Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #481
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,483
Hey I wasn't planning to mention this again but the original ad got nuked (because I posted for a friend). So now my friend Vanessa has registered with ADV, posted her ad, and her bike is still for sale. Also there's a video!

Click HERE if you are interested in a super clean 2000 W650 with less than 8300 miles located in north Jersey.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #482
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,637
The bike is gorgeous, but not half as gorgeous as the current owner.

Tell her to keep it an' go ridin'!!

ORexpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #483
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
my w650

been trying to get my pics to post but I'm obviously too stupid to figure it out. so if interested you can hit this flickr link and see my w650 with slight bobber mods. with the exception of the seat and paint I can still return it to mainly stock but am sorely tempted to shorten the rear fend by a few inches. http://www.flickr.com/photos/2274823...7625235691577/
so i'm curious to hear the reactions of those of you who are interested in the w650. do you think i've bastardized it or tastefully done some subtle mods?
Clint Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #484
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,239
Sadly, I put my beloved W650 to sleep for the winter a couple of days ago. Although I ride all year round, living in NY I cannot in good conscience allow it's beauty to be ravaged by road salt. I have other bikes to ride for the winter.

So the oil and filter were changed, fuel stabilizer added, battery maintainer attached, and a shroud (sheet) placed over it.

Hibernate well dear Kaw, see you in the spring.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #485
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Speedo, did you drain the carbs, or do you just leave it with the fuel stabilizer in?
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #486
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post
Speedo, did you drain the carbs, or do you just leave it with the fuel stabilizer in?
I didn't drain the carbs. What I did last year was to start it every so often in my shed, just to keep the fuel moving through the carbs.

I had bad luck with fuel fouling the carbs on my previous SV650 to the point of having to have them rebuilt twice, so I'll just run it every so often to keep the fuel from caking up. Maybe not the best solution, but it seemed to work.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #487
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,483
Well I've pulled the trigger and put my W650 up for winter storage at a local motorcycle shop. Last winter it sat outside under a cover all winter but that doesn't offer enough protection from the elements to keep corrosion at bay.

That plus it's getting a little chilly to ride it these days given that it has no weather protection of any kind. Winter duty now falls to the Tiger what with its windshield, hand guards, heated grips, and more powerful charging system to support that Gerbing's jacket.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #488
equ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I took my W (and what is now my girlfriend's suzuki tu250) on what could be this year's last ride last week. My condo garage is quite good for storage as it is dry and semi-heated. They were both so fun to ride...

We'll see how my first winter of motorcycle ownership goes. I'm generally very careful to not be in salt/winter conditions for my sports car but I don't pack it away. I pick dry days of the winter and drive it as much as I can. I'll try the same with the bikes. The W is in museum condition (never in rain it seems) and I'd like to keep it as such.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #489
Speedo66
Transient

I feel the same. Mine is pretty nice, and as much as I like it, I do ride all winter if the road is dry, and my other bike reflects that. So the W will sit the winter out.

That just means you need another (winter beater) bike.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #490
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Glad my Dub has a kick starter. The cold weather lately sapped the battery enough that it wouldn't start, but a few kicks later and it was up and running.

Quick 15 minute ride to get the bike up to temp and recharge the battery.

My Harley just sits there and clicks. I need to get a battery tender...
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #491
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Took my Dub out for a ride today--grocery store and Starbucks. I like to ride the stable at least every week or two when the snow and ice recede a bit. It's been a couple of weeks since I last started the Dub, and the weather's been cold as hell. But--I do use a battery tender and it started right up. Took a while to get to an operating temp where it would idle, though. (Air temp's about 35 degrees or so. Felt warmer).

I also built a fused link, attaches to the battery tender link, and lets me use a heated vest. Nice, on a nekkid bike.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #492
MelloFellow
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Baffled?

Hi and Happy New Year to All!

I have been enjoying this thread since picking up my 2000 W in early december and as I am in the great white North I have been going over my fine machine while waiting for the thaw.
Great info here and at the Yahoo site for W's but what I was wondering was, would anyone have a pic of a Stock un-baffle-ectomied set of pipes from the rear?

I think the PO "MAY" have puilled the baffles at some point but would like to confirm. I have seen some Japanese sites on this but the pipes appear different than the stock Sausage pipes.

Thanks folks for the great reading!

Cheers,
Jeff
MelloFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #493
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Talking Baffled!

Here ya go! The first photo is of both mufflers. I've read that it's easy to remove the baffles, just grind off a spot weld . . . . well, on these I don't think it looks too easy. The baffles are a really tight fit and I don't see the big spot weld that are in some photos.

Here's a close-up of one muffler. You can see the baffle in place. I slid a tape measure up until it hit the end . . . (OK, no off-color jokes here . . . . ). About 11.5 inches to the first baffle plate.

Sorry about the dirt on the bike . . . as you can see from my earlier post, the weather's often good enough to ride fairly often here in the DC area. Love this bike. (Anybody want to buy my Wee Strom? Posted in Flea Market. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649202).

Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #494
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Took the Watchless out today for a while. Covered in splattered mud. Looks great, too. think of it as patina.

Anyhoo- this has been driving me nuts for a long time;
Has anyone diabled that stinky neutral helper/finder thing that lets the light come on when it's still in gear? I've never had trouble finding neutral in my life- until now.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #495
Phang
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
ORexpat, I believe the silencer of your muffler has already been removed.

This is the cutaway photo of a W650 muffler which I saved in my computer a couple of years ago. Left being the engine side and right being the muffler tip. The silencer is the smaller diameter perforated tube you see on the right side of the photo

Phang

Phang is offline   Reply With Quote