ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #256
Blownranger
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Vero Beach,Florida
Oddometer: 48
Check mine out again on Flea market;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post12755664

Price dropped $4000 firm (a steal)

Putting it on E-Bay Monday.....
Blownranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #257
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon
 
Nick Makwell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Queensland, Australia
Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownranger
Check mine out again on Flea market;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post12755664

Price dropped $4000 firm (a steal)

Putting it on E-Bay Monday.....
Considering they sell for no less than $8000AUD down under - Ive seen them for sale for $10,000 sometimes (about $99000 of your pathetic pesos!!!) I can't believe the prices Ive seen for W650s!!!
__________________
_________________
1981 BMW R65 - "Seven"

Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #258
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,518
Today's tweaks:

Opened up the headlight shell and strategically placed electrical tape on some key points....looks like the buzzing has stopped!

Finally got around to properly blocking the air injection system. Found some marbles at the local dollar store (do you know how hard it is to find marbles these days?) and blocked the hose from the airbox to the air injection valve and also the hose from the air injection valve to the exhaust ports. NO MORE POPPING/BACKFIRING ON DECEL. BRILLIANT!!!!!! And the bag of 101 Chinese-made marbles was only $1 (and really shitty quality too). Now I have 99 marbles to find a use for.

Was noticing a bit of leanness in cooler weather when the choke came off but before the bike had really warmed up. Tweaked the pilot screws out another 1/2 turn. Man that did the trick, feels like that's the sweet spot. Had a great ride today and she was running sweet and smooth.

I love this bike. I love it even more when I get rid of the annoying things.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:11 AM   #259
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
Today's tweaks:

Opened up the headlight shell and strategically placed electrical tape on some key points....looks like the buzzing has stopped!

Finally got around to properly blocking the air injection system. Found some marbles at the local dollar store (do you know how hard it is to find marbles these days?) and blocked the hose from the airbox to the air injection valve and also the hose from the air injection valve to the exhaust ports. NO MORE POPPING/BACKFIRING ON DECEL. BRILLIANT!!!!!! And the bag of 101 Chinese-made marbles was only $1 (and really shitty quality too). Now I have 99 marbles to find a use for.

Was noticing a bit of leanness in cooler weather when the choke came off but before the bike had really warmed up. Tweaked the pilot screws out another 1/2 turn. Man that did the trick, feels like that's the sweet spot. Had a great ride today and she was running sweet and smooth.

I love this bike. I love it even more when I get rid of the annoying things.

Had you done the Capt. Jake shim mod?

http://www.captainjakes.com/w650/shi...shimming.shtml
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #260
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66
Had you done the Capt. Jake shim mod?

http://www.captainjakes.com/w650/shi...shimming.shtml
Yeah, that was one of the first things I did along with upgrading the pilot jets to 38 (previous owner had punched the baffles out of the mufflers so it was showing symptoms of lean running with the stock setup).

Just dialed it in a bit more yesterday and the improvement was dramatic.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #261
Blownranger
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Vero Beach,Florida
Oddometer: 48
Now on E-Bay A STEAL check it out;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...STRK:MESELX:IT
Blownranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #262
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownranger
Nice looking bike, good luck on the sale.
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #263
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,518
You know, I forget sometimes how much I love this motorcycle, especially if I haven't ridden it in a while. I get used to the Tiger because I ride it more often and the Tiger is indeed a fantastic motorcycle but the Kawi has its own charms compared to the Tiger:

- the shifting on the Kawi is smooth as butter. What a great gearbox. The Tiger is a bit heavy/clunky by comparison. Also I love the positive neutral finder.

- throttle roll-on and power application is nice and smooth. Love how it's got enough power to get ahead of traffic easily but not so much that hitting a bump in 2nd gear sends you lurching forward as you unintentionally apply throttle.

- brakes....well, sorry Kawi but dual discs with ABS do trump here.

- ah clutch effort nice and light, easy to modulate.

- headlight - it's actually a damn good headlight for a halogen. Don't know why Triumph with its fancy projector lens couldn't design a decent headlight for the Tiger. Oh well. Also love that it doesn't come on until you start the engine. Someone at Kawi was thinking.

- sounds great. Love the sound of a parallel twin.

- bevel gear cam drive. Come on, that's just sexy.

- valve adjustment - just slide the rocker over on the shaft to get to the shims. Now THAT'S engineering.

- love having a kickstart. I use it as often as possible. Obviously a kicker is not realistic on a modern high-compression triple but it would have been nice if Triumph had at least included it on the Bonneville/Scrambler.

- helmet lock included as well as tie-downs. Sometimes it's the small things that you appreciate most.

- robust tool kit. Triumph's tool kit is pretty much useless.

- I love that the owner's manual gives you detailed instructions on how to perform all the normal maintenance procedures. Triumph's manual says "see dealer."

- the service manual is fantastic. I've never seen so many pages in a modern motorcycle service manual devoted to valve lapping or disassembly/refurbishing of electrical components like the starter motor.

A great bike. I think she's a keeper.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #264
harrytief
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 6
Does anyone know of an online resource for an electrical circuit schematic for my 2001 w650?
Thanks
Harry
harrytief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #265
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
You know, I forget sometimes how much I love this motorcycle, especially if I haven't ridden it in a while. I get used to the Tiger because I ride it more often and the Tiger is indeed a fantastic motorcycle but the Kawi has its own charms compared to the Tiger:

- the shifting on the Kawi is smooth as butter. What a great gearbox. The Tiger is a bit heavy/clunky by comparison. Also I love the positive neutral finder.

- throttle roll-on and power application is nice and smooth. Love how it's got enough power to get ahead of traffic easily but not so much that hitting a bump in 2nd gear sends you lurching forward as you unintentionally apply throttle.

- brakes....well, sorry Kawi but dual discs with ABS do trump here.

- ah clutch effort nice and light, easy to modulate.

- headlight - it's actually a damn good headlight for a halogen. Don't know why Triumph with its fancy projector lens couldn't design a decent headlight for the Tiger. Oh well. Also love that it doesn't come on until you start the engine. Someone at Kawi was thinking.

- sounds great. Love the sound of a parallel twin.

- bevel gear cam drive. Come on, that's just sexy.

- valve adjustment - just slide the rocker over on the shaft to get to the shims. Now THAT'S engineering.

- love having a kickstart. I use it as often as possible. Obviously a kicker is not realistic on a modern high-compression triple but it would have been nice if Triumph had at least included it on the Bonneville/Scrambler.

- helmet lock included as well as tie-downs. Sometimes it's the small things that you appreciate most.

- robust tool kit. Triumph's tool kit is pretty much useless.

- I love that the owner's manual gives you detailed instructions on how to perform all the normal maintenance procedures. Triumph's manual says "see dealer."

- the service manual is fantastic. I've never seen so many pages in a modern motorcycle service manual devoted to valve lapping or disassembly/refurbishing of electrical components like the starter motor.

A great bike. I think she's a keeper.
Well said, and I'm certainly in agreement with you.

I especially like the gearbox, may be the easiest shifting bike I've ever ridden. The power, now that I'm above 500 miles and able to bring the RPMs to 6000, certainly is "sufficient" as Rolls used to say.

I've heard mention of the "positive neutral finder" before. What exactly is that?

Finding a factory luggage rack would be nice, but they're either hard to find, very expensive, or both. The German one is just expensive.
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:54 AM   #266
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,308
Craigslist W650 with all the toys

Here's one listed on Craigslist, not mine. Decent price with LOTS of nice toys, including factory side racks.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/1703198851.html

I asked for mileage, and if he'd sell some accessories separately, but received no response.

With new tires, and especially with new chain and sprockets, I'd have to assume the mileage can't be too low.
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #267
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate
 
ORexpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: West of Seattle . . .
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66

I've heard mention of the "positive neutral finder" before. What exactly is that?
When you're stopped in first gear, you can only shift to neutral. Lift your toe up and neutral is right there--no overshifting to second. No fishing for neutral. Can't shift through to any other gear . . . . . and no reason to do that.
__________________
Old . . . and . . . Slow

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #268
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat
When you're stopped in first gear, you can only shift to neutral. Lift your toe up and neutral is right there--no overshifting to second. No fishing for neutral. Can't shift through to any other gear . . . . . and no reason to do that.
Got it, thanks. Makes sense, wonder why all the manufacturers don't do that?
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #269
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66
Got it, thanks. Makes sense, wonder why all the manufacturers don't do that?
I think Kawi patented it. Guess nobody wants to license it from them.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #270
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer
 
Clint Taurus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Heart of Dixie
Oddometer: 788
where do i put the marble

Ok the first week of popping and backfiring was kinda cool but I've had enough already.
I've read thru all the posts and seem to keep missing where exactly I'm supposed to stuff a marble in order to stop the backfiring. Could sombody post a pic that shows where the marble is supposed to go. Is the jetting affected by the marble or will stock jetting be ok with a marble stuffed in there?
Also i read that sombody went to 15 wt fork oil. did that make the front a bit "stiffer" suspension. also how much oil goes in each fork leg?
Trying to get this little beauty all sorted out for it's inteded mission of cross town commuter.
Clint Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014