Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #406
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,483
Been riding the W a lot lately as the Tiger has been down for repairs (waiting on a new master cylinder to come in). Still love it. Still needs better suspension.

I found out that my front end shimmy at around 40 mph was due to -- duh -- underinflated front tire. Gotta keep a better eye on those tire pressures.

Still awaiting resolution on my cracked luggage rack. I've been corresponding with TwistedThrottle who has been corresponding with Five Stars to get the rack covered under warranty. Five Stars' initial response was to not cover it under warranty because they claimed that this type of failure was caused by overloading and excessive vibrations. I sent back to TT a thorough and detailed explanation as to why that was not the case. Still waiting to hear back on that (from Five Stars, not TT) and will advise.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #407
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,236
Someone posted some info about a proposed W800.

ADV thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614615

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #408
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,983
My local Kawasaki dealer said the W800 is coming for sure.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #409
Tenacious B
inward singer

Oddometer: 487
Looking back, I'm regretting the sale of my W just a bit.

If they really do bring the 800, I hope it has the character and authenticity of the W650 (and better suspension). The engine was a real gem and sounded excellent; as reliable as any other Japanese bike, too.
Tenacious B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #410
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
I put a set of hagons in back- transformed the handling. Amazing.

If anyone has read back a couple pages, I finally figured out -after buying a part I didn't need- that EBC puts a metal backing on the pad already. D'uh...

Sometimes it prevents squealing, sometimes not. I probably just need to wait until the last second and then brake harder.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #411
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Another Wrider...

This was the last place I expected to see a W conversation but then again ADV never ceases to amaze. Had one of the first bikes imported into CA. A Y2K. Best place I know for information is the Yahoo group. Our W only has a bit over 5K on the clock but runs like a top from day one. Only $ spent were for one battery just little over a year ago. Nothing more fun than kicking it over at the gas station next to gaggle of HD's. The one thing I've not gotten around to doing is removing the CA EPA crap and shimming the needle. That will help a lot and really clean up the looks. It's not hot rod but the smoothness of the clutch, engine and gearbox makes it easy to get hole shots and split traffic with surgical precision. Of the bikes we own the W would be one of the last to go. Heard the bike's problem was a price point in the same league as the sport bike 600's which kept it from doing well. If in fact they do bring an 800 version it's got to be priced right. Triumph has done a great job of resurrecting the genre after the W "kick started" it. Good to see the enthusiasm still there!
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:20 AM   #412
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,637
SuperBrace

Just bought a SuperBrace and put it on. Very nicely made (I waited for one that was anodized black). Also very easy installation. Took my time, sorted my tools . . . . and still took about 3 minutes.

And the handling . . . . . Tranformed! (Text taken from my post on the Yahoo W Group).

Was able to take a short ride last night, including some streets and roads with good bumps in the corners that I ride often, on mulitple bikes. Got it up to about 85mph briefly (don't ask). Several left-right-left transitions. A fair amount of weaving in the street when it was safe.

OMG. What a difference! The Hagon's and Race Tech parts really helped, but the fork brace is icing on the cake. No wiggles felt, even over hard bumps when leaned over. On the gas, off the gas--didn't seem to make a difference. Shifting butt and weight from one side to the other--no wiggles. Transformed from a nice, retro, but take-it-easy-on-the-corners bike to one that feels really good in a lean.

Wow, wow, and triple wow. Or maybe I should say "Superwow."

I note there've been some postings on the Yahoo Group about Superbrace not making any more of these braces. Don't know about that, but when I talked to the owner in August, he said they were just starting a production run. So maybe he waits for some demand or backorders to build up . . . ? Since there's only a finite number of W's in existance, it doesn't make good business sense to have a bunch of expensive parts in stock where demand is limited by definintion.

But if you want to make a noticable difference in the way your W handles, this really worked for me.

List of Mods:

Lower Bar (BikeMaster Superbike model)
Exhaust gas marble mod
Needles shimmed
Airscrews adjusted
Hagon rear shocks
Race Tech fork springs and Gold Valve emulators.
SuperBrace fork brace

ORexpat screwed with this post 09-24-2010 at 06:23 AM
ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:03 AM   #413
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

Dubya superbike?

ORexpat - sounds like you've made that thing into a real superbike. Like everything you've done to it but not sure about the exhaust gas marble mod? I still haven't done the carb work and smog can removal which is mandatory on CA model. Do you have a link to the guy making the braces? Might see if he's still one left? This bike is a keeper so may as well give her a little TLC.
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR
Old 09-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #414
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by folmonty
ORexpat - sounds like you've made that thing into a real superbike. Like everything you've done to it but not sure about the exhaust gas marble mod? I still haven't done the carb work and smog can removal which is mandatory on CA model. Do you have a link to the guy making the braces? Might see if he's still one left? This bike is a keeper so may as well give her a little TLC.
Here's the link. One time when I called the customer support number, the owner answered . . . . think it's a pretty small company.

http://www.superbrace.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4442

The marble mod . . . . I was way too lazy to remove the smog stuff, so I just stuffed a marble in the hose on top of the valve cover that leads forward to the exhaust manifolds. Has the same effect without removing anything. I don't want to modify the engine or make radical changes to the air filter/exhaust system--reading the dyno results in the Yahoo Group posts suggests you don't get much, and it looks like it's easy to screw it up and actually lose power and ride-ability. So I've stuck with the simple adjustments, and the suspension.

ORexpat screwed with this post 09-24-2010 at 06:26 AM
Old 09-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #415
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

Dubya's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat
Here's the link. One time when I called the customer support number, the owner answered . . . . think it's a pretty small company.

http://www.superbrace.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4442

The marble mod . . . . I was way too lazy to remove the smog stuff, so I just stuffed a marble in the hose on top of the valve cover that leads forward to the exhaust manifolds. Has the same effect without removing anything. I don't want to modify the engine or make radical changes to the air filter/exhaust system--reading the dyno results in the Yahoo Group posts suggests you don't get much, and it looks like it's easy to screw it up and actually lose power and ride-ability. So I've stuck with the simple adjustments, and the suspension.
Got it. Thanks. Agree completely with your philosophy on this bike.
Photobucket
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR
Old 09-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #416
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

My Wride

Kind of artsy pix with interesting backdrop. Taken at Treasure Island.
Photobucket
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR
Old 09-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #417
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Nice Photo!

I like the "artsy" effect. Very cool photograph--thanks for sharing!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #418
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat
List of Mods:

Lower Bar (BikeMaster Superbike model)
Exhaust gas marble mod
Needles shimmed
Airscrews adjusted
Hagon rear shocks
Race Tech fork springs and Gold Valve emulators.
SuperBrace fork brace
Other than having Progressive 412s on the rear and a factory euro-spec bar, I've had the same mods on mine for this entire riding season. Also BT 45s, which honestly made the most difference of any change. Handles awesome now, almost as good as my stock ducati. Hmm, maybe I'll go for a lunchtime ride on my Dub...

I also have braided brake lines up front and bar end weights w/bar end mirrors.

hockeygoon screwed with this post 09-24-2010 at 10:56 AM
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #419
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Got an e-mail from SuperBrace. One silver and 6 black anodized models in stock for the W. Next production run will likely not be until sometime in 2011.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #420
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,483
Took the W out on a long day ride in upstate New York yesterday, prob close to 300 miles total. Love this bike, performed flawlessly as it always does. Can't say the same for my Zumo which has been acting flakey lately.

The BT-45s are real nice tires. The trip yesterday reinforced my need for a little suspension work but it was a pleasant ride nonetheless. It was a 2-up ride all day with lots of back road bombing and some highway heading out of the city. The bike gave me a solid 54 mpg as a reward on that tank.

The front brake could be better too, especially when 2-up. May go ahead and upgrade to those EBC HH pads (which I have and love on the Tiger) instead of waiting for the stockers to wear out.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote