Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #436
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,297
The sales brochure mentions that some formerly plastic parts are now metal, like the side covers and the headlight shell. They'd be nice to have if they fit, among others.

Whether they bring it here or not, I won't stop loving my 650.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #437
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66
The sales brochure mentions that some formerly plastic parts are now metal, like the side covers and the headlight shell. They'd be nice to have if they fit, among others.

Whether they bring it here or not, I won't stop loving my 650.
The W650 side covers are already metal. At least they are on mine. Or am I just being stupid now?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #438
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
the headlight shell is plastic on the w650?
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #439
ObtuseMoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
Also the W800 headlight shell is body-colored instead of completely chromed. I always liked the fully chromed one on the W650, like being able to see the sky reflected in it when I'm bombing down the road.
I agree completely. Other than the badges and the same hope that aftermarket parts options increase (and fit the 650's), the only thing that I am immediately envious about is the alloy rear brake housing versus the standard black paint that's on ours.

Quote:
The W650 side covers are already metal. At least they are on mine. Or am I just being stupid now?
Remember, they sold them through 2007 in Asia and other parts of the world. Easy to imagine such changes as possible in the later model years outside the US.

ObtuseMoose screwed with this post 10-01-2010 at 04:25 PM
ObtuseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #440
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:
Nope, you're right. They passed the magnet test, the head light shell did not .

For some reason I thought the side covers were plastic too.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #441
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
New old Dubya

Good job Speedo66. Let's see who gets the carbs done first? Mine has the extra CA BS which we pay more for. Shimming and taking off the air screw cap are really the only thing which really helps. Had mine on all these years but it does suffer from lean carbonation. It's just a sweet little bike you'll ride more than you think. Only thing I had to buy in 10 years is one battery. Yep, just one! Freaking amazing!
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #442
SubLo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Well, first post on ADVrider. Live in NYC suburbs and commute 18 miles daily mostly to Manhattan on my steed, but sometimes Jersey City and way out on Long island. 39 here. Been riding on/off since the 70's on cubs, minis, and CT70s. Been through many a bike

Anyway, I was riding my trusty VFR down the FDR a couple of weeks ago and almost completely wiped out after seeing a stunning green Bonnie that I immediately knew looked suspiciously not exactly like a Bonnie. To boot, there was a cute chick riding it...

Getting home and doing some research revealed the Dub. I was hooked! I had to have one. After 2 weeks of excessive trolling and research, I just bought this one on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

It's in transport and I can't wait to start modding... yeah, I can't leave anything I own alone - have to tinker
SubLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #443
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Welcome!

Wow, that is good price, even with those miles. They are fun bikes.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #444
SubLo
Adventurer

Thanks! I hope so. I took a risk here but discussed the bike in depth with the previous owner. Worst case, I figure I can rebuild the top-end and such.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #445
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubLo
Thanks! I hope so. I took a risk here but discussed the bike in depth with the previous owner. Worst case, I figure I can rebuild the top-end and such.
Has he or she indicated if the engine was ever apart?

If not, nice to know they can get that kind of miles on them.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #446
SubLo
Adventurer

I bought it from the second owner who, no, did no rebuilds or any other significant work other than regular maintenance and no component replacement. He bought it with 50K miles from the original owner and is unaware of that kind of work being done previously.

I was pretty leery originally. But when weighing price vs what I'm getting (a hard to find, soon to be classic bike in great condition albeit with high-mileage) combined with my tinkering and mechanical engineering background, I'm not TOO worried

I've seen Viffers and a couple of Bimmers with over 100K that still look and run great. After maybe 10 bikes in my lifetime, I've never owned anything with even 20K miles. So this is new ground for me. But, since I plan to tastefully modify this thing anyway, I'm looking at it as a project to begin with. I plan on ditching and selling the hard bags, testing some 400x18 and 400/450x19 classic tires , lowering all around, testing drag or low bars, performing the baffle-ectomy, jetting, high-flow intake, debadging, and maybe getting a VD aluminum tank and a couple of other things...
Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #447
ObtuseMoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
I've seen Viffers and a couple of Bimmers with over 100K that still look and run great. After maybe 10 bikes in my lifetime, I've never owned anything with even 20K miles. So this is new ground for me.
One of the London-based Wriders over on the Yahoo group just posted pics of his odometer turning 100K miles a couple of weeks ago. They definitely can run the distance, if given the chance. Sounds like some great plans for yours; I'll be eager to see progress reports since I am in process on many of the same types of changes on mine.
ObtuseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #448
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Welcome SubLo

Quote:
I bought it from the second owner who, no, did no rebuilds or any other significant work other than regular maintenance and no component replacement. He bought it with 50K miles from the original owner and is unaware of that kind of work being done previously.

I've seen Viffers and a couple of Bimmers with over 100K that still look and run great. After maybe 10 bikes in my lifetime, I've never owned anything with even 20K miles. So this is new ground for me. But, since I plan to tastefully modify this thing anyway, I'm looking at it as a project to begin with. I plan on ditching and selling the hard bags, testing some 400x18 and 400/450x19 classic tires , lowering all around, testing drag or low bars, performing the baffle-ectomy, jetting, high-flow intake, debadging, and maybe getting a VD aluminum tank and a couple of other things...
Good find SubLow and well bought. Impressed by some of the mileage reports of the W. Of the new model bikes I've ever bought without knowing anything about them The W650 and Triumph T509 Speed Triple are both wonderful machines. The one that bit me was a Victory V92C. Don't ask about me about that one.

Something else about the W is kind of funny. Your W has the bevel cam drive and your VFR doesn't. That's the one thing I always loved about the VFR. Don't misunderstand, they're great bikes but Honda took lots of crap about doing away with it. My guess is they'd have sold way more leaving it as was and not tinkering with the fuel intake. Can't say I'm a fan of the new VFR. The 1200.

Keep us informed on your progress and welcome to this corner of ADV.
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR

folmonty screwed with this post 10-07-2010 at 03:51 PM
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #449
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:

I was pretty leery originally. But when weighing price vs what I'm getting (a hard to find, soon to be classic bike in great condition albeit with high-mileage) combined with my tinkering and mechanical engineering background, I'm not TOO worried

Don't know if you're familiar with this site. http://www.w650shop.de/

He's got some nice stuff, a little pricey though.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #450
SubLo
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66
Don't know if you're familiar with this site. http://www.w650shop.de/

He's got some nice stuff, a little pricey though.
Yep! I've had that one, CaptainJakes, VD, Deus, Coker, kawasakiw650.co.uk, IanChadwick and a few others bookmarked for a week or two in anticipation

I think the Deus Bloonok is the look I like the best so far though I will obviously have my own spin.... nothing crazy - mild mods... "old" look/and feel, not too much in the bling department - not my style. The only things about the Bloodnok that bother me are the front disc and the relatively high bars.