 max with the sidecar attached and wifey riding monkey.

Cheers,

Bill
alfabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:04 AM   #231
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,698
I generally get 50-55 mpg. Better on longer rides doing backroads, lower on the freeway--but where's the fun in that?

I don't rev the W out too much. It's got enough mid-range torque to more than keep up with Dc traffic without wringing it's neck too often.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:41 AM   #232
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer: 672
Hey W650 owners - what's the handling like?

I understand its not a GSXR, but can you punt it around a corner (at sub or par speed limit) speed with a big grin on your face and not a face full of road?

I'm very interested in getting one as my "Sunday fun bike" as I'm moving back to an area that I love riding in, but festooned with police....

Cheers

Chris

Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #233
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,698
Talking Handling? We don't need no stinkin' handling!!

Actually, the W's handle OK--not great, but OK. If it's an original bike, new tires for sure. On mine, it reacted poorly to bumps in corners--felt like a hinge in the middle. I put Hagon's on the back and new 15w fork oil in the front--helps a lot. Have a Race Tech kit for the front but haven't had time to put it in yet.

Handling is better with the Hagon's, but the damping in the front leave something to be desired. Front bounces a bit. So, until I get the Race Tech springs and emulators in, I enter the corner kinda slow, then roll the throttle. That tends to transfer the energy and weight to the back where the good shocks are.

It will never be a modern sport bike. Maybe that's one reason why I like it so much! But you can lean it a bit and have some fun.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #234
some_finn
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Yes, it's fun in the twisties. You can grind the pegs even with the stock suspension but it's well worth upgrading with Hagons (I recommend them front and back, see my earlier post above).
I got rear sets and now it's my Dunstall replica exhausts that will scrape first.

The stock Accolade tires are pretty bad. BT45s are better. Reportedly Dunlop GT501s and Avon Roadriders are great. Just got Roadriders for mine but haven't had a chance to test them yet.
And get a 120/90 rear tire. It makes the bike a bit nimbler but not unstable.

It's not as good as a modern sports bike but the best thing is it's a lot of fun at more reasonable speeds. You don't have to ride 30mph over the limit all the time to enjoy it.
some_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #235
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_finn
Yes, it's fun in the twisties.....
It's not as good as a modern sports bike but the best thing is it's a lot of fun at more reasonable speeds. You don't have to ride 30mph over the limit all the time to enjoy it.
Thanks - that would be my number 1 reason to have one!

The speed nazi's are getting worse down here, and I can't afford to lose my license again.

My strategy is to have a sportsbike (or two) for the track and an old school cafe racer for the road.

Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #236
Speedo66
Transient

Truly!

I'm finding I'm enjoying the bike at 70 MPH on roads I usually have to go 90-100 to enjoy on my SV1000.
Lots safer physically and legally, but still a lot of fun.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #237
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_finn
They have three levels of damping to choose from and several spring rates.
I seem to recall if you just order "the ones for Kawasaki W650" you will get very stiff springs that won't work well for a rider under 200 lbs.
W650 Shop lists some spring rate suggestions. Hagon has great customer service (they read their e-mails, too!) and will make suggestions if you tell them your size, if you ride with a pillion or not etc
Hagon also has progressive front fork springs which are "drop in" unlike some other brands.

If you get the springs sorted, you will soon notice there really isn't terribly much cornering clearance. The foot peg feelers are rather easily scraped even without bumps in the corners.
Thanks for the info on the Hagons.

I found the foot peg feelers unscrew out, so they're sitting on the shelf.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #238
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Wow!- I have to look for that! I never had those feeler things until this bike. Rather disconcerting.

I feel like everything works together once assembled; tires, Hagons, and lower bars.

Someone mentioned 6th gear- the PO of my bike put a countershaft sproket in there with one extra tooth. ??? It brings the revs down about 500 rpm, but I don't notce a lack of pick-up or anthing.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #239
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,560
I love this bike! Now that the weather's been getting a bit warmer I've had it out more. I think a lower bar kit will definitely be on this summer's project list.

Does anybody else's headlight shell buzz/vibrate at a certain rpm? I gotta try and figure that out though nothing is obviously loose.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #240
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,560
Also: the stock tires are not real confidence-inspiring during funtime. Plus I suspect mine are the original 10-year-old tires which unfortunately seem to have a lot of tread left. So I'm thinking about replacement.

Is the Bridgestone BT-45 *the* tire for this bike or what? Seems to be a popular choice.

EDIT: just read a couple posts up about the Dunlops and Avons as well. Any other good options? Guess I'll be doing some tire research.