Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #1231
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwish View Post
For you folks who have done Capt. Jake's air mixture screw mod,

What method did you use to drill through the caps? Currently, I don't have a Dremel and I'm trying to see if there is a simple way to do it without having to buy one. Thanks.
My Dremel was in NC and I was in FL so I used this method. Bought the pin vise at Harbor Freight.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/W650ri...Cap%20Removal/
It that files section there is a write up on about anything that can be done to a W650.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #1232
harryx5
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi all,
As a new owner of a 1999 W650 here in Sydney, Australia, I have just read this entire thread and the info is fantastic! I hope this is not considered hijacking, but...

I'm in the process of tidying up the previous owner's work, especially the clean air injection stuff.
My engine and plumbing looks a little different to the pictures and info I've found on this and other sites:

Obviously I need to replace these covers. It looks like the previous owner used a couple of rubber corks!

This is the setup on the left side of the bike. I will remove the open pipe from the airbox and replace it with the correct plug. The pipe has been left open for some time, I assume this is not good? Does everything else look correct?

This is the setup on the right side of the bike. Does this look correct? I can't tell if that is the correct 3-way vacuum connector, and if the right side carb should have that rubber cap, or some other plumbing?

I am mechanically minded, just not experienced with this type of work.

Your advice is really appreciated. Photos of the bike to follow very soon.

harryx5 screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 07:06 PM Reason: Spelling
harryx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #1233
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryx5 View Post

Obviously I need to replace these covers. It looks like the previous owner used a couple of rubber corks!
Yes, the covers are replaceable. The bike was sold in some markets without the air injection system, so the covers are available without the holes.

Here are the Kawasaki parts numbers for what you need:

11060-1886 x 4, gasket.
11065-1135 x 2, cover plates.
92005-1017 x 1, vacuum T.
92066-1389 x 1, airbox plug.

Quote:
This is the setup on the left side of the bike. I will remove the open pipe from the airbox and replace it with the correct plug. The pipe has been left open for some time, I assume this is not good? Does everything else look correct?

That's very not good. The pipe comes in above the air filter so it has been dumping unfiltered air into your engine for who knows how long.

Quote:
This is the setup on the right side of the bike. Does this look correct? I can't tell if that is the correct 3-way vacuum connector, and if the right side carb should have that rubber cap, or some other plumbing?
The stock setup with air injection was to have a 4-way vacuum connector. One hose to each carb, one to the petcock and one to the air injection valve. After surgery you should have a 3-way connector with one hose to each carb and one to the petcock. There should not be a rubber cap on the right side carb, it should have a vacuum hose on it connected to the 3-way connector.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #1234
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryx5 View Post

No, that is not the 3-way vacuum fitting. That is the float bowl vent for the carburetors.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #1235
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
I've always wanted to add this to my W650 seat collection.

From VD Classic. http://www.vd-classic.com/EN/access.php?acc=650w
Possibly I missed it but what brand are those pipes?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #1236
harryx5
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
No, that is not the 3-way vacuum fitting. That is the float bowl vent for the carburetors.
Thanks Mr Jerk, much appreciated.

It looks pretty simple now but seeing it for the first time was a little confusing.

By the way, for anyone else in this position, this link with diagrams is helpful: http://www1.cncm.ne.jp/~yamaguti/W65...t%20KCA(E).htm

Cheers.
harryx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #1237
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
Possibly I missed it but what brand are those pipes?
Don't know. Pic was lifted from VD Classic site to show their seat.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:18 AM   #1238
bikersnotz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Parts and things

Still trying to piece my new-to-me W back together. It's spent more time in a garage than it has on the street!

I ordered a bunch of parts through w650shop.de, and so far its been a bit of a frustrating experience. Perhaps others have had more success than I. 3 weeks after I ordered, I finally got a beat up of box parts that reminds me of how I moved in college - throw everything in a box and sort it out later Anyway, there's a bunch of parts missing and without a packing list I have no idea if the parts were ever there or if they fell out through 1 of the 3 holes. Communicating with the shop has been just about as "rewarding" .

The good new is that with all this sitting in one place my bike has revealed a slight oil leak...-sigh-. Seems I'm in the same boat as Harryx5, tidying up previous "enhancements".

I had been searching for some replacement shocks, and it seems the Klaus is the man to talk to http://www.epmperf.com/. I'm going to try a pair of YSS piggyback shocks. Actually the least expensive option for piggybacks I have found (even though I am in France).

Also found an online source for the shop manual. http://tbit.ws/99097290
bikersnotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:25 AM   #1239
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,698
You should join the Yahoo Group. W650riders@yahoogroups.com ; They have resources and links section for members. A PDF of the shop manual is there, along with lots of how-to articles, parts diagrams, etc.

The back-and-forth postings in the forum get a little off-topic sometimes--and you'll detect some interesting opinions, but the Group is an excellent source of information and advice.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #1240
bikersnotz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
You should join the Yahoo Group. W650riders@yahoogroups.com ; They have resources and links section for members. A PDF of the shop manual is there, along with lots of how-to articles, parts diagrams, etc.

The back-and-forth postings in the forum get a little off-topic sometimes--and you'll detect some interesting opinions, but the Group is an excellent source of information and advice.

I'm already all up in that.
bikersnotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #1241
zwish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
So I performed the air mixture screw adjustment (3 turns out) and I really don't detect much of a difference at all. The bike still takes quite a while to get up to operating temperatures and I'm still getting a good amount of backfire/popping on deceleration. It's not performing poorly by any means, it's just not really the improvement I was looking for. I might try backing them out a tiny bit more, but I don't really want to sacrifice any fuel economy.

Also, I learned something pretty quickly this weekend. In addition to gripping the tank, the right kneepad keeps your knee at a safe distance from the Bevel Drive Cover. If you aren't careful when the pads are removed you can easily give that toasty cover a nice squeeze. It's not at all difficult to avoid, it's just something you need to be aware of.

zwish screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 07:18 AM
zwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #1242
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,940
zwish,
I am running three turns out just fine and others are at three and a half or more. That is the only mod to my engine except for the removal of the air injection system.

What other mods to the engine on your W650?

You might have a vacuum leak somewhere which is causing your engine to run lean. You might try the WD40 spray test to see if you can detect a vacuum leak.

Have you checked the balance between the two carburetors?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone

Bar None screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 08:19 AM
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #1243
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwish View Post
I might try backing them out a tiny bit more, but I don't really want to sacrifice any fuel economy.
It shouldn't affect your fuel economy at all as the air screws only alter the mixture around idle speeds. Above idle it is the jets and needles which determine the mixture. They are pretty cold-blooded engines and there's not a great deal you can do about that; if it won't ride off with the choke still on after a minute or two (ie, while you put your hat on) then look to your plugs, main jets and needles. Check the air filter box, rubbers and filters haven't been tampered with as the factory jetting etc is set for the standard airbox setup. A bit of popping is normal for a big parallel twin on overrun but you'll get far less if you blank the air injection. If it is blanked off then you probably have an air leak in the exhaust header gaskets.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #1244
zwish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
zwish,
I am running three turns out just fine and others are at three and a half or more. That is the only mod to my engine except for the removal of the air injection system.

What other mods to the engine on your W650?

You might have a vacuum leak somewhere which is causing your engine to run lean. You might try the WD40 spray test to see if you can detect a vacuum leak.
No other mods to the engine. I'll grab some starter fluid and check for a vacuum leak. Thanks for the tip!
zwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #1245
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,698
You might run the same sorts of checks on the hoses for the air injection system too, if you still have it. Mine's there but blocked off. The hoses can deteriorate and split.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote