User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #676
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
Kawi rescue mission: successful!

So yesterday was the W650 rescue mission. I had left it in the parking lot behind Domaney's liquor store on Main St. in Great Barrington, MA (with their permission). The guys at Domaney's were great and very hospitable. So when in Great Barrington, Make sure you buy all your beer, wine and liquor from them (seriously they have everything).

So I got a ride up from Brooklyn with my girlfriend Thaniya - we decided to make a little weekend trip of it. We left Brooklyn early Saturday morning and got into GB around 10:30 or so. Luckily the bike was right where I had left it and hadn't been messed with.

I moved it over into the shade and got to work. Thanks to local hero JD I came equipped with two new needle valves for the carbs as well as a spare float (just in case one of them was heavy) and two new float bowl gaskets.

I also brought up all my tools, the service manual, some carb cleaner, some canned air and anything else I thought I might need.

I took the airbox apart and took the gas-soaked air filter elements out and set them in the sun to dry.

Taking the airbox out is such a pain on this bike, mostly because of the electrical panel behind the left side cover.

Once I had the airbox out I decided to do a test, and turned the fuel tap to "prime" to see which carburetor the fuel was leaking from. No fuel came out. Hmm. That said to me that either the piece of shmutz that was blocking one of the needle valves had either dissolved in the gas over the course of the week or had become dislodged and moved into the float bowl. So maybe it would have started right up and run fine at that point but I was there so I decided to go all the way.

Took the carbs off and tore them down. No apparent crud in the float bowls. No apparent blockages of main or pilot jets. No apparent crud on the needle valves though they did show a line around the rubber tip rather like the picture in the manual showing a "bad" needle valve. So I put the new ones in since I had the whole thing apart anyway.

Both floats looked OK. JD had lent me a handy little float weight gauge which you hang the floats from separately to determine how much they weigh individually and in relation to each other. They both were the same weight and neither appeared to have any liquid inside. The one in the left carb did have some visible piece of solid junk inside the float so I decided to just replace that one.

The needle valves are secured to the floats by tiny little clips that clip onto the needle valves. I VERY CAREFULLY removed the clips from the old needle valves and put them on the new ones (if one of those things goes pinging off somewhere you'll never find it again). I took the carbs apart, blew everything out with compressed air, and put it all back together again. I took my time and made sure to do it right.

JD had also given me an inline fuel filter so while I had the carbs out I installed that into the line between the petcock and the carbs. I thought that the W had no filtering system for the fuel but according to the service manual there are screens in the tank for both the regular and reserve taps integral to the petcock itself.

When I turned the tap to Prime to fill the float bowls, I could see the fuel flowing through the filter and then could see it stop when the bowls were full. So at this point things were looking good.

I put it all back together and crossed my fingers for the moment of truth: Hit the starter button and it fired right up and settled into a normal idle right away. Didn't even need the choke (it was pretty warm out).

Let it run for a while to make sure all was well. Thaniya had procured a bottle of something delicious from the store as well as some jalapeño beef jerky. A celebratory drink was had.

So since it was running, I felt bold and decided to replace Speedo66's coil with my own old coil and see what happened. Sure enough, the bike started and ran fine on my own coil. Nothing was ever wrong with it.

Went for a little test ride and all was well. Success!

It was only about 1:30 at that point, so we headed downtown, walked around, did a little window shopping, etc etc. Eventually got checked into our hotel, then hit the local lake for some swimming and then the Brick House Pub in Housatonic for some dinner/beers. If you are ever in the area, check this place out! Great vibe and awesome burgers (I had the five alarm burger with jalapeño jack cheese, pickled jalapeño peppers and Sriracha mayo while Thaniya went for the Farmer's Burger with bacon, cheddar and a fried egg). Lots of great beers on tap as well.

The ride home today was fun if damp. Caught a little drizzle here and there on the way down but the roads were fantastic. Once we hit the Taconic it was pouring. That sure put to rest any doubts about either the coil or water getting into the tank. Did a good 80 miles in steady rain at highway speeds and ran without a hiccup.

Stopped by in Westchester to drop Speedo66's coil off so he can put his W back on the road. Speedo66, ever the gentleman, demanded that we come in and have lunch. Hey, it would be rude to turn down hospitality like that.

After a little nosh and some discussion of the local history, we were back on the road and made it home with no problems.

Credit for the success of this mission goes to JD, Speedo66 and Thaniya. Thanks so much!

Here's a pic from the surgery:

The Jerk screwed with this post 10-15-2011 at 04:13 PM
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #677
WikdBeemer
Older but still riding

Oddometer: 210
New W650 owner (2000 model)

Hi every one.

I recently got a 2000 W650 and love it.

My intention is to convert it to a cafe racer so naturally I have a few questions.

How much louder are the stock mufflers when the baffles are removed?
Does doing so require a re-jet?

I will eventually be removing the airbox/s and fitting pod filters so a re-jet will then be required, anyone done this and, if so, what filters did you use and what jetting settings did you end up with?

Third and final (for now), whats the best way to clean up the light corrosion on the ally casings without pulling down the whole engine?

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #678
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WikdBeemer View Post
Hi every one.

I recently got a 2000 W650 and love it.

My intention is to convert it to a cafe racer so naturally I have a few questions.

How much louder are the stock mufflers when the baffles are removed?
Does doing so require a re-jet?
The PO of my bike removed the baffles from the muffler. The stock W has a pretty good tone already. With the baffles removed, it's very quiet at idle but as soon as you open the throttle a bit, especially under load, it's kind of at the top edge of how loud you'd want to be without being a piece of shit.

Frankly having heard both I'd keep the stock but the stock mufflers de-baffled doesn't quite rise to obnoxious territory.

You definitely need a re-jet. The W is jetted lean from the factory and is just barely acceptable with the stock exhaust. The PO of my bike did not re-jet and it had an annoying lean surge on steady throttle (pilot circuit).

So if you de-baffle, at the very least you gotta change the pilot jets to 38 (stock is 35) and shim the needles.

You will probably have to do more when you get rid of the airbox.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #679
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post

..... Did a good 80 miles in steady rain at highway speeds and ran without a hiccup.

Stopped by in Westchester to drop Speedo66's coil off so he can put his W back on the road. Speedo66, ever the gentleman, demanded that we come in and have lunch. Hey, it would be rude to turn down hospitality like that.

After a little nosh and some discussion of the local history, we were back on the road and made it home with no problems.

Credit for the success of this mission goes to JD, Speedo66 and Thaniya. Thanks so much!

Here's a pic from the surgery:

Nice job, and applause for your mechanical skills! I'd still be there in the parking lot.

All's well that ends well, trite but true.

Good seeing you and Thaniya today, happy to provide a dry spot for awhile.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #680
The Jerk OP

Had a little "oh shit" moment last night as I was riding down 4th Ave. in Brooklyn and the bike started to cut out and lose power. I was like "not again" until I realized I was just hitting reserve. Paranoia strikes deep.

Now, has anyone well and truly removed the entire air injection system from the bike? Mine is currently disabled thanks to the old "marble in the hose" trick but it would be nice if there was a ready-made kit to completely eliminate the system, sort of like what's available for the Triumph Bonnevilles and Scramblers.

I figure the kit would need: a vacuum port cap (easy enough), an airtight plug to plug the hole in the top of the airbox, and blanking plates and gaskets for the two ports at the exhaust on the front of the cylinder head (or replacement caps without the inlet for the air system - no doubt these exist as Kawasaki parts in countries that did not require air injection).

Would be nice to get all that plumbing out of there - would clean up the area under the tank a bit. Anyone?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #681
Phang
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I have removed mine in the second month after I got the bike.

Parts that you need for this conversion:-

2 X Cylinder head cap (part# 11065-1135)
1 X rubber plug (part# 92066-1389) - to plug the hole in the airbox
1 X T fitting (part# 92005-1017)

On the second pic, you can see the entire air injection system removed as a complete unit and 2 reed valves that sandwiched between the caps and the cylinder head.

It looks cleaner between the tank and the cylinder after the removal.

Phang
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #682
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang View Post
Parts that you need for this conversion:-

2 X Cylinder head cap (part# 11065-1135)
1 X rubber plug (part# 92066-1389) - to plug the hole in the airbox
1 X T fitting (part# 92005-1017)
Phang, YOUDAMAN! That's exactly the info I needed. Now to see if I can get those parts in the U.S.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #683
Phang
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Phang, YOUDAMAN! That's exactly the info I needed. Now to see if I can get those parts in the U.S.
My pleasure

You may need to order the gaskets that sandwiched between the caps and the cylinder block. Considering the age of your bike, those gaskets may already baked on to the cap or cylinder head and will tear apart upon the removal of the old caps.

2 X gasket (part# 11060-1886)

Phang
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #684
Speedo66
Transient

Reinstalled the coil/spark plug wires and gas tank today, hooked up the fuel lines, and shockingly (based on my lack of mechanical abilities), it started and appears to be running fine.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #685
adoptamutt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Excessive Engine Vibration on W650

I bought a 2000 W650 in April and it seems to have too much engine vibration coming through the seat.... my butt tingles after just 10 miles ! Any ideas ?

Background: The bike has 37K miles, it's been rejetted, stock mufflers, air pump removed. It has Progressive fork springs installed, stock rear shocks set at the #4 setting, new Dunlop Arrowmax tires.

I had a 1992 TDM850 before, which is a 850cc parallel twin with a single counter balance shaft like the W650, but that engine was way smoother. I thought the smaller W650 would be smoother than the larger TDM motor.

My brother said perhaps the carbs need to be synch'ed. Anything else ? I have a Corbin Gunfighter seat installed. The worse high frequency vibration comes thru the seat, then the pegs, and finally the handlebars.

Thanks !
adoptamutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #686
The Jerk OP

Sync the carbs. If that doesn't do it then compression and/or leakdown testing.

When was the last time the valve clearances were adjusted?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #687
WikdBeemer
Older but still riding

Oddometer: 210
Does anyone else have an opinion about how loud the standard pipes are when the baffles are removed?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #688
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by WikdBeemer View Post
Does anyone else have an opinion about how loud the standard pipes are when the baffles are removed?
I have both an 08 Bonnie and a W650 and the W sounds great compared to the Triumph. If I recall correctly the baffles in the stock mufflers have three chambers and it gets louder as you go through each one. I think this can be done with a hole saw but I could be wrong as I have not tried it.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #689
Speedo66
Transient

Post #678 on this page also has some info on sound with baffles removed.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #690
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptamutt View Post
I bought a 2000 W650 in April and it seems to have too much engine vibration coming through the seat.... my butt tingles after just 10 miles ! Any ideas ?

Background: The bike has 37K miles, it's been rejetted, stock mufflers, air pump removed. It has Progressive fork springs installed, stock rear shocks set at the #4 setting, new Dunlop Arrowmax tires.

I had a 1992 TDM850 before, which is a 850cc parallel twin with a single counter balance shaft like the W650, but that engine was way smoother. I thought the smaller W650 would be smoother than the larger TDM motor.

My brother said perhaps the carbs need to be synch'ed. Anything else ? I have a Corbin Gunfighter seat installed. The worse high frequency vibration comes thru the seat, then the pegs, and finally the handlebars.

Thanks !
Mine has a vibration at lower engine speeds, like 60-65 MPH in 5th. And that's the reason I always ride it at an indicated 75-80, which is probably about 5-7 MPH optimistic.

Speedo66 screwed with this post 07-07-2011 at 05:43 AM