User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #1201
zwish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Leaking Petcock

So I got my tank back this morning and I installed it and filled it up with a bit of gas.

The problem now is that the petcock is leaking very badly. This was not an issue when I removed the tank from the bike 3 months ago. There are 4 tubes connected to the tank. Coming from the petcock, there is the Fuel Line and the Vacuum hose. Then there are the two vent hoses coming directly from the tank. These are not connected to anything, the hoses just run down past the engine and exit at the bottom of the bike. I have all of these connected but it looks like the petcock is leaking from the fuel line spout as well as the body of the petcock. When I have the tank off of the bike with gas in the tank, gas will leak from the petcock (even when it is set to on or reserve). It doesn't appear that gas is leaking from the seal where the petcock meets the tank. Any ideas/suggestions. Thanks!

zwish screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 09:11 PM
zwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #1202
bikersnotz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
My first thought is perhaps the diaphragm in the petcock is seated incorrectly or perhaps has gone bad. I thought the system maybe used a diaphragm to open the flow.

However, the manual suggests replacing the o-rings and gasket inside the petcock if it is leaking.

Hope that helps!
bikersnotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #1203
bikersnotz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49

The manual suggests replacing 92055A, 92055B, 43049 (though doesn't seem likely its the culprit), and 670. Not actual part numbers though.

And in case the image link doesn't work

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslis...69569_e587.gif

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
bikersnotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #1204
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
I'm installing heated grips and a controller for a heated jacket on my wife's W650. Unlike my Wee, I care how clean this install is, and there's not really a dashboard.

Does anybody have pictures of switches or knobs mounted to their W650? I'd love to see some examples.

Thanks
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #1205
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 903
Thumb

I have now removed the KAC stuff and bike runs a tiny bit smoother & revs did increase a bit..... not other noticable effects.... so alls good

Fitted some lower bars too - just used some strips of 1.5mm ally sheet as packing...... mucho better

.....of course, me being British, I haven't had chance to test it far as its been raining last couple of days - also its a Bank Holiday weekend so thats normal

Final thing is to fit a decent (read: smaller) rear light unit - I'll move it nearer the seat too!
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #1206
zwish
Adventurer

Petcock Solved!

So it turns out that the seal from the fuel spout exiting the petcock was weak/deteriorated. This spout is the piece that the rubber fuel line actually connects to. There is a small ring-groove cut around the top of this piece where it inserts into the petcock and it looks as though there was once a rubber washer inside that groove. It has either deteriorated in the 3 month period or has mysteriously disappeared.

I figured since I would most likely end up purchasing a new petcock that I didn't mind taking a chance with this one. I decided to give it a go with some trusty JB Weld. Pulled the piece out, lathered it up with the nice sticky greyish-brown mess, and here we are. No leak. Bike running great. Just needed to ensure that I didn't put too much JB on that it would smoosh up and obstruct the flow of fuel.

I'll snap some photos today or tomorrow. The tank without the knee pads or emblems looks very sharp in my opinion.

zwish screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 06:04 AM
Old 08-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #1207
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,316
[QUOTE=

Final thing is to fit a decent (read: smaller) rear light unit - I'll move it nearer the seat too![/QUOTE]

Here's a photo of the one I'm using. Cast aluminum with a Lucas style lens. Two chrome 7/8" carriage bolts fill in the lower holes.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #1208
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 903
Hey Speedo66, that looks real good - I was thinking along the same lines with the old BSA/Triumph alloy light unit May just have to do the same !
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #1209
zwish
Adventurer

Photo Warning!

Shot some photos yesterday after I got the petcock issue sorted:

Changes so far:

- Tank painted (kneepads removed/filled)
- LSL Flat Track Seat
- Bikemaster Superbike Handlebars (short cables installed)
- Aftermarket Turnsignals from Dime City
- LED Lucas Style Taillight from Dime City

This paint scheme was not my original idea, but we were having some issues getting decals to work. I'll probably do a different paint scheme this winter and get those classic Kawasaki Flyer badges. For now, I'm pretty psyched and it's running great.

I'm going to get some more miles on it and then reassess adjusting the air mixture screws and the KAC.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #1210
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,652
Looks great! Now to get it dirty out on the road . . . .

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #1211
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,316
Bike looks great, love the seat.

Let us know how comfortable the seat is after you get some miles on it.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #1212
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Looks great!

How did you adapt 7/8" bars to the 1" triple clamps? I've never had to do that.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #1213
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,652
Shims

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Looks great!

Some folks use home-made shims. I've read of some of them slipping.

Better idea: Google "Problem Solvers" bicycle handlebar shims. Your local bike shop can get them from Quality Bicycle wholesalers, plus Amazon and other on-line folks have them. Get the size for 7/8" to 1". They're ribbed, soft aluminum and work really well. Cheap, too.

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/handlebar_shims/

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #1214
zwish
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Bike looks great, love the seat.

Let us know how comfortable the seat is after you get some miles on it.
I put 100 miles on the bike yesterday. I like the seat much more than stock. I felt like I was on top of the bike as opposed to in the bike with the stock seat. I also felt like it was tilted slightly forward, so that in combination with the high stock handlebars made for a very uncomfortable ride. The LSL seat is a huge improvement for me. It's much lower so you definitely get that "in the bike" feel, but it's not as squishy/padded as I was thinking it was going to be. I think it could use a tiny bit more padding, but it's not uncomfortable at all. I found the stock seat to be very bulky/ugly and seemed like an afterthought to the rest of the bike. The LSL is very svelte and looks great. If I had to do it again, I would definitely still purchase the LSL seat.

I put 6k miles on a 2008 Triumph Bonneville and I found that to be one of the most comfortable bikes I'd ever ridden. The seat in combination with the Norman Hyde M handlebars was perfect. However, the bike just felt like it didn't have any character compared to the vintage bikes that I've owned in the past and it was heavy as hell. It also had too much power for what i'm trying to do. I like a bike that is capable of stints on the highway, but more importantly, I want a lightweight, zippy little bike that I can tear around 40-50 mph roads with. It's the whole "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" kind of thing. The powerband of the 650 feels great though. It's got more juice than I need, but it's good to have since my gf and I share one car. I feel like you can ride it a tiny bit harder than the 865cc Bonneville and keep it at reasonable speeds, but it's still damn quick. If someone made a classic looking 450cc, 6 speed, 300-350lb bike, I'd be all over it.

I can't wait to rack up the miles on the W!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #1215
zwish
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Looks great!

Here's my post from earlier in the thread:

http://www.amazon.com/Problem-Solver.../dp/B001F2Y2RO

"So I picked up the shims today. The "Problem Solvers" that I linked to earlier really did the trick. I put them in a vice and cut them in half with a hack saw (very easy to cut through, took about 2 min to do both sets). These Problem Solvers are just thick enough to give you as tight a grip as the stock 1" bars would. I originally had bought some EMGO 7/8" to 1" shims, and these DID NOT work due to not being thick enough. Just a heads up to anyone in the same position."