Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #646
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 529
Fender crack prevention

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRider View Post
The only other problem I've had was the rear fender. The original fender cracked about half way between the back of the fender and the seat. I replaced the first fender after about 12,000 miles because of the crack, and the second (same design) fender cracked after another 10,000 miles. The third fender looks like a redesign that has a stiffener along each inside edge. I think that one will go the distance. The fenders are still available, but if you order one I would make sure they send you the redesigned one.
Anyone with an intact original fender can prevent a crack with a simple mod. Bend a 9 inch piece of allthread and attach it with JB Weld inside the fender as shown below. 20K miles so far no cracks.

acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #647
Phang
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Well done acap650!

The revised rear fender looks like this with a reinforcing strip spot welded onto it.

The photo was taken when I paint the underside of the fenders with Hammerite.

Phang

Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #648
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
Anybody have any experience with the Hepco-Becker luggage racks for the W650? My second Five Stars rear rack is on the way out already and I don't want to buy another one when it finally cracks again.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #649
equ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Any interest in NYC w650 peeps being out tonight? If it's not raining, I could make it in. About what time do you usually gather?
equ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #650
The Jerk OP

So I spent some time yesterday researching the W650 luggage situation. For hard luggage it looks like there are two basic options: Five Stars or Hepco & Becker.

Five Stars offers two items, a rear rack and side racks which are compatible with each other and can also be installed independently of each other. Both the rear and side racks mount Givi cases. They are available through TwistedThrottle as a special order item.

HB has three offerings: two rear racks and a complete rack kit comprised of side racks and a rear rack. One of the rear racks mounts all HB top cases. The other one is a mini rack and only mounts certain HB mini top cases. The complete rack mounts HB side cases and any HB top case.

I'm debating getting side racks or just sticking with a rear rack. Both the HB and Five Star side racks are uggggglyyyy without side cases mounted, which would be the vast majority of the time for me. Maybe I'll go for the HB rear rack and just restrict the W to solo touring duty with a top case and a dry bag strapped to the passenger seat, leaving the Tiger 800 to handle 2-up duty with 3-box luggage.

I want to get away from the Five Star rack because the first one I had cracked after only a few months and the 2nd one is poised to go the same way (I can see the same weld starting to crack already). It clearly can't handle what I want it to do, so hopefully the HB rack is built a little more robustly.

Then I can get the HB alu rack for the Tiger 800 and swap the HB top case between the two bikes. Then sell my Givi top case I suppose.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #651
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,631
Luggage Option

There's an alternative to old-school luggage; developed in the Northwest for dual sport bikes not configured or built for carrying conventional luggage. I've heard good reports about it.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

Give the site a look. You could put on a rear luggage rack, then use one of the smaller Giant Loop bags for longer trips. If I were to take my Dub on a long trip, I'd put one of those on before side racks.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #652
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Luggage Options

Have you looked at Leatherlyke?

leatherlyke.com

IIRC the owner purchased a W some time ago. Liked it so much he built some luggage for it!

It's still on their website. Looks good and not to expensive.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #653
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
I have the LeatherLyke bags on my W650 -- very convenient and they hold enough to suit me.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #654
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
I have the LeatherLyke bags on my W650 -- very convenient and they hold enough to suit me.
They look pretty nice. Can you take a pic of the mounting system? I wanna see if it would interfere with the HB top rack mount points. Also how are they as far as waterproofness?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #655
The Jerk OP

OK so I decided to go with the Hepco & Becker rear rack for the W650 and the HB Junior 45L top case. I'm also gonna get the HB alu rack for my T800 so I can swap top cases between the two bikes.

At some point in the future I may go for the LeatherLykes for the W650. It appears, based on their site, that it will work with a luggage rack.

I just couldn't bring myself to put a huge chrome rack system on the W. It just looks so awful. I wish Motech made a quick-release rack system for it but I know that's not gonna happen as the market is just not there (unless sales of the W800 take off miraculously).
Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #656
equ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
Interested in these (though at $459 they are bit pricey). Where do they mount to? I hope it doesn't use the grab handles.

The previous owner of my bike, took off the passenger grab bars. While I have them, I like the look without and have no desire to take off that mega nut on top of the rear shock just so I can put these handles back on.
equ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #657
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Interested in these (though at $459 they are bit pricey). Where do they mount to? I hope it doesn't use the grab handles.

The previous owner of my bike, took off the passenger grab bars. While I have them, I like the look without and have no desire to take off that mega nut on top of the rear shock just so I can put these handles back on.
On the web site it looks like there are two mount points, one which replaces the big nut on the top of the shock and another one which goes through the holes where the stock reflectors mount on the US models. So you get to keep the grab handles.

BTW taking off the top nut on the shock is cake.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #658
The Jerk OP

D'oh! Noticing my rear fender is starting to develop the crack. Guess it was never replaced with the updated version.

Add that to my project list...
Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 AM   #659
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
BTW taking off the top nut on the shock is cake.

Swapping the whole shock is "cake." Certainly don't let those nuts stop you from setting the bike up the way you like it. 17mm IIRC, easy.

Sweet Bird and I were able to change the springs on the Hagon shocks (takes four hands . . . ) in about 5 minutes. (Another shameless plug for Dave Quinn and his customer service).

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #660
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
... Both the HB and Five Star side racks are uggggglyyyy without side cases mounted, ...
That's a matter of personal taste/preference,etc. I happen to like the look:

The sideracks pretty much disappear with bags mounted:

Since I don't use a top case I don't keep the top rack mounted. Here's two shots of the rack:

A nice think about the rack on a W is that the rear rack crossmember can be used to stabilize the rear fender. I cut 1/8" aluminum plate the size of the license plate, mounted it behind the plate, drilled through both, and used P-clamps to attach to the crossmember. Without all the weight at the end of the fender flapping in the wind I doubt that I'll be seeing any cracks in the sides of the fender any time soon. Here's a shot from underneath:

Here's a bad photo of the bike:

husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote