Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #301
bobaab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
What a great bike! This is one bike I would love to own...the kick start says it all!

I was talking to my dad about his motorcycling days in Japan, and he told me the Kawasaki W1 (or the Meguro W1) was a crazy bike back in those days. Buying one of these basically meant you were a bad ass.

There is a rather large cult following for the old W bikes in Japan and I think the W650 is a reincarnation to feed that nostalgia. It's too bad that the nostalgia is more in Japan rather than the US!
bobaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #302
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
I had the opportunity to take a longer ride last night which included some highway time. I'm still amazed at how something as simple as a new set of bars seems to have completely transformed the character of the bike. It's SO much more fun to ride now, especially over 70. I was wearing a huge grin inside my helmet last night.

New tires go on this weekend and now unfortunately I'll be more aware of the stock suspension's limitations. Guess I'll have to start saving up for those Hagons.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #303
The Jerk OP

So yesterday I ditched what I believe were the original 10-year-old Bridgestone Accolade front and rear tires. They had plenty of tread left but the rear was becoming quite dry-rotted around the rim and the front was getting some serious dry-rot cracks in the tread lines. Add to that they fact that they were getting pretty squared-off and they are not particularly good tires to begin with and it was time for them to go.

Replaced them with Bridgestone BT-45V tires in the original sizes. Wow, what a difference! The bike actually turns in now.

First time I went to make a right turn on the new tires it turned in so quick I thought I was going over. Amazing what you can get used to on old worn tires.

They are much more confidence-inspiring even while not yet scuffed in than the original tires ever were. Cornering is a much more pleasant and much less dangerous experience. :)

Definitely a good upgrade. Now to start saving up for those Hagons and RaceTech front end kit.

The Jerk screwed with this post 05-23-2010 at 02:21 PM
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #304
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
First time I went to make a right turn on the new tires it turned in so quick I thought I was going over. Amazing what you can get used to on old worn tires.
I totally agree! And not just tires, but changing handlebars or even suspension settings, too.

I changed soft, noodly stock steel bars on a V-strom with nice, stiff aluminum fat bars, and WOW, the first couple of turns, like you said, I felt like I was overs steering.

It's amazing how we get muscle memory and get so used to bike you ride all the time. I always say that riding a variety of bikes improves your skills faster than riding one bike a lot.

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #305
The Jerk OP

Ok, talk to me about suspension.

My current line of thinking involves the Hagon progressive shocks/springs for the rear and the RaceTech front fork kit including new springs and emulators.

Not having really ever messed around with suspension modifications before, my main concern is this: I want to be sure not to make the ride too firm/hard.

I live in New York and ride in the greater northeast. I have to deal with huge frost heaves, gigantic pothole craters, and really big mid-corner bumps. I don't want to change the suspension only to find that I'm blowing out my kidneys and rattling out my fillings over all the bumps I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Based on my reading about the topic, it seems that a properly set up suspension will be compliant when it needs to be and firm when it needs to be.

So I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that I won't be ruining my bike by inflicting a sportbike-hard ride on it.

I'm also looking for some advice and input from those who've been down this road before about how the above upgrades changed the ride and handling characteristics of the bike.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #306
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
I did the race-tech emulators and progressive spring up front and Progressive (brand) on the rear. The rear is great, much better than normal, but I think I need to adjust the front as it is definitely a little on the firm side for our frost-heavin' roads.

I originally had it done by a suspension guy in San Jose CA set up for the (generally) better twisty roads out there.

I'm less of a do-it-yourselfer than you are, so I can't really help with info on the actual install or any 'gotchas'.

BTW I also have the front fork-brace on it.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #307
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,310
My son lives in Bushwick in Brooklyn. Nothing short of 10" travel at either end is going to protect you from the potholes you can see unaided from space and surfaces destroyed by overweight trucks. I've seen motocross tracks with less whoops.

The moon laughs at Bushwick.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #308
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66
My son lives in Bushwick in Brooklyn. Nothing short of 10" travel at either end is going to protect you from the potholes you can see unaided from space and surfaces destroyed by overweight trucks. I've seen motocross tracks with less whoops.

The moon laughs at Bushwick.
Trust me, that I know all too well. But I'm not looking to worsen the ride if I can help it.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #309
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,310
Another CL special (not mine, and never will be), a defaced W650 for ONLY....... (and he's firm, no less)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...758292841.html

Guy has a bad case of of "wanna be".

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #310
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Where's the crack pipe smilie?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #311
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66
Another CL special (not mine, and never will be), a defaced W650 for ONLY....... (and he's firm, no less)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...758292841.html

Guy has a bad case of of "wanna be".
$7400!!!!!!!
Guy is positively nuts!

Also for $7400 it better not have a bullshit Triumph logo on the tank nor have a 3" scratch in the tank. That thing needs to be showroom perfect for $7400 and even then that's way too much money. Ah, when I think of the deals I've read about in this thread...
Old 05-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #312
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Braided lines on the front and BT45s on the rims. Schweet! Still going to have to heat cycle the tires some to get rid of the 'new tire' slickness, but I can tell it rides better than before.

And 'The Jerk' that excessive rebound I had before on the front seems to have gone away. Went over the same highway expansion joints that usually give me a little scare, and with the new rubber, no problem.

Now to get the bar-ends and saddlebags on, and it should be ready for some long distance exploring this summer.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #313
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon
Now to get the bar-ends and saddlebags on, and it should be ready for some long distance exploring this summer.
What are you doing for bags? I've been pondering this question. The LeatherLyke stuff looks pretty cool and the mounts are stealth with the bags off the bike.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #314
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

I got the five star mounts from Twisted Throttle and plan to get Givi monokeys. They seem the most cross-platform, so I can use them with future bikes as well as the Dub (which I seriously doubt I will ever sell).
Old 05-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #315
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
What are you doing for bags? I've been pondering this question. The LeatherLyke stuff looks pretty cool and the mounts are stealth with the bags off the bike.
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote