Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #1171
bikersnotz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I've been considering the progressive 970 series. I've sent an inquiry email but I think they are on vacation this week. If I hear something good back I'll be sure to share.

Also ordered a set of progressive front replacement springs. I'm not sure if the emulators are better, but I have only basic tools so I'm limited.
bikersnotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #1172
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Good rubber is a must too. If your bike has original tires on it, they'll be hard as a rock, with an equal lack of traction. Not to mention the dry rot!! Quite a variety of opinions on tires (like rear ends, everybody's got one . . . ). I have Metzler Lasertechs and think they're OK, but nothing special. Next time think I'll go for the Bridgestone BT-45s.
The tires aren't original, but are at least 5 years old.
It's my wife's bike, and she's not going to wear out the tires, unless she drastically increases her yearly mileage. So, I'm thinking of a really good tire for any weather condition (unpredictable rain around here). I don't really care how long it lasts, as long as it sticks well. Open to suggestions.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #1173
zwish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Oil & Filter

Hello everyone! I'm about to change the oil and filter and I read earlier in this thread that the filter cover is sometimes an issue. I was looking at this filter:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?Prod=KN-204

It says that it fits a 2000 W650, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone had any recommendations. Also, I know this is beat to death on loads of other forums, but are you guys just running regular 10-30W or 10-40W non synthetic? I'm at 4700 miles.

Haven't ridden since May due to a painter taking 13 weeks longer than initially quoted!!! I think I'll finally be getting it back this weekend.
zwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #1174
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwish View Post
Hello everyone! I'm about to change the oil and filter and I read earlier in this thread that the filter cover is sometimes an issue. I was looking at this filter:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?Prod=KN-204

It says that it fits a 2000 W650, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone had any recommendations. Also, I know this is beat to death on loads of other forums, but are you guys just running regular 10-30W or 10-40W non synthetic? I'm at 4700 miles.

Haven't ridden since May due to a painter taking 13 weeks longer than initially quoted!!! I think I'll finally be getting it back this weekend.
A bible on motorcycle oil filters is at
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html
The 5 list is for the W650
From That Site:
"W650 2000-2001 [5]

[5]
These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1.5mm threads,
14 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve,
2.3" O.D. gasket
2.5" to 3.5" long.
If you have the room, I recommend the longer filters." Note that this is his recommendation.

Pick one of his recommended ones. I use the 3.5" filter and to retain the chrome cover (which isn't necessary) I use longer bolts.
For oil I use Shell Rotella-Synthetic-5W-40 but there are many opinions and choices.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #1175
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,636
Roger Rotella synthetic. I use it too.

I spring for genuine grade-A number1 Quacker filters from my LBS.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #1176
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,206
I elected to forgo the filter cover in the belief that it was blocking cooling air from reaching the filter. Probably my imagination, but it sounds good.

As far as lubricant, Castrol Motorcycle oil, 20W50 in the tropical summers of the NE.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #1177
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
I elected to forgo the filter cover in the belief that it was blocking cooling air from reaching the filter. Probably my imagination, but it sounds good.
Speedo66,
I have often thought about leaving the chrome cover off but I would probably never be able to find it again.

I wonder if these wrap around aluminum finned oil filter coolers would help cool the oil? I do have an oil temp gauge but it would be hard to get a good test.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #1178
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Speedo66,
I have often thought about leaving the chrome cover off but I would probably never be able to find it again.

I wonder if these wrap around aluminum finned oil filter coolers would help cool the oil? I do have an oil temp gauge but it would be hard to get a good test.

I just stuck the filter cover in the same bag as the other items I removed, i.e., the high handlebars, the original grips, the tail light, turn signals, etc.

I'm assuming the fins on those coolers would help in heat transfer, at least the natural colored one.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #1179
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, I got all that stuff around here some where or there (SWFL or WNC).

The W650 is such a sweet bike to ride.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #1180
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 300
Cold blooded W

Recently bought a near new 2000 W650. I love this bike! However, there are a few things I'm working on improving. I ride to work, but my commute is under 2 miles. I know, I know. I should ride a bicycle, run, etc. Screw that. That's what a motorcycle is for! Much more fun. However, this bike is cold blooded, as I'm sure you all know. 5 minute long warm ups with full choke, all while the bike makes a huge racket in my garage. And it's summer!

I've found a relatively cheap way to greatly reduce warm up time. First step I did was to turn the fuel air screws out 3 full turns. My bike is completely stock.

Second step was to purchase a Model 9 125 volt, 120 watt engine heater from Wolverine ($53.95). http://www.wolverineheater.com/product-p/9.0.htm. This model just barely fits, with the cord attachment point sticking off the back side of the engine casing. No problem, I just used the supplied high temp silicone to fill the gap. This sucker heats the entire engine, from top to bottom. No more cold starts. I just plug it in over night, and in the morning, start the bike with full choke as I put on my helmet and gloves. No more bucking and sputtering. Hid the pig tail under the seat.

Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #1181
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Gonad,
I know you don't want to hear it but a less than two mile ride is bad for your W650's engine.
The build up of moisture and incompletely burned fuel is typical of short trip driving and can lead to the formation of acids in the engine oil even with the heater. Damage to your W650 is likely since the engine oil may not heat up sufficiently to allow contaminants to boil off.
Just saying....
Old 08-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #1182
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Gonad,
I know you don't want to hear it but a less than two mile ride is bad for your W650's engine.
The build up of moisture and incompletely burned fuel is typical of short trip driving and can lead to the formation of acids in the engine oil even with the heater. Damage to your W650 is likely since the engine oil may not heat up sufficiently to allow contaminants to boil off.
Just saying....
Whatever, DAD! Just kidding! Riding the W650 to work is much more economical than driving my car or truck (and fun, for that matter). Of the 1000 or so miles I ride a month, only 40 of those are from commuting. I'll take my chances, and change my oil frequently.

Burninator screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 06:23 PM Reason: Spelling, of course.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #1183
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

If you're riding that much, you'll be fine. Dubya's are pretty well made . . . .

Old 08-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #1184
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Out for a ride today

Old 08-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #1185
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

ORexpat,
Great photos, like your black and white treatment.