Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #586
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
OK, got on the phone with Race Tech today and now have some springs & emulators heading this way. Also ordered all the one-use-only fork internal bits from BikeBandit.

Getting ready for a fun season with this bike.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #587
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Hello fellow W owners. Does anyone have experience with dual sport tires on their W? I am looking for something that will work ok in the sand roads and still be ok on road. Obviously tires are always a compromise and this one is definitely that. Kenda 761's? Shinko 705's?
Thanks,
Barry
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #588
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,119
Put 50 miles on the W yesterday, around Westchester Co, NY and lower CT. Ran great, always fun to remember what a nice bike this is after some time off it.

Snow forecast, figured I'd better get a ride in.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #589
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
You can try MEFO's. i had a set on my 2008 Bonnie and they worked just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
Hello fellow W owners. Does anyone have experience with dual sport tires on their W? I am looking for something that will work ok in the sand roads and still be ok on road. Obviously tires are always a compromise and this one is definitely that. Kenda 761's? Shinko 705's?
Thanks,
Barry
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #590
The Jerk OP

Update on the Hagons: I've been able to get a lot of riding done lately including riding with passengers and I'm really impressed by the way in which the Hagons have transformed the handling of the bike, making it much more stable, especially with a passenger on board. Bumps are handled better and the bike feels more planted around the corners, especially bumpy ones.

Only two very minor issues to be aware of: a previous poster with Hagons mentioned that the shrouds on his squeaked. Mine weren't squeaking initially but after getting some miles on, they have begun to squeak a little. It's quiet enough that you can't really hear it when the engine is running unless you're going really slow over a big bump. The other issue is that one of the shrouds has taken to vibrating intermittently when the bike is warming up on the choke at high idle. Kinda makes a sound like a bell that you can't quite tell where it's coming from. Tracked it to the shroud on the right side shock because the sound stopped when I grabbed the shroud.

Neither of these things is worth sending them back for. However if I had to do it again, or if you decide to get the Hagons, it's probably best to avoid the shrouds (full or half) unless you don't mind a little extra noise.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #591
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
W suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Update on the Hagons: I've been able to get a lot of riding done lately including riding with passengers and I'm really impressed by the way in which the Hagons have transformed the handling of the bike, making it much more stable, especially with a passenger on board. Bumps are handled better and the bike feels more planted around the corners, especially bumpy ones.
Good news! Glad they're working as planned. Kind of funny that they're squeaking a little. If memory serves me, that was a trademark of the old Gerlings which Hagon is modeled after.

Also purchased a RT gold valve set for installation but haven't performed the deed yet. Noticed you purchased their springs. Would you mind checking the length of them to your stock ones when you tackle that? Comparison to Progressive and Hagon springs would be interesting.
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #592
equ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Went on a night ride yesterday with the nice weather we've been having.. BUT

I felt like my headlight sucked, big time. The low beam was kind of nice and highish, but still not enough for 35mph+. The high beam seemed off, both seemed not bright or uniform, especially the high seemed to have a strange pattern. My other bike, the 09 suzuki tu250 is much better in this regard.

What are the steps? Should I try adjusting level first? Would newer/stronger bulbs help or should I replace the whole shebang? I will keep exterior look stock.
equ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #593
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Wub lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post

I felt like my headlight sucked, big time. The low beam was kind of nice and highish, but still not enough for 35mph+. The high beam seemed off, both seemed not bright or uniform, especially the high seemed to have a strange pattern. My other bike, the 09 suzuki tu250 is much better in this regard.

What are the steps? Should I try adjusting level first? Would newer/stronger bulbs help or should I replace the whole shebang? I will keep exterior look stock.
Good question equ. I no longer ride at night but would look into the many different bulb selections before changing out the whole bucket. Also park in front of a wall or garage door to check aim of the beam to make best use of what's there. I've not seen this topic discussed.
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #594
The Jerk OP

In my experience the W650 headlight is quite good (perhaps why the topic has not been discussed, or no one rides their W at night). Perhaps an adjustment is in order for your bike. Adjustment is super simple, loosen the bolts on the side of the bucket for vertical adjustment and the screw on the front of the headlight bezel for horizontal.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #595
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post

I installed a HID bulb in mine and it works great. In fact it is far and away a better headlight than the one on the Bonnie. The HID didn't help the Bonnie much and for some reason it burns out after a short time. The W has the nice screw adjustment under the bucket that holds the light where you set it where as with the Bonnie you loosen the bolts on each side of the headlight and hope you don't move the light before you can get them tightened. In defence of the Bonnie it does use a metal bucket where the W is plastic. My chrome is begining to blister.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #596
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by folmonty View Post
Noticed you purchased their springs. Would you mind checking the length of them to your stock ones when you tackle that? Comparison to Progressive and Hagon springs would be interesting.
OK so the Race Tech straight-wound fork springs come in at 13.5" on the nose:

I'll have to measure the stock ones when I do the swap.

The Jerk screwed with this post 10-15-2011 at 04:06 PM
Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #597
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
In my experience the W650 headlight is quite good (perhaps why the topic has not been discussed, or no one rides their W at night). Perhaps an adjustment is in order for your bike. Adjustment is super simple, loosen the bolts on the side of the bucket for vertical adjustment and the screw on the front of the headlight bezel for horizontal.
Do not loosen the side bolts to adjust, there are free nuts inside the bucket and you will need to remove the bulb unit to tighten them. Just do as rider929 suggests and turn the vertical adjusting screw below the headlight.

If it does not seem very bright it may need to be cleaned inside - remove bulb unit and reflector, clean reflector and lense.

To really increase brightness, change to a better bulb, PIAA or Sylvania Silver Star. Or better yet, a headlight relay will increase voltage to the bulb to increase brightness. The best kit for doing this is from easternbeaver.com. I installed one in my DR and it is noticeably brighter.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #598
The Jerk OP

Yeah that's my bad, I forgot about the vertical adjuster under the bucket. Sorry, it's been too long since I adjusted mine.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #599
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,119
I live on a country road with no streetlights, and I've found the W's headlight to be one of the better ones out there.

If it's not bright enough, I would start by checking the grounds for a good contact.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #600
equ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Thanks for the thoughts folks, I'll go in order of ease, start out with adjusting, then move to bulbs, ground checks...
equ is online now   Reply With Quote