Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #601
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,206
Just came across this thread....I don't have one but those W's are beautiful bikes. Everything about them is just plain motorcycle perfect...well...they could use a little more grunt but who cares...I love the Triumph Bonnie as well, but it doesn't have a kicker like God intended motorcycles to have.

Here's my version of such motorcycles.....and thats my green H2 behind me (both have kickers).
Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 AM   #602
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,125
Very pretty Black Bomber! So you do ATGATT even when working on bikes?

I rode a friends H2 when they were new. That bike didn't accelerate as much as lurch forward in great leaps. Amazing bike, just had to watch for unintended wheelies!

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #603
KayTeeEm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hello

I posted an intro in the thumper section for my KTM, but I thought I'd stop in here too to say hello to my fellow W650 enthusiasts. Well, here she is in all her glory. See ya on the road somewhere!

Cheers,
Mike
KayTeeEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #604
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,629
Now that is one sweet lookin' Dubya. You ought to drop by the PVR Vintage Road Ride tomorrow.

http://www.potomacvintageriders.com/

1000 at Tri County Feeds, just east of Marshall.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #605
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
I was asked before to compare the length of the stock springs with the Race Tech springs. Well I finally got around to installing the Race Tech springs and cartridge emulators. The Race Tech springs come in at 13.5" and the stock springs are 16" long.

The Race Tech front end plus Hagon rear end makes it a whole different bike. Gonna put some miles on before I decide if adjustments need to be made but I'm very happy with it at the moment. No more bottoming out the front end hitting big potholes or humongous brake dive!
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #606
90R100GS
Wrench Turner

Oddometer: 260
Just came across this post after digging around locally for a W650.

I am very intrigued by this bike since I've been lusting after a Bonnie for a while. Any Maintence issues? Any parts interchangeability?

BTW: +1 for Van Sant Airport. I'm one of the few people that FLIES into that airport. Ever since a few motorcycle magazines began posting about it, its been a mobbed every sunny weekend.
89 Katana,01 Bandikat,90 R100GS,99 Tiger,92 FZR, Duke 2, Can-Am ASE250, 98 R1200C
90R100GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #607
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Probably the least maintenance issues of any bike around. If you go back through this forum, you'll see that most folks do some basic carb/suspension/handlebar mods and then just ride. Some do extensive customization. There's also a Yahoo Group (W650riders@yahoogroups.com) that's chock full of data, including extensive historical, background, and maintenance files.

Welcome aboard--now, go find that Dubya!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #608
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Mine just turned 26K this week end.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #609
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
I was asked before to compare the length of the stock springs with the Race Tech springs. Well I finally got around to installing the Race Tech springs and cartridge emulators. The Race Tech springs come in at 13.5" and the stock springs are 16" long.

The Race Tech front end plus Hagon rear end makes it a whole different bike. Gonna put some miles on before I decide if adjustments need to be made but I'm very happy with it at the moment. No more bottoming out the front end hitting big potholes or humongous brake dive!
Looks like you've got any suspension issues ironed out, nice!

How difficult was the front fork work?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #610
The Jerk OP

Hey Speedo66 I'll answer your question in more detail when I'm not at work but let me know next time you'll be at the Ear and I'll bring the W so you can try out the suspension for yourself.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #611
makeitwork
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Gents-

I'm a noob/new W650 owner and have the RaceTech springs/carts on the "to-do" list. As I look on bikebandit.com I see that there's 2 different setups-

http://www.bikebandit.com/race-tech-...40122&t=1&td=1

Which one's the move? Thanks in advance...
makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #612
The Jerk OP

The spring rates are different. Go to Race Tech's web site and use their spring rate calculator to find out which ones you should get for your weight.

The ones Race Tech suggested for me are not even on bikebandit. Mine were closer to .80 kg/mm. I think the two on the bikebandit site are the two stiffest options Race Tech offers.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #613
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Second that. Go direct to Race Tech. Superb service. Good advice.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #614
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
there is a 2000 w 650 on ebay now if anybody is lookin for one
Clint Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #615
The Jerk OP

OK the Race Tech suspension upgrade. I should have taken pics of all this stuff but it was rainy, cold and miserable so I didn't feel like it. To answer speedo66's question, there is nothing hugely technically complicated about the fork work but there are some gotchas and special tools that are handy to have around. Taking that into account and taking into account that I had never been into a set of forks before and didn't know what I was doing, I had the work done by ADV Legend and Hero Mechanic jdaniele. But before we got to that part, the pre-game: parts ordering.

I decided to go with Race Tech for the front end partly based upon their reputation as guys who know what they're doing with suspension and partly based on the recommendation of some trusted friends who were very happy with their work. I was also intrigued by their Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators for damper rod forks like the W650 has. I read up on them and the theory behind them makes sense to me. Also people seem to love the results.

Race Tech also does straight-rate springs for forks and their web site gives some good reasoning as to why they do that. The gist of it is that the oil level in the forks adds some progressiveness to the front end just by the nature of how it works. That is, when the forks are compressed, the oil compresses the air pocket at the top of the forks, giving kind of a built-in progressiveness which can be fine-tuned by adjusting the amount of oil in the forks (and consequently the size of the air pocket).

Race Tech also has a cool spring rate calculator on their web site that takes into account the bike's weight and your weight and then suggests the Race Tech recommended spring rate for you. It also shows the stock spring rate so you can compare. The stock spring rate for the W, according to them, is .620 kg/mm. Race Tech offers springs from .80 kg/mm to 1.0 kg/mm (and it looks like their spring rate calculator did not survive their web site upgrade as the section for the bike weight is currently missing and thus the calculator can't do it's job). For me they suggested the .80 kg/mm springs and I can tell you they're plenty stiff for my 150-lb weight. So I ordered up a set of those and a set of the gold valve emulators.

The emulators are tuneable in two ways: Race Tech supplies them with two sets of valve springs, one at 40 lbs/in. and one at 64 lb/in. Being a lighter guy I elected to install the softer springs. The emulators are also tuneable for preload on the valve springs. I went with their recommended two turns for street use as a baseline.

You also have to order all the one-use fork items to include inner and outer bushings, oil seals, dust seals, the spring clip seal retainer, and the copper washers for the allen bolts at the bottoms of the forks. Beware, I ordered all my stuff from bikebandit and it was all right except those copper washers - they were the wrong size. I don't know if it's an error in the parts fiche or if someone at bikebandit or Kawasaki grabbed the wrong baggie.

You also need some fork oil, 1 quart should cover both forks for the W650 - Kawi says 379 mL 4 mL for a dry fill which comes out to just under 1 quart. Race Tech recommended their 15 weight fork oil so I ordered some just because it was convenient given that I was ordering all the other stuff from them.

Getting the forks off the bike is easy enough and the service manual does a good job explaining how to do it. Once they're off, the tricky part is supporting the forks while working on them. JD has a cool rubber-clawed bench-mounted vise which supported the forks without scratching them up.

Another tricky bit is removing the allen bolt from the bottom. You need to fashion a tool to get down into the fork and stop the damper rod from turning. A couple nuts double-nutted onto a long threaded rod will do it. And maybe a third hand.

Once you get the bottom bolt out you can separate the inner and outer parts of the fork.

You then have to drill out the holes in the damping rods. Basically what you're doing is disabling the damping rods so that damping will be handled by the emulators. You do this by drilling out the existing damping rod holes to 5/16" and then adding more 5/16" holes until you have six holes total.

Basically at this point you clean everything up and then put it all back together with new bits. But since the Race Tech springs are about 2.5 inches shorter than stock, you gotta cut new preload spacers because the stock ones will be too short. Race Tech supplies a good length of aluminum tubing with the fork springs so you can cut new spacers.

So you gotta figure out how long they need to be. Race Tech's instructions are great and go in-depth into how to do this, but basically you reassemble the fork, put in the damping rod, emulator, spring, and washer, then extend the fork all the way and measure down to the top of the washer. Then you measure the length of the fork top cap. Then you subtract the length of the top cap from the inside length, which equals how long the spacer would have to be to have zero preload on the spring. Then you decide how much preload you want to have and cut the spacer to that length. Race Tech suggests a "standard preload" of 20mm but provide a typical range of 15 to 30mm or "extremes" of 5mm to 35mm. As they say, there's no magic number so pick a place to start and you can fine tune it in the future by changing the length of the spacers. I decided to go with the "standard" of 20mm, so the math was like this (these were not my exact numbers):

Inside length (155mm) - top cap length (15mm) = 140mm. That's my zero preload spacer length. If I want 20mm of preload, I add that to the 140mm and that = 160mm. So I need to cut the Race Tech tubing into two 160mm segments and those are my new preload spacers. JD had a nifty tubing cutter which was much neater and quicker than using a hacksaw would have been.

So you put it all back together with the new stuff, add fork oil, and put it all back on the bike and go for a ride.

You can later fine-tune the damping behavior of the emulators by removing them which you can do with the forks on the bike using a parts grabber. You can also fine-tune things with the weight of the fork oil and you can fine-tune the progressiveness with the quantity of fork oil. You can fine-tune the preload later by changing the length of the preload spacers. So there are plenty of variables to play with.

I'm very happy with it so far. Took a two-up ride to Bear Mountain on Sunday. The front end is a lot firmer and brake dive is much less. The bike handles big bumps better without blowing through the front end travel and bottoming out. It definitely is more confidence-inspiring in the curves.

I'm probably not a good enough rider to really benefit too much from messing around with all the variables so I'll put some miles on the "recommended" configuration and see how I like it and if some aspect of the setup needs attention I'll tweak it.

I never really knew how poor the stock suspension was until I put some good stuff on it. This is a dangerous (read: expensive) revelation.