Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #571
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Did you go with the "road" shocks or "custom" shocks, and what was the difference?
The only difference it seems is the finish on the shock body. "Road" has a black finish and "custom" has a chrome finish.

The stock shocks on the W have a chrome body with a black spring and black top shroud. I hate the chrome shock body because when it starts to corrode or get nasty, you can't really get in there to clean it up because of the spring.

So I went for the black shock body with chrome spring and chrome top shroud (Hagon doesn't have a black top shroud). This way I hope to keep the black & chrome balance roughly in the same place it was before while making the thing easier to clean.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #572
The Jerk OP

Well, that was quick. Next day as promised.

The Jerk screwed with this post 10-15-2011 at 05:04 PM
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #573
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Hagon Shocks

[QUOTE=The Jerk;15483051 Well, that was quick. Next day as promised.]

Super quick! Live next door or something? Please let me know what you think. Was ready to do the same but have heard a few comments on them giving a pretty stiff ride. Couple of guys I know went from 20kb to 18kg and lastly to 16kg springs. Even that was stiff according to them. Thinking if you can set the sag correct then things should be good to go. Looking forward to your 2 cents. What springs did you get?

Also contacted Progressive today but not getting the feeling that's the way to go.

Found 50/50 split on the progressive front springs (either Progressive, Hagon or RT) used with the RT emulators. I'm doing it with progressive springs myself. Can always change back without too much difficulty. Funny the RT valves are the same number for my KLR and W. Got two. Found them for $136.50 + free shipping. Not too bad. Springs were $61.

Congratulations - Monty
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #574
The Jerk OP

[QUOTE=folmonty;15483177]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk;15483051 Well, that was quick. Next day as promised.

Super quick! Live next door or something?
They are in Connecticut and I'm in Brooklyn so I guess I got my order in early enough in the day.

Quote:
Please let me know what you think. Was ready to do the same but have heard a few comments on them giving a pretty stiff ride. Couple of guys I know went from 20kb to 18kg and lastly to 16kg springs. Even that was stiff according to them. Thinking if you can set the sag correct then things should be good to go. Looking forward to your 2 cents. What springs did you get?
They recommended the 110 lb/20 kg springs based on all the info I supplied. Hope they're not too stiff but I guess we'll see. I probably won't be able to install them until the weekend.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #575
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,490
Thanks for the info on the shocks. Nice looking to say the least.

Waiting for the ride report.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #576
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 606
Hagons

I've had my Hagons for about six years. I went with the fully shrouded type with 16kg springs for my 150 lb weight. They are still rather stiff but I believe appropriate for the W650. They originally came with 20kg springs as set up by Dave Quinn for my weight. The bike felt like a hard tail on the softest preload. I sent them back for the 16kg spring. DQ was very easy to deal with. These are not premium shocks but an improvement over stock. I'm satisfied with them and feel they suit the bike well.

acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #577
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
I've had my Hagons for about six years. I went with the fully shrouded type with 16kg springs for my 150 lb weight. They are still rather stiff but I believe appropriate for the W650. They originally came with 20kg springs as set up by Dave Quinn for my weight. The bike felt like a hard tail on the softest preload. I sent them back for the 16kg spring. DQ was very easy to deal with. These are not premium shocks but an improvement over stock. I'm satisfied with them and feel they suit the bike well.
Crap. I weigh about the same as you so after reading the above, I know I'm gonna have to send them back. Oh well, I'll try them out this weekend and see how bad it is. At least they're easy enough to remove/install
Old 03-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #578
The Jerk OP

Quote:
I've had my Hagons for about six years. I went with the fully shrouded type with 16kg springs for my 150 lb weight. They are still rather stiff but I believe appropriate for the W650.
If you had to do it again would you stay with the 16 or do you think you'd go even softer? I mean you've had the 16 for 6 years so the stiffness must not be bothering you that much.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #579
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

The Jerk and I are in the same boat. Waiting to hear what he says about the 20kg springs but have heard the same as you describe. IYO if the combined rider weight was 300 lbs would you spec 16kg or ? BTW, those full shrouds look the shit on the W. Very nice!
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR
Old 03-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #580
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
If you had to do it again would you stay with the 16 or do you think you'd go even softer? I mean you've had the 16 for 6 years so the stiffness must not be bothering you that much.
I definitely would not go softer as I do load the hard bags sometimes. I feel that the old school frame, wheel, tire combo needs a firm rear suspension for stability. Also, the fixed rebound damping will not be suitable for a large the range of spring stiffness.

The spring covers look cool but have one drawback - they squeak.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #581
The Jerk OP

acap, thanks for your insight. I should be able to install the shocks either tomorrow or Sunday and do some test riding but based on your feedback I'm anticipating that I'll have to send them back and swap out for the 16s. I'm curious to see just how stiff the 20s are.

I don't have saddlebags but I do sometimes load up the top case and/or have a passenger, which is when the stock shocks get pretty iffy.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #582
The Jerk OP

OK so I got the new shocks installed easily enough. They are basically the same size as the stock shocks, only very slightly longer, perhaps because the stock ones are old and somewhat worn. When I say very slightly, I mean VERY slightly - as in just barely enough to not be able to get the bottom bolt started because the hole in the shock mount and the hole in the shock bushing didn't *quite* line up. Had to remove the other shock and then manually lift up on the swingarm to get things lined up. No biggie.

I observed upon removing the stock shocks that I was able to compress them very slightly by hand. Not so with the Hagons. The Hagons feel a bit more substantial and a little heavier compared to the stockers.

Upon sitting on the bike, I noticed the seat height is slightly higher - this is because the Hagons don't compress as much under my + the bike's weight. They are set on the lowest preload setting.

My initial test ride was a beer run over to Fairway in Red Hook. This involves a short highway segment followed by surface streets with various potholes, depressed manhole covers, etc. into Red Hook which is an old shipping district which has streets in pretty bad shape to include lots of old poorly maintained cobblestone with big dips and bumps - the kind of stuff you would stand up on the pegs for.

I was expecting the ride to be rock hard based upon the feedback I read in this thread but I was...pleasantly surprised. The ride is firm but not unduly so. The bike felt very planted. Small bumps were dealt with smoothly, not jarringly. Larger bumps/potholes were handled similarly - whereas the stock shocks would blow through their travel the Hagons handled the bumps well and didn't rattle my kidneys or fillings. The rear end felt very planted and composed at all times and I never felt jarred or rattled. I picked up a 12 pack of beer at Fairway and put it in the top case - the extra weight didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I think I might keep this spring rate. I still need to test with a passenger and see how it handles that but being that I'm on the lowest preload setting, I don't see it being an issue.

Haven't been able to measure sag yet either (nobody around to assist).

They seem to feel pretty great. I'm gonna go do some more test riding to make sure.

One thing these shocks certainly bring to the fore is how desperately the front end now needs attention.

Also they certainly look the business:

The Jerk screwed with this post 10-15-2011 at 05:05 PM
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #583
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

New suspenders

Good news. Happy they're working out so far. Keeping an ear open as you test a bit more. Thanks for the post!
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR
Old 03-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #584
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Those look sharp on your W. Sounds like you found a good fit.

It was nippy out there today, but I went for backroad ride anyway. Always puts a smile on my face, the W is such an easy bike to ride.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #585
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,728

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote