Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #811
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
Bars are 28 in. wide.
Thanks. I was hoping that they were narrower. I was thinking that if I got some 32" wide low bars then the high bar cable routing would not be such a problem. Guess I will stick with the high bars for now.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #812
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,670
Barnone--its worth the effort to get rid of those high bars--even if you have use the cable routing I did. I note that acap650 was able to do a cleaner routing that I was. The bars and shims are cheap, and the re-routing is relatively easy. You'll be really pleased with the difference in the riding position.

I had a local bike shop order Bikemaster bars--I don't recall which ones, but they were the ones with the lowest rise, except for drag bars (I tried those first but didn't like the look, plus the bottom of the left switch gear hit the fuel tank).

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #813
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360

These are the Norman Hyde "M" bars. Very popular on the new Bonnevilles. They are a little too narrow for my taste. The steep angle of the ends make it hard to adjust the bar-end mirrors too.

rider929 screwed with this post 12-21-2011 at 01:39 PM
rider929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #814
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Barnone--its worth the effort to get rid of those high bars--even if you have use the cable routing I did. I note that acap650 was able to do a cleaner routing that I was. The bars and shims are cheap, and the re-routing is relatively easy. You'll be really pleased with the difference in the riding position.

I had a local bike shop order Bikemaster bars--I don't recall which ones, but they were the ones with the lowest rise, except for drag bars (I tried those first but didn't like the look, plus the bottom of the left switch gear hit the fuel tank).

That's right, the bars I got from Motorcycle Superstore were Bikemaster, not Emgo. Euro bend. These are the ones http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #815
igozumn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Cool thread!

Wanted to pop in here and say thanks to everyone on this thread. I bought a well used W650 about a year and a half back with 25,000 miles on it, that the previous owner had hooked up the battery backwards. The pictures that were posted by "The JerK" of the electrical box on the LH side were of great help to me before the bike arrived, as were the photos of the windshields posted by "Kentucky". I'd been meaning to get on here and say "Hey", but just now got around to doing it. So, "Hey" and Thanks!

Chris

igozumn screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 03:07 PM
igozumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #816
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by igozumn View Post
Wanted to pop in here and say thanks to everyone on this thread. I bought a well used W650 about a year and a half back with 25,000 miles on it, that the previous owner had hooked up the battery backwards. The pictures that were posted by "The JerK" of the electrical box on the LH side were of great help to me before the bike arrived, as were the photos of the windshields posted by "Kentucky". I'd been meaning to get on here and say "Hey", but just now got around to doing it. So, "Hey" and Thanks!

Chris

Nice, welcome, good luck with it!

Looks like it's got a 2000 model seat. Are those highway pegs?

If so, could you post a close up of how they're mounted?

Old 12-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #817
igozumn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Yep, 2000 seat. Someday might pick up an '01 seat just to see if it's as comfy as some say they are. Like the looks of the '00 seat better, but might as well be sitting on some high school bleachers, LOL. The pegs are mounted to a Kaw crash bar. Getcha a pic tomorr....errr.....hang on a sec.

Don't really have any pics of the bar yet, so this one's been cropped. Let me know and I'll take some better ones in the next day or so. Bought the crashbar off ebay and it already had some pegs mounted on it. Works well for me so far.

Need to take the shield back off and go for another ride. It's a Memphis Shades Roadmaster that I scored for about half price. Really liked the wind staying off the hands when it's cold, but the turbulence from the shield was almost unbearable. It either needs to be 4 inches taller or 4 or 5 inches shorter. Even at 25mph, it got noisy. If I stood up on the pegs, it was quiet, and if I ducked down behind it, all you heard was the engine singing. Bought it as an experiment, so some more playing around with it isn't a problem.

Chris

igozumn screwed with this post 12-25-2011 at 07:42 PM
igozumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #818
Speedo66
Transient

Nope, that's great, thanks for the photo.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #819
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

A little winter maintenance . . .

After a really nice New Year's Eve and New Year's Day in Northern Virginia, the weather's turned . . . about 35 out now and blowing like stink!

Sounds like a good time for a little Dubya maintenance. Its got about 10,500 miles, with half of that since I bought it a couple of years ago. (Too many bikes in the garage for any one to be ridden all the time)! I've wanted to check the swingarm bearings for a while, and both fenders are pretty rusty on the inside. I love the engineering that went into this bike, but the chrome sucks!!

I hadn't had to remove the rear wheel yet (had a shop mount the new tires). When I took out the axle, I marveled at the chain adjuster mechanism. Really simple, a nice piece of engineering. Kawasaki didn't have to make them as nicely as this, but I'm glad they did. You don't even have to mess with the chain adjustment to pull the rear wheel--the slider comes off the axle and you've all the room in the world to slip the chain off . .

Fenders later, but wanted to show some photos of the swing arm bearings.

Unlike some bikes I've had, removing the Dubya swingarm is pretty simple. Only problem I encountered was having to knock the singarm pivot shaft out with a drift. This is what it looked like . . . ugh!

Other than that, everything looks pretty good. Rear brakes have material left, but I'll probably replace the shoes as they're original, 11 years old. All the wheel bearings feel good.

Sprocket doesn't show too much wear.

Cush drive fine.

Here's the sleeve that's over the swingarm pivot shaft. I cleaned it up as best I could on the inside--outside is cherry.

Bearings are fine, but need grease . . .

So they get some!

That shaft needed some work . . . .

And a good greasing before putting back.

Maybe I just got carried away, but even put anti-seize on the swingarm pivot nut.

I'm glad I did this. Took less than two hours, and I certainly wasn't rushing. I'm a pretty poor mechanic, so I like to take my time and label everything, make sure I know how to get it back together.

As you can see, the bearings were in good shape but definitely needed some grease. I've seen threads where folks have put zerk fittings on their swingarms, but that seems like overkill on a street bike. Still might do it if I rode this one in the rain regularly.

If I'd left that swingarm pivot shaft another year it would have been a problem. Corrosion was definitely getting to it, but cleaning it and the housing up, and the grease, should cure it.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #820
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

ORexpat,
Thanks for the excellent photos and write up on the swing arm maintenance. I put a grease fitting on my ex Ascot VT500FT and will do the same on my W if I can find the tap.

I got tired of being asked what year Triumph so I got some tank decals. A little long but ok for now.

Barnone screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 12:27 PM
Old 01-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #821
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Looks nice--saw the photo in the Yahoo Group.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #822
Speedo66
Transient

Funny about the chrome being poor, everything else seems so well made. Now early Triumphs, they'd short out and vibrate apart around you, but their chrome always lasted.

I'm noticing some freckling under my rear fender, may be time to remove and prime before it gets too bad.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #823
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

The Jerk's pictorial on page 48 of this thread was helpful--especially where he disconnected the taillight.

When I get the fender done I'll post some photos of that. Defintely worth doing, and not hard. Front fender is only 4 bolts, and as The Jerk noted, you can take the rear fender off without removing the rear wheel. I took mine off only to get to the swingarm.

Hammerite, which I found in the paint section of the local hardware store, is advertized as encapsulting rust, but I got rid of as much of the rust as I could before I used it. Following the Hammerite with primer and silver paint.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #824
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Interesting comment about the windshield. I've noticed that an ill-fitting windshield can definitely increase buffeting and noise. My old WeeStrom would buffet badly in trafffic, though it was OK out in clean air.

I've got a GS with both modified stock and larger aftermarket shields. They both work pretty well. I've also got an older RT with an electric shield. The RT in a lower position throws air right into my face--very noisy. For a touring bike, it's a poor windshield choice. Maybe someday I'll get around to putting an aftermarket shield on it.

My Dub will stay naked, I think. If it was a commuter or tourer, I'd look at a shield, but some of the buffeting and noise you're getting might be coming from wind getting underneath the shield.

No good answers, but its all fun. I really enjoy the Dub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
ORexpat,

Also added a windshield but I guess it is too small since the wind noise is worse.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #825
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

ORexpat,
I am going to ride a bit more with the windshield before it gets removed and returned. Maybe a little adjustment will help. I don't commute or tour with my W either so maybe naked is the way to go. Guess I just can't keep from fooling around with my bikes.