Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #1276
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,636
Plug the hose that leads to the "T" in the exhaust system. I did that, until the marble eventually split the hose. So I went to the auto parts store and bought two rubber vacuum caps. Took the hose off that connects the exhaust to the junction sitting on top of the valve cover, plugged both openings with the caps, and--same result as the marble.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #1277
zwish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Ticking Sound

So another new thing has come up as I'm familiarizing myself with the bike. As I ride, there is a ticking sound that corresponds with the engine speed. It seems like it's coming from the head of the engine if I lean down to the left to listen for it. If you clutch-in, you can hear the ticking noise slow down as the revs decrease. I didn't seem to notice this before, it seems to have started up within the last few rides (it definitely could have been present though).

The only thing that I've changed recently is oil and filter. The filter is fit snug.

- Shell Rotella 5W-40
- Purolator Filter

Anyways, just curious if you guys had this on your bikes or you knew the cause. Thanks!

zwish screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 08:25 AM
zwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #1278
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Likely the bevel drive. The lore is that it's a bitch to adjust, best left to the truly knowledgable. I've read that it can be adjusted to tick at idle, or tick at speed-take your choice. Shouldn't be a problem as long as its really the bevel drive and not a valve.

I just listen to the tick and enjoy the "character."

Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #1279
zwish
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Likely the bevel drive. The lore is that it's a bitch to adjust, best left to the truly knowledgable. I've read that it can be adjusted to tick at idle, or tick at speed-take your choice. Shouldn't be a problem as long as its really the bevel drive and not a valve.

I just listen to the tick and enjoy the "character."
Hah! Fair enough. The bike seems to be running great. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't harming anything.

zwish screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 08:42 AM
Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #1280
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwish View Post
Hah! Fair enough. The bike seems to be running great. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't harming anything.
I've owned three W650s and they all do/did the ticking noise.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #1281
zwish
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I've owned three W650s and they all do/did the ticking noise.
Ok awesome. Good to know. I've been doing some "spirited" riding since becoming more comfortable with the bike and I wanted to make sure that didn't contribute to anything. Thanks very much.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #1282
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 898
Wicked

Nice bike.....

More details here: http://www.junkboy.net/MALUS.html
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #1283
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
I wonder what eliminating the airbox and running short, straight pipe will do for it? Other than making it annoying loud.

It's interesting to see how different the bike is with minimal frame mods. I like most of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford View Post
Nice bike.....

OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #1284
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford View Post
Nice bike.....

Really? More of a posercycle a la douch ex machina. And the tires must be a handful on grooved pavement - probably not much worse than the oem BS. At least he kept the front disk.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #1285
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Sorry . . . I like the style. Not quite what I'd do, but it's a good looking motorsickle. It may not run any better with the pipes and air filters than the stock set up, but it looks fine--and jetted right it shouldn't run any worse. Losing a bit of weight wouldn't hurt the performance any, though likely too loud for an old fart like me.

I keep the stock tail light and turn signals because I often ride in heavy traffic, and I want those things to be as visible as possible, so I'd not do the small tail light and no turn signals. But that's just me. This is a cool looking bike.

Beats an Orange County chopper six ways to Sunday.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #1286
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Daytona to New Orleans to Los Angeles

Finished prepping the W for a nice little ride. Leaving home in Daytona Beach next wednesday to ride to NOLA Motorsports Park to announce the season championship for the AMA Pro Road Racing season. Leaving the NOLA the following Monday to ride to LA (Pomona) to announce the AMA Pro Grand National Championship the following weekend. This will be my second coast to coast trip on the W. It is a fantastic touring motorcycle.

My route will be predominately a southern one across I-10 on the way out. Coming home will be a 6 or 7 day victory lap to celebrate the end of the 2012 racing season for me. It has been an amazing year announcing MotoGP twice, World Superbike and every round of the AMA Pro Road Racing season plus all but three rounds of the 2012 Grand National flat track season.

It would be cool to meet up with some W owners on the way home. I'm leaving LA on the 15th of October. Not sure exactly of my route back to Daytona but it will certainly include a good bit of two lane.
Barry
Old 09-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #1287
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Kentucky,
Sounds like a fun ride. I am in Robbinsville,NC and there are several other W owners around here so if you are in Western NC or Eastern TN give us a shout via this thread or PM and we will try and meet up.

Three W at Tellico Plains,TN
Old 09-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #1288
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Kentucky,
Sounds like a fun ride. I am in Robbinsville,NC and there are several other W owners around here so if you are in Western NC or Eastern TN give us a shout via this thread or PM and we will try and meet up.

Three W at Tellico Plains,TN
Cool. I may need to slip up to Charleston, WV soon. Maybe we can meet up.
Barry
Old 09-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #1289
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,480
OK so I go to fire up the W to take a ride today. It's been sitting unused about a month. Fire it up, it runs fine on the choke but as soon as it comes off the choke it's clear that it's running on only one cylinder.

Exhaust from #2 is cold, exhaust from #1 is normal. First thought is clogged pilot jet. Drop float bowl on #2 (which is full of fuel, no float bowl valve problem), remove main jet and pilot jet. Fuel in the float bowl is clean with no debris (I have a clear fuel filter installed between tank and carbs, it's clean). No blockages seen, blow 'em both out with carb cleaner and also squirt carb cleaner up into the jet holes in the carbs. Put it back together, no change.

Check the spark plugs out just in case it's an easy ignition problem (doesn't feel like an ignition problem but...), even swap the plugs between cylinders, no change.

I guess next step (which I was hoping to avoid) is pull carbs, disassemble and clean. That'll be a project for another day. Anybody got any other suggestions?

Will try to run it again in a couple days just in case the gas and carb cleaner I ran through today takes a little while to dissolve any gunk blocking things up. I hate pulling the carbs on this bike, it's such a project.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #1290
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Jerk,
You are getting spark to the none running cylinder,right?